PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter

TexasTonka
08-30-2014, 02:42 PM
My 2009 ACR had the Hennessy 650R package installed when I bought it. Basically headers, exhaust, MOPAR PCM and K&N filter from what I can tell. I have been reading around that the K&N can really mess with sensors although I haven't had any issues in my year of ownership (only 4000 miles). Car only has 4500 miles.

Question is should I go back to factory OEM Part # 05038070AA Stick with the K&N already installed or go with aftermarket like FRAM #CA9912

I know FRAM oil filters are NO BUENO, but their air filter side by side with an OEM looks identical.

If I am not having issues with the K&N should I stick with it or swap to OEM paper?

Advise would be appreciated with any facts or experience to back it up. I know the K&N filter doesn't add +15hp or anything, but it is on the car already. Beats spending $40+ for a OEM or $20 for a FRAM...

venomous08
08-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Mine has the K&N drop in filter. I have heard from others, that if you remove the rain deflector under high speed it can cause the filter to lift and not seal off. Referring to the inlet of the box to the top that goes to the throttle bodies. Mark J. and I have talked about this a while back. Partly the reason to not remove my rain deflector.

01sapphirebob
08-30-2014, 03:04 PM
From everything ive read the factory air filter is THE BEST filter for the GEN IV's. This coming from mr V-10 himself Dick winkles. Id go with the OEM.

JonB ~ PartsRack
08-30-2014, 05:00 PM
I have also chatted with Mr. DW, and Mr. CB3 before him.... both of these guys dislike the KN due the inevitable passage of dust-dirt DUE TO THE HIGHER CFM FLOW. And both of these V10 gurus are factory-trained to ALWAYS favor OE.

I like the deeper tone of the KN; and the 'crisper-snappier' throttle response. I keep my KNs oiled, but not OVER oiled......I faithfully change my motor oil every 3000 miles. I kept the rain baffle Installed in Pac-NW ! And I avoid dust storms, especially at high speeds.

It is a gimmick, but KN has a warrantee to cover engine damage 'proven' to come from their properly-maintained-lifetime filters!

TexasTonka
08-30-2014, 06:00 PM
I've never heard a factory engineer recommend anything but OEM parts. Can't see DW saying "hell yeah! Our OEM oil filter/air filter is junk use an amsoil oil filter and K&N..."

has as anyone heard or seen or been involved in sensor issues due to the oiled filter? I'm sure no one has ever dusted a motor with a K&N. Just didn't know in real life daily or racing applications if they fail either structurally or fail to filter effectively. I am keeping the rain guard installed. I can't see picking up much performance on the road with removing it. The cons out weigh the pros I think on that one. Strictly track car then maybe....

venomous08
08-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Then you really have to be careful when washing the car lol. I always pack a small towel in the filter box anyways.

Getnlwr
08-31-2014, 01:34 AM
Is there anything to gain from removing the rain deflector?

Late Apex
08-31-2014, 07:49 AM
TT, where owners have had problems with the K and N or any other oiled filter is where too much oil was applied and affects the sensor. As mentioned many times the Mopar OEM was tested a lot by engineers and found to give the best air flow. Thats all I use.

slowhatch
09-05-2014, 09:43 AM
I run a K&N drop in filter, with the rain deflector in place. I've never had any issues, nor have I ever heard issues from K&N's except for when you replace the entire intake system with their offering (which the MAF's don't seem to like). I don't think you can lose with either. I've also seen a dyno graph of a gen 4 picking up 7whp back to back from a K&N drop in replacement.

venomous08
09-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I run a K&N drop in filter, with the rain deflector in place. I've never had any issues, nor have I ever heard issues from K&N's except for when you replace the entire intake system with their offering (which the MAF's don't seem to like). I don't think you can lose with either. I've also seen a dyno graph of a gen 4 picking up 7whp back to back from a K&N drop in replacement.

When I bought my car it had the Typhoon setup on it. Its not for me so I went back to the stock system and a drop in K&N.

"Slow" my car never threw any CEL's with the Typhoon. I have heard the same thing about them though...

Shooter
09-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Kurt,
I have always run the K&N filter in my Gen 4's. NEVER had a hiccup, never threw a cell, and I'm not one to baby my cars. It's always been my 1st mod from JonB. The Typhoon is junk though, we already have a "cold air intake".

fwiw

Robert

TexasTonka
09-06-2014, 02:59 PM
I'll keep the K&N and the rain guard installed unless something pops up. Bought a paper filter for when I have the K&N out to clean and re oil. Appreciate all the input.

BillyC
09-06-2014, 05:25 PM
I'll keep the K&N and the rain guard installed unless something pops up. Bought a paper filter for when I have the K&N out to clean and re oil. Appreciate all the input.

I have K&N with a Green replacement and have not had issues.
But, don't think my setup is the same as yours?
Could you post a photo of your K&N setup.
Thanks,
BillyCany

sparkrn
09-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Gen 2 cars that were ACR's came from the factory with K&N filters! It was ok from Chrysler then, so I can't see why that would change. Don't get crazy with the oil and there the best filter available.