PDA

View Full Version : TAMU AUTOX this weekend 8/9/14

FLATOUT
08-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Hey guys not sure how many of you AutoX but it's a great way to throw the car around and get comfortable with vehicle dynamics. The Texas A&M Sports Car Club puts on multiple organized timed events during the school year, but offers summer "practice" sessions so come out and make unlimited runs.

They tend to set up longer and faster autocross courses than the typical parking lot course allowing you to use a bit more of the Viper power band. There are no poles or barriers to potentially damage cars so it's a great place to come out and goof off.

Cost is $20 a car (driver and passenger) and you can run as many times as you like. There's everything from Miata's to Vettes, Mustangs to Race cars. No classes during the summer sessions just run what you brung.

I usually get out there early and grab a late lunch on the way out.

Here's a schedule of events from the TAMSCC:

The event will be located at the A&M Riverside Annex near the intersection of Highways 21 and 47.

A breakdown of each day's schedule:

Saturday and Sunday, July 26th-27th.
Gate/Tech opens: 8:30 am
First car out: ~9:15 am.
Gate closes: ~2:00 pm
Tech closes: ~2:30 pm.
Event shut-down: ~4:15 pm

There is no preregistration required for this event; show up, pass tech, and drive! We will have loaner helmets available if needed.

Here's a Video of my car at the last event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPRqTg5nCf4

Herrsss
08-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Man I would love to participate but we're at TWS this weekend! Drivers Edge is running it 4 different ways so it's gonna be a fun weekend even if pretty hot. Stop by for a ride with one of us on your way out :-)

FLATOUT
08-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Man I would love to participate but we're at TWS this weekend! Drivers Edge is running it 4 different ways so it's gonna be a fun weekend even if pretty hot. Stop by for a ride with one of us on your way out :-)

I might swing by, how late are you guys running?

slowhatch
08-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm down! This sounds awesome. Probably the most fun one can have for $20.

...and Beth, I want a ride too:)

Herrsss
08-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Track is hot from 8:30 to 5:30 both days . . . and the temps will be hot too!

Dusty1
08-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Hope to see you guys out there. Will be warm but will have the trailer with AC though. New format so will see TWS in a different light running both the standard 2.9 mile and 1.9 mile courses each direction.

Richard

FLATOUT
08-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm down! This sounds awesome. Probably the most fun one can have for $20.

...and Beth, I want a ride too:)

Really glad you're coming out, it's run by a great group. Everytime I would pull up to the line they would blare the Team America World Police theme song lol. We'll get there early enough to still make it over to TWS to see Beth and Richard.

Beth if we are just showing up to come see you guys will there be any admission charged? I don't think there was last time I saw Eric G there.

Herrsss
08-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Andy, TWS is now charging a $5/car fee that goes towards track improvements. The only other fee would be a $20 donation if you wanted a ride.

FLATOUT
08-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Andy, TWS is now charging a $5/car fee that goes towards track improvements. The only other fee would be a $20 donation if you wanted a ride.

Kind of ironic they are charging a fee to improve the track if they are a year or so out from tearing it down:(

slowhatch
08-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Kind of ironic they are charging a fee to improve the track if they are a year or so out from tearing it down:(

I thought the same, still nominal, however.