PDA

View Full Version : Trailer, shipping

Hotrodder00
08-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Hey gang!

I need to get the car to Todd at A&C Performance in California. Car runs, but I can't drive it that long and feel good about it, especially since the fuel system is what I'm having problems with!

I tried a U-haul car carrier, and it didn't work! We got the car on the trailer, but the front end was too long to be able to strap the wheels down securely. I was going to just use a bunch of ratcheting straps and say to hell with it, but I decided not to!

Now, I need a way to safely transport it. Anyone have a trailer, car hauler, own a shipping company, etc? So, let's hear the recommendations!

Thanks in advance,
Adam

2010.Blue.White.ACR
08-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Call reliable carriers

Vprbite
08-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Shipping to calif isn't crazy expensive. Should be about a grand for enclosed. Then you could drive it back. Otherwise, I think Tim is the guy to talk to in the club. Given his garage I would think he must have a trailer. Another thought...if you are gonna pay to ship, you can probably buy an open trailer used, for that or less. A brand new open trailer starts at about 2grand. So if you can find one used, then you have it for other needs. Everytime I am about to buy one, life gets in the way. Good luck. I really hope you get your car up and running for you again soon.

gerch85
08-24-2014, 06:14 PM
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/653587-Uhaul-Car-Hauler-Trailer-Transport-Information

I did this when I moved my car from Texas to Minnesota. I'm sending my car to Todd via enclosed trailer, I got a quote for 1750.00 one way.

Swest
08-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Adam I use classic car carriage every time I ship a car. They are professional, careful, have good equipment, and best of all very reasonable. Call Leroy Koop 303-880-3838.

Hotrodder00
08-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks, guys for the ideas and input! I'll keep you all posted on what happens!!!

WhiteSnake
08-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Adam.
I have used Reliable Shippers in Chandler for a round-trip haul from Phx to Detroit a few years ago. They did a great job. You might want to call Eddie Martin, Airpark Viper Tech and club member as he has a trailer and might be willing to make the haul for you. If you need his contact info let me know.
Barry

stryfe
08-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I used uShip last time and got a good shipper. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with a company vouched for by another member instead of just taking bids.

Bill Pemberton
08-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Reliable has Distribution Centers in Arizona and California -- bet it would be under the price one of the guys quoted to use them?!

Speedy G
08-26-2014, 07:26 PM
you can look on craigslist, i have seen car trailers for rent, or you can pm me i might be able to help

ssgsnake
08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
I have used Intercity lines several times and they have been awesome.

Vprbite
09-03-2014, 01:48 PM
So, hottrodder, what did you end up doing for your shipping? I am just curious so I can file it away in my knowledge folder just in case I ever have to ship to California. Now that I recall, I think my 02 got shipped from Marv Rose in Fresno for just under 900 with reliable I think. Same company dodge used to use to ship the Vipers? They were great though. I had the cheaper option which required you be patient as they may load or unload it to make way for people who paid more for priority shipping and arrival on a specific day. Still only took 5 days I think start to finish.

Nine Ball
09-03-2014, 01:56 PM
A buddy of mine (in AZ) started a hauling company. 2-car enclosed delivery. Call Josh Kessell 520-631-5212

Vprbite
09-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Cool. I will take note of that myself. Though I don't need anything hauled right now. Good to know and good to keep it local. Thanks NineBall.

Uncle Paul
09-03-2014, 03:11 PM
Todd has cars shipped in and out of his shop all the time. Many international.

Best to just call him directly, and see if he has any suggestions.

From Phoenix, he might just come out and get it. Quick and easy.

WhiteSnake
09-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Nine Ball and Uncle Paul. Thanks for the referrals. Good info. to have when someone needs to have an experienced and safe long haul completed.

Hotrodder00
09-07-2014, 12:14 AM
Sorry for the delay. I have a friend of a friend that owns Snail Performance. He was headed to Cali for an event and had an empty trailer going out there, so I got it shipped enclosed for very cheap!! I'll either drive out and get it and drive it back, or I might call your guy Josh, Tony.
It just got there yesterday, Todd says I'll have a completely different car when he gives it back to me!! More on that later, thanks again everyone!

LeadfootRT10
09-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Better come out and show it off if it's a whole new car!

Vprbite
09-07-2014, 08:02 PM
I say drive it back. Long hauls in Vipers is a joy that most people never experience and it is a totally different animal than street driving in town. My girlfriend and I love taking mine on long trips.

WhiteSnake
09-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Leadfoot and Vprbite are both correct. We have a couple of nice cruises comin up. Oct to Sedona and Nov to Tucson. Holiday party in Dec.

Hotrodder00
09-08-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm looking forward to being active with the club!