PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Hellcat Charger

The_Greg
08-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Being revealed now! Also, what's up with this?6284

http://new.livestream.com/chryslerlive/DodgeProductReveal

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Damn shame Dodge is not going to build a bunch. Less than 1200 is just what I heard?

EDIT: OK, went back and watched from the start. SRT seemed to say that there in no way be only 1200 units. The statement was a bit confusing, but he implied that there would be a lot more than 1200.

The_Greg
08-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Quickest, fastest, most powerful sedan ever. 11.0 second quarter mile time, 204 mph. The 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat!!!

Canadian venom
08-13-2014, 09:58 AM
At first I was also like wtf.... but I guess it's head of SRT engineening and motorsport engineering.....

The_Greg
08-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Damn shame Dodge is not going to build a bunch. Less than 1200 is just what I heard?

Probably just for the first year. Leaked rumors show future volume for the Hellcat engine getting up to 10k units per year.

At first I was also like wtf.... but I guess it's head of SRT engineening and motorsport engineering.....

Oh, so maybe he reports to Ralph and I am over-reacting?

swexlin
08-13-2014, 10:03 AM

Problem is, SRT Charger not a great seller. I love mine, but I can go MONTHS without seeing one on the road. And every other car on the road is a Charger, it seems. I'm still saving my money for a Gen 5.....

GuitarSteve2112
08-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Apparently the "x number of units" is a rumour. I'd rather see something new happen with Viper.

TitleMine
08-13-2014, 10:15 AM
> 11.0 second quarter mile time, 204 mph.

If that's the paper stats, this thing will be into the tens in the first few months in the hands of drag racers. The best drivers, like Ranger, etc. always grab a few tenths from the mags and mfgs.

Looks sweet. Still getting a TA though.

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Problem is, SRT Charger not a great seller. I love mine, but I can go MONTHS without seeing one on the road. And every other car on the road is a Charger, it seems. I'm still saving my money for a Gen 5.....

Dunno where you live, but I see new Chargers all over the place here in North Texas.

swexlin
08-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Dunno where you live, but I see new Chargers all over the place here in North Texas.

Same here, but almost no SRTs. The plenty of R/Ts though.

Shooter
08-13-2014, 10:39 AM
Put it in the Jeep and I'll buy one.

ViperTony
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
There's just something about the front-end of that Charger that's not doing it for me. Lot's of chargers around here and the state police use them for catching speeders.

BlknBlu
08-13-2014, 10:54 AM
I want that.

Bruce

swexlin
08-13-2014, 10:56 AM
There's just something about the front-end of that Charger that's not doing it for me. Lot's of chargers around here and the state police use them for catching speeders.

I like my 07s front end the best, looks mean. That being said, I saw the new car in person at Carlisle last month, and it looks WAY better in person than in pictures.

Thawk97
08-13-2014, 11:55 AM
I love the new front end. - The whole thing looks fantastic.

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 11:59 AM
I think you lose a lot of proportion on a computer screen. I think if you put this next to the Dart in your driveway there would be considerable difference.

swexlin
08-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I think you lose a lot of proportion on a computer screen. I think if you put this next to the Dart in your driveway there would be considerable difference.

You nailed it. I have a Dart. As I said, when you see this in person, it is a whole different animal. And that was the R/T I saw, the slightly different Hellcat styling is hot.

donk_316
08-13-2014, 12:40 PM
How is the charger popular? It's a friggin 4 door sedan...

This car and the other hellcat are a slap in the face. What's the viper now? You can get a hellcat challenger and hellcat charger for the price of a optioned out viper.

Does dodge -SRT even see the viper for what it is? People don't give a shit about lap times. But if I roll up in a hellcat people know it's the most powerful where as the viper is dodges "red headed step child"

Pure bullshit

slowhatch
08-13-2014, 12:49 PM
> 11.0 second quarter mile time, 204 mph.

If that's the paper stats, this thing will be into the tens in the first few months in the hands of drag racers. The best drivers, like Ranger, etc. always grab a few tenths from the mags and mfgs.

Looks sweet. Still getting a TA though.

Yeah when they run at ATCO in 50* temps, with the DA at -2000ft. Not to take anything away from them at all, just implying there will be just as many guys running high 11s/low 12s in these cars as the former.

ICPREY
08-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Why get upset about SRT stepping up their other vehicles. Not everyone wants a 2 seater sports car nearing $100k. They have to make profits in other areas so the Viper can survive down the road. Lets not forget about the technological advances that could pass over to the future vipers.

It's hard to dismiss the performance of both the challenger and charger on the street and strip.

Great job SRT.

swexlin
08-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Why get upset about SRT stepping up their other vehicles. Not everyone wants a 2 seater sports car nearing $100k. They have to make profits in other areas so the Viper can survive down the road. Lets not forget about the technological advances that could pass over to the future vipers.

It's hard to dismiss the performance of both the challenger and charger on the street and strip.

Great job SRT.

THis. I have a VIper and an SRT8. And, some "bigger" guys can't physically fit in a Viper (or any sports car) so this is an ideal car for them.

ViperTony
08-13-2014, 12:57 PM
If the Charger wasn't popular well it is now. I still don't understand why people are getting upset over the Hellcat be it a Challenger or Charger. I'll be keeping an eye on the hellcat Charger. It's time to replace my DD and the new Charger may be the ticket for me.

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Pure bullshit

http://raggedshirts.com/images/crack-is-whack300.jpg

slowhatch
08-13-2014, 01:03 PM
How is the charger popular? It's a friggin 4 door sedan...

This car and the other hellcat are a slap in the face. What's the viper now? You can get a hellcat challenger and hellcat charger for the price of a optioned out viper.

Does dodge -SRT even see the viper for what it is? People don't give a shit about lap times. But if I roll up in a hellcat people know it's the most powerful where as the viper is dodges "red headed step child"

Pure bullshit

Tell us how you really feel.

The challenger/charger are dodge's bread and butter products--read: volume. Therefore, they are the product line in which Dodge is most heavily vested in their powertrain/chassis development. And, is the easy sell for the bean counters when it comes to approving special models.

The viper has not been making an appealing business case for itself as of late, and probably never will. So it is of no surprise that we're not seeing anything special coming from Dodge/SRT recently. Personally, I'm still surprised at how much car was delivered (13-14s) given their lackluster funding for the program.

The viper is still the mopar king, period. In capable hands, it will tear up a hellcat-anything on any track, whether it be straight line, auto-x, or circuit.

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 01:22 PM
The SRT team this morning referred to both the Charger Hellcat, Challenger Hellcat, and Viper as all being "Halo cars."

SlateEd
08-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Washington Post Online article released just after the press conference was over states "In the 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat the engine is paired up with either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission, and it drives the rear wheels only."

Entirely possible that they got this wrong BUT if the 6MT is available, sign me up!

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
They are wrong. SRT said 8-Speed auto only in the Charger. Rear wheel drive only in the Charger. I went back and watched the thing twice to make sure as I had some questions myself.

JonB ~ PartsRack
08-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Cop Car Looks?
I have an SRT8 Charger Bee like Wexlin, and like him I seldom see an SRT Charger. Mine has a light bar on top, and decaling for NASCAR KN Series where it served as a Pace Car.

This car almost never gets trapped in the fast lane by left-lane-loafers. Loafers ALWAYS move over as the cop-car-silhouette approaches them from the rear. I see many oncoming drivers slowing too.

You gotta get a Whelen Light Bar !!

SlateEd
08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
They are wrong. SRT said 8-Speed auto only in the Charger. Rear wheel drive only in the Charger. I went back and watched the thing twice to make sure as I had some questions myself.

That's what I figured, but had some glimmer of hope.
oh well, Charger is now irrelevant again :-(

swexlin
08-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Cop Car Looks?
I have an SRT8 Charger Bee like Wexlin, and like him I seldom see an SRT Charger. Mine has a light bar on top, and decaling for NASCAR KN Series where it served as a Pace Car.

This car almost never gets trapped in the fast lane by left-lane-loafers. Loafers ALWAYS move over as the cop-car-silhouette approaches them from the rear. I see many oncoming drivers slowing too.

You gotta get a Whelen Light Bar !!

Especially at night, when they can't see the color. All the departments around here have switched out the Crown Vics to Chargers as well.

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Not trying to be a dick but I don't think you see many of them because they are ugly and no one buys them lol. If you had to choose between an M5, AMG Merc and the Charger would you really pick the Charger Hellcat just because it had a few more HP? All I ever see is worn out, beat up, base models in Houston. Just being honest.

BlknBlu
08-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I really like the new Chargers, have had 2 of them and really like the looks.

Bruce

The_Greg
08-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Not trying to be a dick but I don't think you see many of them because they are ugly and no one buys them lol. If you had to choose between an M5, AMG Merc and the Charger would you really pick the Charger Hellcat just because it had a few more HP? All I ever see is worn out, beat up, base models in Houston. Just being honest.

I mean, the previous chargers haven't quite tickled my fancy looks-wise, this one is better in my opinion. Aren't the M5 and AMG Merc in another price range? If the Charger is priced like the Challenger, $60k, then it's a good deal compared to the other two, and they will get a lot of sales based on that after you consider the 707 hp.

Numbers DO sell cars, and I bet 707 will sell a lot of cars.

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Well if we are going to pick on looks! I would suggest the front end of the Charger Hellcat looks about 10X better than the front of the Gen V. The LEDs on the Charger Hellcat are at least from this decade. And Charger Hellcat is at least unique and does not make me think I had to copy Koenigsegg and then Ferrari. Just an opinion, worth no cents, but I figured if we are going to start pontificating on aesthetics....

No need to be another "prick" driving a Bimmer or AMG around this town. See more of those posers on the road than Vettes. And I would suggest the Charger will cost an assload less than the Bimmer or Merc "equivalents." And let's be honest, they are not truly in the same buying categories. A TRUE four door muscle car, hard (for me at least) not to like that.

So, nana nana booboo, stick your head in doodoo. :lol2:

:stickmen_burningsti

JonB ~ PartsRack
08-13-2014, 03:26 PM
The SRT team this morning referred to both the Charger Hellcat, Challenger Hellcat, and Viper as all being "Halo cars."

Actually, it was Dodge CEO Tim K hiz-self who stated that these 3 SRT models are not bound by a 'business case' because they are all "Halo" cars. I took that as GREAT news for the Viper.

When you think back, its BECAUSE of Viper that the entire SRT-brand exists; and that Dodge Owners are all proud to have some smidgen of Viper DNA in whatever they buy branded as a Dodge. I suspect that every SRT owner from Ram, SRT-4, Crossfire, Charger, Challenger, Jeep, 300, thinks of the Viper pedigree.....

And the circle continues: Dominate the car mags with your best cars; dominate the track; and Sell On Monday, NOT the top-end cover cars or podium cars, (that make no profit) but the profitable volume of consumer segment cars basking in the glow of their halos.

SELL THOSE Common CHARGERS / CHALLENGERS that you see all over, and upgrade the next Viper's halo!

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 03:30 PM
No worries quit reading after "Hellcat Charger front fascia looks about 10X better than the front of a Gen V Viper." What front fascia/design cues do you think SRT incorporate into that front fascia you like so much ;) Viper integrated front splitter and brake cooling ducts are almost identical and were discussed today at the reveal.

And maybe an M5 or AMG car would cost more but a CTSV probably wont. You can pick up a 2013 CTSV for well under 60K and actually be able to mod it. Looks like litghtly used M5's are between 70-80 so roughly at the same price to 10K more so not far off base either.

Well if we are going to pick on looks! I would suggest the front end of the Charger Hellcat looks about 10X better than the front of the Gen V. The LEDs on the Charger Hellcat are at least from this decade. And Charger Hellcat is at least unique and does not make me think I had to copy Koenigsegg and then Ferrari. Just an opinion, worth no cents, but I figured if we are going to start pontificating on aesthetics....

No need to be another "prick" driving a Bimmer or AMG around this town. See more of those posers on the road than Vettes. And I would suggest the Charger will cost an assload less than the Bimmer or Merc "equivalents." And let's be honest, they are not truly in the same buying categories. A TRUE four door muscle car, hard (for me at least) not to like that.

So, nana nana booboo, stick your head in doodoo. :lol2:

:stickmen_burningsti

JonB ~ PartsRack
08-13-2014, 03:35 PM
That's what I figured, but had some glimmer of hope.
oh well, Charger is now irrelevant again :-(

Im a geezer-purist manual gearbox guy at heart, and I like to see NASCAR shifting gears, on motors that only dumped carbeurators for fuel injection a year ago!

But once you drive a 7-8 speed flipper-shifter in earnest, you wont think of it as irrelevant! You can count the manual rowers at LeMans / Rolex / Tudor on one hand....

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 03:36 PM
So you're saying that this (below) Charger looks 10X better than the Viper front fascia? Do you not see all the shared design cues? If anything the front fascia looks good, because it looks like the Gen V Viper.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/ZOSICK/hellcat-charger-top_zpsd3bfb378.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/ZOSICK/media/hellcat-charger-top_zpsd3bfb378.jpg.html)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5595/14716171549_c24ca31fb1_b.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/125600825@N07/14716171549/)
TA AVATARĀ© (https://www.flickr.com/photos/125600825@N07/14716171549/) by mrandrewwheeler (https://www.flickr.com/people/125600825@N07/), on Flickr

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Actually, it was Dodge CEO Tim K hiz-self who stated that these 3 SRT models are not bound by a 'business case' because they are all "Halo" cars. I took that as GREAT news for the Viper.

100% agreed.

So you're saying that this (below) Charger looks 10X better than the Viper front fascia? Do you not see all the shared design cues? If anything the front fascia looks good, because it looks like the Gen V Viper.

FrgMstr:
http://www.whitespace.on.ca/Portals/50993/images/FishingRod.jpg

FlatOut:
http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/images/olc/whale_shark2.jpg
(If you look really close it says Gen V down the side.)

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 04:03 PM
LMAO I always liked this one HAHA

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n133/ZOSICK/tips-bass-fishing.jpg (http://s111.photobucket.com/user/ZOSICK/media/tips-bass-fishing.jpg.html)

donk_316
08-13-2014, 04:04 PM
This is all ass backwards... The tech shouldn't trickle slowly up to the Viper. The Viper should have the biggest brakes and best engine tech... Not 2 cars half the price and one of them is a grocery getter... Haha! This is so ridiculous!

I wish ford would bring back the GT. Dodge just went full retard.

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 04:08 PM
This is all ass backwards... The tech shouldn't trickle slowly up to the Viper. The Viper should have the biggest brakes and best engine tech... Not 2 cars half the price and one of them is a grocery getter... Haha! This is so ridiculous!

I wish ford would bring back the GT.

Take all three of those cars to any autocross or roadcourse and let me know which one comes out on top. I would much prefer an NA V10 making 640hp in a 3300 lb sports car to track than any of those other two. I have been on track a lot lately and they (pony cars, sedans) don't compare to the Viper.

JonB ~ PartsRack
08-13-2014, 04:19 PM
We are witnessing HISTORY! 707HP In a Dodge Sedan.

We're Baaaaaaack .............on top.

The Mopar musclecars of the 60s-70s were almost all family sedans in their era. Many of them that survived were common cars in their day.... No 4 speeds, 6 carbs, or shaker hoods. Think Polaras, Coronets and Satellites. Dominating auctions now, and their own series on Velocity TV, they now sell for $25k beaters, to $300k+

FrgMstr
08-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Hard not to like....

http://youtu.be/t6HXPBQH05s

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 04:40 PM
I will say that Dodge/SRT has whipped their collective you know what out on the US automakers with these recent vehicles. Takes big courage to turn things upside down like that.

BlknBlu
08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
anyone remember this Monster HEMI 4 door?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/45419/45419_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Bruce

SlateEd
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Im a geezer-purist manual gearbox guy at heart, and I like to see NASCAR shifting gears, on motors that only dumped carbeurators for fuel injection a year ago!

But once you drive a 7-8 speed flipper-shifter in earnest, you wont think of it as irrelevant! You can count the manual rowers at LeMans / Rolex / Tudor on one hand....

Fair enough Jon :-) I'm not saying irrelevant as technology, or even in the marketplace. Maybe they'll set some records for sedans, maybe get in a comparison article with an AMG to make people think twice... that's all good stuff and totally relevant for the brand.

...But totally irrelevant to me, and whatever small number of buyers are like me ie: purists who haven't had long enough to get tired of "rowing" yet. I'd love a Hellcat for a daily driver and I don't want to be bored with XBox shifting 5 days a week. With the daily driver comes some practical compromises like 4 doors, so the Challenger is out. I went through the same process 2 years ago and landed on the Audi S4 with 6MT. I would love to put another SRT in the driveway (make it SRT-26) but not without a clutch.... might have to wait for the Dart and make it SRT-22 haha.

Viper Girl
08-13-2014, 07:01 PM
We are witnessing HISTORY! 707HP In a Dodge Sedan.

We're Baaaaaaack .............on top.

:t1236::t1236::t1236:

This is it exactly for me...

Dodge needed to shake up the Automotive World. Not everyone can afford a Viper, or fit in one... OR have the knees to push the clutch... I know more than one owner including myself at one point that couldn't do it...
(OT: Gen V, I love it my knee handles it just fine... even in Sunday LA traffic! That's saying something...)

I'm really happy Dodge threw down the gauntlet. I have recently seen some good articles on the Viper too..

I think the ship is on it's way to righting itself...

Troublemaker
08-13-2014, 07:50 PM
anyone remember this Monster HEMI 4 door?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/45419/45419_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Bruce

Yep, there was also a 67 Belvedere II, and three 66 Coronets, gold, white and the Red if I remember right.

ViperSmith
08-13-2014, 08:00 PM
I am convinced there are some of you that wouldn't be happy with anything.

Personally, I think it is great. For me, it depends on how the interior is before starting to compare it to the M5. For the prices, $70k vs $110, there really isn't much of a discussion which is a better "buy" if the interior is on the up and up.

One major win for the Charger will be, unlike the M5, they don't have to pipe fake engine sounds into the cabin.

The most powerful sedan and people are complaining, what is wrong with some of you.

shine
08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I've already talked to Bill Pemberton about it, but...

The Hellcat Charger WILL make me trade in my 07 SRT Charger as my daily driver.

I have had it since I bought it new in 06, have nearly 100k miles on it, and I love the looks, but you simply can't argue with the Hellcat.

Mine at Putnam Park about a year ago:

http://www.networktherapists.com/images/1010ths/1010ths2013875%20(Small).jpg

As for getting a Viper, well, I have three kids (plus a foster baby we may adopt)... much as I'd rock the heck outta a TA, the Charger would make much more sense at present time.

SmoknTires
08-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Please lord... put this engine in the damn jeep.

Troublemaker
08-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Agreed, my wife has already said her Durango is gone if they make it.

ViperSmith
08-13-2014, 08:34 PM
god, yes.

ICPREY
08-13-2014, 08:36 PM
The most powerful sedan and people are complaining, what is wrong with some of you.

^^^This,lol

SmoknTires
08-13-2014, 08:39 PM
This is the reason I got hooked on the viper and all the other SRT cars. I want ridiculous, silly, stupid power compared to anything else. I'm glad we're getting back to our roots.

And yes, I use it in my daily drive... My foot touches the floor often.

What other cars have 700+ hp. And now we have 2 models. Rock on SRT!

SlateEd
08-13-2014, 08:55 PM
god, yes.

+1 more
.. my wife's GC SRT8 would be in the classifieds right away.

SmoknTires
08-13-2014, 08:56 PM
I would literally drive my 2014 SRT GC to the dealer and step out of it while it's still moving... to get the keys to a hellcat Jeep.

donk_316
08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Hellcat jeep, hellcat grand Cherokee, hellcat dart, hellcat ram, hellcat bicycle.

Might as well put it in everything.

FLATOUT
08-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Hellcat jeep, hellcat grand Cherokee, hellcat dart, hellcat ram, hellcat bicycle.

Might as well put it in everything.

Everything but Viper ;)

Late Apex
08-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Awesome news and I have already put down an order with Mac Haik Dodge for a blue one asap. Trade in the old 2012 beast that I bought from them. Cant wait !!! Great job SRT/Dodge

swexlin
08-14-2014, 06:07 AM
I've already talked to Bill Pemberton about it, but...

The Hellcat Charger WILL make me trade in my 07 SRT Charger as my daily driver.

I have had it since I bought it new in 06, have nearly 100k miles on it, and I love the looks, but you simply can't argue with the Hellcat.

Mine at Putnam Park about a year ago:

http://www.networktherapists.com/images/1010ths/1010ths2013875%20(Small).jpg

As for getting a Viper, well, I have three kids (plus a foster baby we may adopt)... much as I'd rock the heck outta a TA, the Charger would make much more sense at present time.

Beautiful car. I love my 07 Superbee as well, and if I weren't saving for a Gen 5, I might be doing the same thing. However, if the Bee (and my 03 Viper) are getting sold or traded, it's gonna be for a Gen 5. If I were RICH, I'd already have Gen 5, and I'd have Hellcat Charger AND Challenger on order!

Viper Girl
08-14-2014, 08:25 AM
I would literally drive my 2014 SRT GC to the dealer and step out of it while it's still moving... to get the keys to a hellcat Jeep.
I think we need to have VOA Magazine staff on hand to film that! LMAO...

ViperTony
08-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Awesome news and I have already put down an order with Mac Haik Dodge for a blue one asap. Trade in the old 2012 beast that I bought from them. Cant wait !!! Great job SRT/Dodge

Nice!