PDA

View Full Version : In search of the perfect lap timer / video system for Gen V

VENOM V
08-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi guys,

I've been using Harry's Lap Timer (Grand Prix) on my iPhone in combination with a high accuracy GPS and a plug-in wireless OBD module for speed / throttle / RPM overlay. Trouble is, it works about 1/3 of the time on the Viper, about 3/4 of the time on the Camaro. I get "unknown video error" and other errors. Sometimes it records lap times but not video. I'm tired of fussing with it and am ready to upgrade. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. NOT a lap timer application in a phone, something standalone and more high-end. I've tried several phone apps and I'm ready for something more serious.
2. Portable - I have two track cars and want to move it quickly and easily between the two.
3. Integrated video and sensors, hopefully all in one self-contained unit
4. Easy to use and process data. Easy to start / stop at the track (very important!). Easy to load track maps or record a new track (For example, Thunderhill 5-mile is so new it probably doesn't exist in many canned track maps). With Harry's it's nearly perfect and automatic- just overlay the video with OBD port data and the video is ready with the push of a button. If Harry's were more reliable, I would continue to use it.
5. OBD data - speed / throttle / RPM etc.
6. Accurate GPS
7. A bonus would be if it has an easy way to stitch together your best lap, corner-by-corner analysis, Etc.
8. Easy to use. I said it twice because this is the primary goal!

Does something like this exist or am I dreaming?

Thanks

Todd

Nambo
08-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Excellent question Todd as I am looking for the same thing. I am leaning towards the VBox Lite with the predictive lap timing feature but would love to hear some input from others.

05Commemorative
08-28-2014, 01:31 PM
same for me, using the same today and looking for the same things.

RSNAKE
08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
I use a combination of the AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD GP.

I like the system very much. You can use suction cup mounts. I had custom hard mounts made for my Gen V. I can put anyone in touch with the fabricator to have them duplicated.

I bought the AiM units from
http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%26_Associates_LLC/Welcome.html
Peter was very helpful with the set up.

Dusty1
08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Ditto on the AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD GP combo, easy to use in-depth data, predictive timing etc. The Solo DL is the while you are driving component the SmartyCam is your between runs learning tool that talks with the DL for all the OBDII data.

Peter is great to work with!

Richard

VENOM V
08-28-2014, 05:28 PM
RSNAKE and Dusty1, do you guys have any pics of your set ups? My main concern is portability so I easily can swap it between my two cars. I think I'd go with the SmartyCam HD rather than the GP as that would be easier to mount/dismount quickly.

Hard to visualize how I'd mount these. I suppose I could do two suction cups, one for the Solo and the other for the SmartyCam.

Thanks

RSNAKE
08-28-2014, 10:42 PM
RSNAKE and Dusty1, do you guys have any pics of your set ups? My main concern is portability so I easily can swap it between my two cars. I think I'd go with the SmartyCam HD rather than the GP as that would be easier to mount/dismount quickly.

Hard to visualize how I'd mount these. I suppose I could do two suction cups, one for the Solo and the other for the SmartyCam.

Thanks

A suction cup on the Solo DL and another on a SmartyCam HD would be fine. There is only one wire going from the OBD-II port to the Solo DL and one wire from the Solo DL to the SmartyCam. That is it for all data and power. They camera turns on automatically and the data is overlaid in real time as the video is recorded.

I had hard mounts made as the NASA rule book requires.

V10LEE
08-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Todd with the AIM system you can transfer it to one car to another. You just need the cables hooked up with the connectors on the second car.. I have a similar system that's on my kart. Where I can transfer it.. Tony at TC Design in Campbell does the professional installation on these systems..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5UbOBh0-yk&list=UUw9ytQTyLGRtiea0JQhtjlA

My friend Mike with the AIM DL unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eLHBxiLGkU

Redsled
08-28-2014, 11:11 PM
http://racepak.com/Loggers/IQ3.php

rw99
08-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Todd, whatever the solution, make sure the GPS rate is at least 10 Hz... 5 is OK, but 10+ gives the data resolution you'll want for fine analyses...

VENOM V
08-29-2014, 11:30 AM
A suction cup on the Solo DL and another on a SmartyCam HD would be fine. There is only one wire going from the OBD-II port to the Solo DL and one wire from the Solo DL to the SmartyCam. That is it for all data and power. They camera turns on automatically and the data is overlaid in real time as the video is recorded.

I had hard mounts made as the NASA rule book requires.

I will be running my Camaro in NASA full time next year, sounds like I need a hard mount for that. Hmmm, I'll have to do some thinking. Perhaps a Smartycam roll bar mount for the Camaro and a suction cup for my Viper, which is for fun HPDE days. Sounds like I need to call Peter to sort the details out.

VENOM V
08-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Todd with the AIM system you can transfer it to one car to another. You just need the cables hooked up with the connectors on the second car.. I have a similar system that's on my kart. Where I can transfer it.. Tony at TC Design in Campbell does the professional installation on these systems..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5UbOBh0-yk&list=UUw9ytQTyLGRtiea0JQhtjlA

My friend Mike with the AIM DL unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eLHBxiLGkU

Damn, that go kart vid is sucking me in slowly. So many toys, so little money left, LOL

Edwin's vid at T-hill West looks pretty awesome. I like the gage set up. Is that a standard set up, or do you need to buy an additional software module? Jeez, getting pricey this Aim stuff.

VENOM V
08-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Todd, whatever the solution, make sure the GPS rate is at least 10 Hz... 5 is OK, but 10+ gives the data resolution you'll want for fine analyses...

Noted, thanks Rich.

http://racepak.com/Loggers/IQ3.php

Thanks Jonathan. How do you incorporate video overlayed with data? I'm lazy, I'm hoping it's easy. With the Aim system, it looks somewhat automatic.

Are you going to be running a system at Laguna Seca? If so, I'd like to check it out.

XSnake
08-29-2014, 12:11 PM
AIM bought smartycam and now offers and all in one camera that you don't have to sync. It's on my short list due to simplicity alone. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car/smartycam-hd/

VENOM V
08-29-2014, 01:06 PM
AIM bought smartycam and now offers and all in one camera that you don't have to sync. It's on my short list due to simplicity alone. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/products-car/smartycam-hd/

If the SmartyCam HD can interface with and overlay OBDII data (speed, RPM, throttle, braking) without a Solo DL, then the SmartyCam HD may be all I need. I'll look into this more, as simplicity is very high on my priorities too.

Thanks

VENOM V
09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
DUSTY and RSNAKE and anyone else that knows,

I'm converging on using the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit in the Viper, at least for now (may add the Solo DL later, perhaps just in the Camaro).

For the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit, can you please confirm which of these are available through the OBDII port and will overlay on the video:

Speed
RPM
Throttle
Lap Time and Best Lap
Track Map
G’s
Would be nice, if available:
Brake
Gear

The AIM website doesn't show much data at all supported for Chrysler products, but it sounds like in-depth data is available from your experience.

Thanks guys, hoping to get this sorted quickly so I can use it at Laguna Seca in a couple weeks.

Todd

Dusty1
09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Venom V I run them both so haven't tried running the SmartyCam stand alone. The AIM interface picks up all the Dodge data that is available via the OBDII plug, the solo finds the track, and gives you predictive timing which is really helpful when driving to see if you are running really hot or not. Also gives you your fastest laps grouped. Peter can tell you what you get running the SmartyCam alone.

Richard

VENOM V
09-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Venom V I run them both so haven't tried running the SmartyCam stand alone. The AIM interface picks up all the Dodge data that is available via the OBDII plug, the solo finds the track, and gives you predictive timing which is really helpful when driving to see if you are running really hot or not. Also gives you your fastest laps grouped. Peter can tell you what you get running the SmartyCam alone.

Richard

Sounds encouraging. What is predictive time?

Todd

ProCoach
09-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jonathan. How do you incorporate video overlayed with data? I'm lazy, I'm hoping it's easy. With the Aim system, it looks somewhat automatic.

Thanks for the kind words, Richard and David! This tech is a WONDERFUL thing! Let me help answer a few questions in regard to Viper installs and options.

The AiM SmartyCam HD and the Video VBOX overlay information real-time onto the video. The cameras are more expensive than "action-cams" because they have processors and san operating system to convert the data and write it on top of the video so it's DONE when you come in. You can arrange the available information on the background of the video in a variety of ways, plus logos and other cool stuff, but the beauty of these two systems are that the data (speed, g's, lap times, day and date as well as most of the time a track map) are, at a minimum, on the video and playable on a laptop RIGHT away.

Other systems (MoTeC with DIVA or VCS, Traqmate with ChaseCam/GoPro/Replay, Race-Keeper) all record separate video and data files that are combined in the software when you replay it. This can also be done with third-party "rendering" that combines raw video with data exported from a variety of loggers. Unfortunately, this takes time and requires specialized knowledge and practice, often in short supply at a busy track day or Club race.

AiM has always designed and built the SmartyCam at their facility in Italy. Originally introduced in 2009, it went through a LOT of teething issues that tried the patience of consumers and dealer support folks alike. The HD version, introduced a year ago, is MUCH better. They held the release after the announcement FIFTEEN MONTHS rather than putting it out before it was ready. There are two versions, an all in one the size of a cigarette pack and a separate bullet cam/recorder box with preview screen (the all in one has that too) that work great. There is a delay in getting the all in one right now because they are incorporating an external mic input into the that model for the next revision, based on user feedback.

It is the simplest and most reliable option for "intelligent" video, that is data actually overlaid onto the video, ready to play when you return to the paddock.

If the SmartyCam HD can interface with and overlay OBDII data (speed, RPM, throttle, braking) without a Solo DL, then the SmartyCam HD may be all I need. I'll look into this more, as simplicity is very high on my priorities too.

Yes, the SmartyCam HD can interface with the standard OBD-II data template specifically for the later (post 2007) Vipers. Not a lot of information, but a very valuable! RPM and throttle input are the two big benefits. The SmartyCam HD, an external GPS-05B antenna and the ECU Bridge terminated in an OBD-II plug is all that is needed to generate the video. About $1418 using the all in one camera and $1548 using the separate bullet cam GP version, with antenna, cables and mounts.

The benefit of the Solo DL/SmartyCam HD combo is that you can now LOG (or save for later analysis and learning) this information, display it using the powerful Race Studio Analysis software (colored maps based on throttle percentage or engine RPM, for example) and have INCLUDED a display that shows lap times, lap count, speeds and, most importantly, predictive lap timing, basically the BEST in-car report card of what you are doing well and what can be done better... more on that later. Plus, the Solo DL eliminates the need for the ECU Bridge AND the antenna, because the Solo DL incorporates a GPS array of antennas and converts the OBD-II data from the ECU on it's own.

The Solo DL/SmartyCam HD all in one combo is less than $400 more than the SC HD/ECU Bridge bundles, including a mount for the Solo DL. It's a no brainer, IMO.

DUSTY and RSNAKE and anyone else that knows,

I'm converging on using the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit in the Viper, at least for now (may add the Solo DL later, perhaps just in the Camaro).

For the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit, can you please confirm which of these are available through the OBDII port and will overlay on the video:

Speed
RPM
Throttle
Lap Time and Best Lap
Track Map
G’s
Would be nice, if available:
Brake
Gear

The AIM website doesn't show much data at all supported for Chrysler products, but it sounds like in-depth data is available from your experience.

Thanks guys, hoping to get this sorted quickly so I can use it at Laguna Seca in a couple weeks.

Todd

For the ECU Bridge AND the Solo DL, you are correct!

Speed is GPS speed, either from the external antenna or the Solo DL.
RPM is provided
Throttle position (actually Pedal position, much more useful) is provided
Best Lap Time/Best Lap Number and Current Lap Time/Current Lap Number is provided
Track Map is provided for those in the database (almost ALL NA tracks, as well as worldwide). With a little time, you can make your own
Longitudinal and Lateral G's are included, VERY useful and a rough guide for comparative analysis to see where you're leaving room on the table for improvement
No Brake yet...
Gear is possible, based on speed and engine RPM. If you have patience and do the calibration (run through the gears from rest, staying in each gear for 5+ seconds), you can get that, but I think it's a PITA.

I can help (and others, I'm sure) get you ready for MRLS.

Sounds encouraging. What is predictive time?

Todd

Ah! Predictive Lap Time is one of the most utilized features by pro drivers to determine whether they are gaining or losing time through a corner or complex of corners by using a particular gear/line/approach or improving/losing in their brake application in longer brake zones. NOT available in the non-logging ECU Bridge setups, this is the major reason to go with the Solo DL.

You have two display options (I set this up on the Solo DL's I send out) to see this.

One is the PredT (or Predicted Time), which shows WHAT lap time you WOULD do if you were to keep up the same pace for the rest of the lap. Perfect for those evening bench racing discussions that end in "I lost EIGHT-TENTHS behind that P-car that pulled out as I was about to pass him." <grin> But this is a GREAT tool. It's a great carrot and provides constantly updated and a real-time progress bar on YOUR performance, BEFORE you come back in and download the data. This information is not displayable on the video. Yet.

The second is +/-, basically a real-time readout of the variance between what you're doing against the best you've done that session. I like this better because it keeps me from misting up and keeps me focused on the task at hand, which is "am I doing better doing it THIS way?" instead of focusing on a lap time that may or may not be attainable.

It's cool and both these systems (Video VBOX Pro and Lite, AiM SmartyCam HD with ECU Bridge/Solo DL or EVO4 logger) are really fantastic tools for knowing what you did and finding ways to improve...

XSnake
09-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I ordered the Smarty Cam HD and was told they won't be available for another 1.5 months. I'm guessing due to the revision for an external mic as Pro Coach posted.

ProCoach
09-10-2014, 11:03 AM
The GP version is available now in 60 degree and 120 degree FOV (field of view), I have several demo and slightly used SC HD's in stock.

Dusty1
09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
There you go, thanks ProCoach! Really enjoying mine, a wealth of information or humiliation depending on your results!

XSnake
09-10-2014, 11:46 AM
The GP version is available now in 60 degree and 120 degree FOV (field of view), I have several demo and slightly used SC HD's in stock.

What is the GP version?

ProCoach
09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
GP version is separate bullet camera/recorder body version. Same components as all in one, just packaged differently. Usually recommended for formula/sports racing cars but I have a lot of folks that like the separate version in a GT car. $100 more than the all in one.

Dusty1
09-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Allows you to position the screen on the dash easily and still have the classic over the shoulder shot.

Richard

XSnake
09-10-2014, 01:02 PM
GP version is separate bullet camera/recorder body version. Same components as all in one, just packaged differently. Usually recommended for formula/sports racing
cars but I have a lot of folks that like the separate version in a GT car. $100 more than the all in one.
ahhh, I'm looking for the all in one. If you had any of those I'd be interested. Might be worth it to wait for the updated version though.

ProCoach
09-10-2014, 02:00 PM
I have a few new all-in-ones, but they're only sold with other components in systems until I get the new batch. I have MANY GP versions, brand new.

I have some slightly used demo versions (still have the plastic protection over the preview lens, all have NEW optical lens covers, all have the latest firmware updated and have a free 32 GB Class 10 UHS-1 card included and FULL warranty from date of purchase, I am one of the largest authorized dealers in the country) for $200 less than new. In a closed car, the sound is fine.

I'd be glad to help, if I can.

XSnake
09-10-2014, 02:38 PM
I have a few new all-in-ones, but they're only sold with other components in systems until I get the new batch. I have MANY GP versions, brand new.

I have some slightly used demo versions (still have the plastic protection over the preview lens, all have NEW optical lens covers, all have the latest firmware updated and have a free 32 GB Class 10 UHS-1 card included and FULL warranty from date of purchase, I am one of the largest authorized dealers in the country) for $200 less than new. In a closed car, the sound is fine.

I'd be glad to help, if I can.
Thanks but I'm not interested in the GP setup

V10LEE
09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Just got my AIM system installed. A big thanks to TC Design..
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx171/rapid25_2012/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2fc69c8d.jpg (http://s753.photobucket.com/user/rapid25_2012/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2fc69c8d.jpg.html)

ProCoach
09-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Great install! If any part of that mount base is plastic, you might want to put a tether on that metal ring under the GPS connector ring nut.

If possible, that antenna should be as high as possible with a view of at least 180 degrees of the horizon.

Do you have an external power cable (cigarette lighter plug) or are you using an ECU Bridge?

Just got off the phone with Adrian and I am NOW a VOA Forum Sponsor!

VENOM V
09-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Guys,

I've ordered a SmartyCam HD and a Solo DL for my Viper from Peter Krause. Big thanks to RSNAKE, Dusty1 and V10LEE for your help on this, and connecting me with Peter Krause "ProCoach." This will be a simple portable system on suction cups.

Peter is not just selling me the stuff, he's pre-programming them with all of my tracks and other details at no charge!

I'll do a full write-up on how Laguna Seca 9/21 goes with this set-up.

I plan on doing something more sophisticated with Peter for my Camaro, which needs detailed data and alarms/LED warning lights for oil pressure, oil temp and brake pedal pressure.

Stay tuned!

Nambo
09-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Guys,

I've ordered a SmartyCam HD and a Solo DL for my Viper from Peter Krause. Big thanks to RSNAKE, Dusty1 and V10LEE for your help on this, and connecting me with Peter Krause "ProCoach." This will be a simple portable system on suction cups.

Peter is not just selling me the stuff, he's pre-programming them with all of my tracks and other details at no charge!

I'll do a full write-up on how Laguna Seca 9/21 goes with this set-up.

I plan on doing something more sophisticated with Peter for my Camaro, which needs detailed data and alarms/LED warning lights for oil pressure, oil temp and brake pedal pressure.

Stay tuned!

I have to thank you guys as well. After discussing the vbox and aim systems I ordered the same setup for my Viper from Peter as well. Definitely want to have it rigged up for COTA in December.

Dusty1
09-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Cool, see you at COTA in December!

Richard

XSnake
09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
I'll bring mine in Dec as well. Just won't have my car with it. That's one of the things that have me sold on the all in one version as well. Suction it on to any car just like you would a Go Pro.

XSnake
10-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Received my new all in one Smartycam HD today. VERY nice unit. I'll be testing it out at Sebring in a couple of weeks. Trying to figure out the best way to mount this thing to the cage

V10LEE
10-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Received my new all in one Smartycam HD today. VERY nice unit. I'll be testing it out at Sebring in a couple of weeks. Trying to figure out the best way to mount this thing to the cage

Sweet! Can't wait to see your video onboard the ACRX!

FLATOUT
10-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Man I am envious of you guys with these setups. I just don't get on track enough to invest that kind of money into it yet. Still using my gopro but might need to stepup to an actual telemtry system in the future.

ProCoach
10-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Fellows, the new Revision 2 SmartyCam HD is now available, the chief benefit being the ability to connect an external mic to the all in one version of the SmartyCam HD. Let me know if I can help!

V10LEE
10-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Fellows, the new Revision 2 SmartyCam HD is now available, the chief benefit being the ability to connect an external mic to the all in one version of the SmartyCam HD. Let me know if I can help!

PM sent thank you..

XSnake
10-24-2014, 09:54 PM
That's what I got :)

XSnake
11-12-2014, 06:15 AM
link to video from yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIXEGfYGOmg&list=UUtTp_0NGBhp_Jo2gzKnWKZw

I'll have to play with the setting to see if I can get the brake/throttle and the RPM displays to work. Very happy with video quality and the ease of use. Never had to think about the camera all day. Auto on & auto off. One less thing on your mind when strapping in.

ProCoach
11-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Matt, be glad to help you do that easily and quickly, just send me an email at the addy on the bottom of my homepage under my profile and I'll walk you through it.

XSnake
11-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Matt, be glad to help you do that easily and quickly, just send me an email at the addy on the bottom of my homepage under my profile and I'll walk you through it.

Thanks and sent!!

ViperGeorge
11-17-2014, 05:35 PM
link to video from yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIXEGfYGOmg&list=UUtTp_0NGBhp_Jo2gzKnWKZw

I'll have to play with the setting to see if I can get the brake/throttle and the RPM displays to work. Very happy with video quality and the ease of use. Never had to think about the camera all day. Auto on & auto off. One less thing on your mind when strapping in.

Nice video but could you mount the camera closer to front windshield? It gives a much better view of track that way. By the way, I have the Racelogic Vbox Lite in my car. Two camera setup with remote display. Works well except I don't like the fact that you have to load the track map for every track. Their database is missing a whole bunch of US tracks and without that you must draw the map using google earth or some such thing. Used to have a system that drew the map automatically on your first lap based on GPS position. That was a nicer way to go.

ProCoach
11-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks and sent!!

Matt, been traveling, will send that information today. What we're going to do is make sure your logger is sending the information to the camera and then set up the camera to match the information sent to it. Should take less than fifteen minutes on your end and that will fix it forever.

Nice video but could you mount the camera closer to front windshield? It gives a much better view of track that way.

By the way, I have the Racelogic Vbox Lite in my car. Two camera setup with remote display. Works well except I don't like the fact that you have to load the track map for every track. Their database is missing a whole bunch of US tracks and without that you must draw the map using google earth or some such thing. Used to have a system that drew the map automatically on your first lap based on GPS position. That was a nicer way to go.

To each is own. I think from a coaching and self evaluation standpoint, seeing what the driver does with the wheel, where they turn their head and how they actuate the gears is as valuable as where the edges of the track are in relation to the front tires. If folks would mount the cameras that are behind their shoulders at eye height or above, even though it looks like the mirror is in the way, they'll get a LOT more out of the front of the car. I do think Todd's videos are pretty exciting! The sense of speed is spectacular.

The Video VBOX Lite 2-camera is a terrific little system, but when it was introduced in the winter of 2010-2011, it wasn't ready for prime-time. Over the years, Racelogic has introduced better firmware and substantially improved that track database. They have now automated that map and start/finish line coordinates generation for all the Video VBOX Lite, HD and Pro lines.

I have sold over a hundred VVBL units and use them frequently as a redundant system in the cars of clients I coach. I am still one of the largest Video VBOX dealers, but am waiting on their 2-camera HD system due out Q2 or Q3 2015. The side-by-side comparison of up to six laps (I confine myself to two), with the car GPS-position justified so that the video frames are at the same EXACT coordinates, allow me to compare cornering attitudes, slip angles and multi-corner complex geometry to help the driver improve. Plus, you get the ability to compare corners taken on your fast lap to the same corner taken quicker in the same session or different session! Pretty cool!

To fix your issue, you first need to register your VBOX with Racelogic's UK site so you can download the latest firmware for the VVBL (3.077, IIRC) and install the latest software release of Circuit Tools and VBOX Setup. Then, build a scene for your box with the "Auto Track Map" element in the background, load it on the box and you're good to go! NO MORE LOADING TRACKS and, you will get the track outline on the background automatically. The only jam is when there are multiple configurations of the track you're on. In that case, you'll use the Menu on your OLED Dash to "Select Track" and confirm which layout you're using. Often, by the distance traveled, it'll figure it out, but all you need to do is install the latest firmware to the box so it will accept scenes and operation directions built by the latest versions of Circuit Tools and VBOX Setup.

PM me if I can help. The Video VBOX and AiM SmartyCam HD (with a Solo DL or EVO 4) are the two most popular systems I sell, and it's because of ease of use for both...

Now, I have the new, really cool MoTeC releases, for the the hardcore among you...

I don't care what people have, as long as they have SOMETHING. And the AiM and Video VBOX setups are MORE than enough to get faster for a LONG time...

XSnake
12-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Matt, been traveling, will send that information today. What we're going to do is make sure your logger is sending the information to the camera and then set up the camera to match the information sent to it. Should take less than fifteen minutes on your end and that will fix it forever.

Never got an email Peter.

XSnake
12-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Nice video but could you mount the camera closer to front windshield? I did lower the camera a little bit to try and get the rear view mirror out of the way and get a little bit more view out of the windshield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ0a3TdnZNA&feature=youtu.be

Shooter
12-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Great driving. 2:09 is nice.

XSnake
12-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Great driving. 2:09 is nice.
Within 1 sec. of the lap record which was set on Michelins. We were on used Pirellis. ;)

XSnake
12-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Big thanks to Peter for helping with the configurations tonight. Looks like next video will have a working tach along with some other info that can be pulled out of the ECU via OBD.

If anyone is looking for a camera system this is it. Its so easy to use, you don't even have to touch it all day at the track. Two friends that have seen mine went out and purchased already. Give Peter a call and he will set you up!

VENOM V
12-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Within 1 sec. of the lap record which was set on Michelins. We were on used Pirellis. ;)

Damn, that's wheelin'! Nice run.

Agree on working with Peter Krause, exceptional experience for me. Top notch advice, set up, and after-the-sale customer service. Also a big fan of the Aim systems, just what I was looking for.

whitebeard
12-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Moved this thread to the track forum with permission from OP. A redirect is in place for one month.

ProCoach
12-09-2014, 07:14 AM
I want to thank VOA members for their support. This is a great group and these are great cars!

I do have a few more integrated Solo DL/SmartyCam HD systems in stock, ready for delivery before Buttonwillow... <grin>

ProCoach
12-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Thank you, Matt! Have fun and can't wait to see the videos!

Big thanks to Peter for helping with the configurations tonight. Looks like next video will have a working tach along with some other info that can be pulled out of the ECU via OBD.

If anyone is looking for a camera system this is it. Its so easy to use, you don't even have to touch it all day at the track. Two friends that have seen mine went out and purchased already. Give Peter a call and he will set you up!

XSnake
12-09-2014, 07:22 AM
I want to thank VOA members for their support. This is a great group and these are great cars!

I do have a few more integrated Solo DL/SmartyCam HD systems in stock, ready for delivery before Buttonwillow... <grin>

Peter, I'm taking my setup to COTA this weekend. Expect some phone calls next week ;)

esm_viper
01-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Peter, I'm taking my setup to COTA this weekend. Expect some phone calls next week ;)

I just talked to Peter and ordered the Solo DL/Smarty Cam! And I'll have it in time for COTA on February 7th!

XSnake
01-04-2016, 05:11 PM
I just talked to Peter and ordered the Solo DL/Smarty Cam! And I'll have it in time for COTA on February 7th!

Congrats! You'll love it

esm_viper
01-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks and thank you for posting your video! I've been watching it trying to get more familiar with the track.

XSnake
01-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks and thank you for posting your video! I've been watching it trying to get more familiar with the track.

The COTA vids? No problem

VENOM V
01-04-2016, 05:24 PM

It is such a great tool. I reviewed my data from Laguna Seca and learned a bunch of things. This is really fun. I hit 139 mph on the Laguna Seca straight, which felt good until I read that Randy Pobst hit 143 mph on his record run, lol. The other thing I learned- I was on pace for a mid-1:33 lap before I hit traffic. Still happy with my 1:34.1 lap, but it is fun to look at the data. The best part is if you hire a pro coach (not just an HPDE coach, I'm talking about a top racer and professional coach) and overlay his baseline lap with yours. Then he can coach you based on where you need to improve. Very powerful tool. Plus, the SmartyCam is so easy to use. Data is overlayed on the video automatically. Just pop out the SD card and watch your vid. Enjoy.

Simms
01-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Subscribed. Need one soon.

esm_viper
01-04-2016, 07:40 PM
The COTA vids? No problem

I assumed this was your car?
https://youtu.be/XJ3QGNT6c7M

Dan Cragin
01-04-2016, 07:42 PM
I had real good luck with the Racekeeper System. I always had issues with the Smarty Cams.

Dusty1
01-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Had my Solo DL and Smartycam GP HD for more than a year in some pretty hot environs here in Texas and so far no problems at all.

Richard

XSnake
01-05-2016, 11:07 AM
I assumed this was your car?
https://youtu.be/XJ3QGNT6c7M

Yes it is

Shooter
01-05-2016, 09:07 PM
It is such a great tool. I reviewed my data from Laguna Seca and learned a bunch of things. This is really fun. I hit 139 mph on the Laguna Seca straight, which felt good until I read that Randy Pobst hit 143 mph on his record run, lol. The other thing I learned- I was on pace for a mid-1:33 lap before I hit traffic. Still happy with my 1:34.1 lap, but it is fun to look at the data. The best part is if you hire a pro coach (not just an HPDE coach, I'm talking about a top racer and professional coach) and overlay his baseline lap with yours. Then he can coach you based on where you need to improve. Very powerful tool. Plus, the SmartyCam is so easy to use. Data is overlayed on the video automatically. Just pop out the SD card and watch your vid. Enjoy.

1:33 is pretty fast. Congrats. And your not even used to the car yet. Only going to get faster.

docwviper
01-06-2016, 07:43 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back. Anybody have procoachs contact information? I messaged over the forum but no response. Thanks!

XSnake
01-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back. Anybody have procoachs contact information? I messaged over the forum but no response. Thanks!

PM'd you his email.

fuggles
01-06-2016, 09:42 PM
I had real good luck with the Racekeeper System. I always had issues with the Smarty Cams.

Is that an HDX2? Where did you mount the box? Did you get data through CAN or OBD2?

ProCoach
01-11-2016, 09:04 AM

The new R-K HDX2 is terrific, but big and bulky. I've been a dealer for half a decade and they're very good (and relatively local).

They get the standard OBD-II stream, coolant temp, RPM, throttle and that's about it, just like the AiM. We're working on expanding that within the AiM protocol in the future, but no guarantees.

No secret that the early SmartyCam standard definition versions suffered a LOT of teething pains. There have been more than twenty-five revisions since that time and four completely new hardware releases.

What most folks want, at least from me, is to come back in, pull the card in thirty seconds and without opening Comparo or any other program, play an HD video with throttle, RPM, speed, g's and lap times all already on it.

Only other system that will do that is the standard def Video VBOX (and the new HD2 version, due out by Q3 2016), and I'm a dealer for them, too!

Thanks to VOA members for all the support and kind words!

esm_viper
02-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Here's the video from COTA February 7th! This was my last session of the day, the camera and Solo worked perfect! Not sure why the track map didn't show up, I'll have to mess with that. I love the set up, thanks again Peter!!!

https://youtu.be/iv3ejNBux3c

Andi
05-26-2016, 07:14 PM
What configuration should I be using for a Gen V using the Solo DL?

Thanks,
Andi

Nemesis
05-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Where do you have the camera mounted? Hanging from the rear glass?

Here's the video from COTA February 7th! This was my last session of the day, the camera and Solo worked perfect! Not sure why the track map didn't show up, I'll have to mess with that. I love the set up, thanks again Peter!!!

https://youtu.be/iv3ejNBux3c

ProCoach
05-30-2016, 01:29 AM
What configuration should I be using for a Gen V using the Solo DL?

Thanks,
Andi

ECU Make:OBDII
ECU Model: CAN

You will need to unplug the OBDII cable from the receptacle under the dash overnight to allow the system not to trigger the vehicle CAN and run the battery down. No problem leaving it plugged in each day. Working on a solution for that.

Topplayer
06-07-2016, 01:11 PM
I have not tested this in my viper but I am sure it will work. A Garmin Virb XE works great as a lap timer, and data acquisition. Its cheap, setup is easy, and you can swap it between cars or other motor vehicles easy. You can overlay the data to the video so easy, have different overlays for different applications live track/autoX/Back roads.
this is a video in my S2000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2wfGQtGvr0

XSnake
06-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Another video from my smartycam setup. Love being able to log IAT and coolant temps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfJN_f5vqEM

esm_viper
06-21-2016, 06:51 AM
Where do you have the camera mounted? Hanging from the rear glass?

Sorry, I just saw this. Yes, I hung the camera from the rear glass and the camera rested on top of the partition between the seats. I just got a longer extention poll and I'm going to mount the camera in front of the partiton and a little lower. Using velcro to secure on the bottom.

GTSilver
01-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Anybody have procoachs (Peter Krause ) contact information? I would like to get the Solo dl and camera for my viper.

Thanks
Yousif

Dusty1
01-09-2017, 11:16 AM
I believe you can find him here, peter@peterkrause.net

GTSilver
01-09-2017, 08:46 PM
I believe you can find him here, peter@peterkrause.net

Thanks, appreciate it.

stradman
01-16-2017, 07:30 AM
ECU Make:OBDII
ECU Model: CAN

You will need to unplug the OBDII cable from the receptacle under the dash overnight to allow the system not to trigger the vehicle CAN and run the battery down. No problem leaving it plugged in each day. Working on a solution for that.

Hi guys, can I ask where exactly is the OBD port on my 2016 ACR in order to plug in a Solo DL?? Many thanks

1of1TA1.0
01-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Under your dash right above your left leg. You should spot it pretty fast

stradman
01-16-2017, 02:28 PM
thanks!

stradman
09-09-2018, 02:55 AM
Another video from my smartycam setup. Love being able to log IAT and coolant temps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfJN_f5vqEM

Sorry to resurrect this thread again but how did you get the Brake input to work X-Snake? I cannot get mine to work on the standard OBD port

ProCoach
09-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Typically, on the AIM SmartyCam, brake pressure or position don’t come through, so folks set up “Inline Acceleration” and set to -1.5 or -2g at full deflection. VBOX and some others get brake pressure/position and can put that in the video.