PDA

View Full Version : Out of all the Gen's, which one is the best bang for the buck

slitherv10
11-09-2013, 09:11 PM
If you were to put together a list of the best to worst Viper, what would it be? Consider performance, creature comforts, exclusiveness (one of one etc), as well as sale numbers and supply and demand.

I would put my thoughts in but, I am quite muffled to what I would be where on the list.

Any brave people out there who want to take a crack at in with their opinions.

Ok, Ok,,,,Ill start the list.....number 1 would be the 1996 GTS B/W (ok I got one in the garage ..ha)

Anonymous
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
2001= Abs that's why I bought mine.

herbbone
11-09-2013, 09:24 PM
96RT/10 W/B. Transition between 1 and 2. Last and first of it's kind. Kind of like my 65 Harley FLH (Sold to a museum). A turning point it the evolution of the car.

slitherv10
11-09-2013, 09:31 PM
96RT/10 W/B. Transition between 1 and 2. Last and first of it's kind. Kind of like my 65 Harley FLH (Sold to a museum). A turning point it the evolution of the car.

I agree. Funny though that they sell for cheap. One day people will regret selling them at these prices today.

herbbone
11-09-2013, 10:16 PM
This is why I think it is the most bang for the buck. They are inexpensive now. But I think it is the last of its kind and in the future will be very cool to have.

slysnake
11-09-2013, 10:23 PM
'05 Copperhead of course. hehehehehe

1. Gen 3 and the updates that go with that.

2. Almost unlimited ability to mod. No factory lock out.

3. Exclusive limited edition.

4. The most beautiful Viper color ever made. :)

ViperSmith
11-09-2013, 10:45 PM
9/10 viper owners will state what ever is in their garage ;)

ACRucrazy
11-09-2013, 10:49 PM
I would say the best bang for the buck is a Gen 3 right now.

slitherv10
11-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I would say the best bang for the buck is a Gen 3 right now.

On that note. I have been wondering why the poor Gen 3's are listing so cheap right now. What is it?

Anonymous
11-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Hand down best lookin b/w gen 2 gts and I don't own one ,but more day to day enjoyment 2001-02.

Bugman Jeff
11-10-2013, 01:10 AM
The best bang for the buck are the Gen Is and IIs. You can pick up a really nice Gen I for around $25K. For a car that will get more use, the Gen IIs offer more refinement(with real windows!) and are a pretty good deal starting around $30K. Sure, the newer cars are faster and offer more creature comforts, but that comes with a premium price too. The Is and IIs have the classic and instantly recognizable Viper look, more than enough performance for the average buyer, and can be had for the price of a modern minivan.

Nine Ball
11-10-2013, 05:57 AM
I'd vote for an early Gen 3. Best level of creature comforts and mod potential. Gen 2 cars drive noticeably looser feeling and have more squeaks/rattles like a classic car.

Fatboy 18
11-10-2013, 06:54 AM
I would also say Gen 3, But styling is subjective to each person, (its not my cup of tea, I prefer the Gen II Coupes) But for HP and performance they are improved over a Gen II Bigger brakes wheels etc. I guess it depends weather you also like the later interiors too?

If your looking in the second hand market there are some good deals out there :)

Anonymous
11-10-2013, 06:54 AM
The gen 1,2 hood makes the car short of the gen v

slitherv10
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I agree with most points above. The Gen 2 would be the car you can mod the most and get the best Hp numbers with if that's the route you want. It is also recognizable as far as body style is concerned as well as cheap right now. The gen 3 is very similar in pricing yet offers better brakes, a few more creature comforts and engineering and can be moded as well. Styling for Gen 3's would be personal. The Gen 2's still hold that throne really. Now as far as the gen 4 is concerned, you can get 100-150 more horses for 30 thousand more than the average Gen 2. That being said. you can get a supercharged Gen 2 for 45-50K and push 150-200HP more and still have 20K left in your pocket. Gen 4 needs to get the codes released to be worth anything (for the modders out there). The ACR's though should hold a premium considering they were only offered in 08-10 and will be distinct among all Vipers forever. The Gen 2 ACR's unfortunately did not have a big distinction between them and the GTS cars and thus didn't get the recognition they deserved.

Hiss Highness
11-10-2013, 09:43 AM
picked up my gen 2 gts with 13k for 25 grand cause of the exhaust mods it would not pass air care, so it sat on the lot for 1.5 years, where I live there is no air care so I saw it started at 45k and kept winding down until I walked in a lowballed him, would like to change the cheesy door panels(maybe will change to leather this winter) and crappy center console(a gen 3 conversion), plus I removed the stereo cause the side pipes are music enuf, the acr rims,harness etc are a bonus, would like to pick up a convertible gen 2 as well(cept for the same cheesy Chrysler interior)

Troublemaker
11-10-2013, 10:21 AM
The whole thing will end up being subjective.
Gen 1&2 had the looks and ease up upgrading. Some say they hate the interior and squeaks and rattles, I like them. Can be had cheap.
Gen3, new style looks, some like them some don't. All around better car, but not for everyone. Prices all over the place.
Gen4, same look, different hood. Leaps and bounds above earlier Gens, locked out computer, limited upgradability. Prices slightly above the 3.
Gen4 ACR. Like nothing else on the road, track records across the Globe, same shortcomings as the other Gen4s. Holding their value very well.
Gen5. Updated Gen2 looks. Most powerful street model offered. First year hiccups, but all together the best model yet. Same shortcomings as the 4. Price is good to some, high to others.

It's all opinion, nothing more. I want to put another in the garage, but still holding out on a tuning solution for the 8.4.

Alley
11-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Picked up my gen I for 29k 6 years ago. Few k in mods and a set of slicks and im running mid 11s. The design will always be timeless. But if you want comforts forget about it. I love that I have no windows, door handles, abs, or airbags. Its the first pure Viper.

The gen III is the stepchild IMO. If you dont like the style a gen 2 gets you basicly the same performance. If you like the styling people would rather just buy a gen 4 with the hp bump.

Fatboy 18
11-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I agree with most points above. The Gen 2 would be the car you can mod the most and get the best Hp numbers with if that's the route you want. It is also recognizable as far as body style is concerned as well as cheap right now. The gen 3 is very similar in pricing yet offers better brakes, a few more creature comforts and engineering and can be moded as well. Styling for Gen 3's would be personal. The Gen 2's still hold that throne really. Now as far as the gen 4 is concerned, you can get 100-150 more horses for 30 thousand more than the average Gen 2. That being said. you can get a supercharged Gen 2 for 45-50K and push 150-200HP more and still have 20K left in your pocket. Gen 4 needs to get the codes released to be worth anything (for the modders out there). The ACR's though should hold a premium considering they were only offered in 08-10 and will be distinct among all Vipers forever. The Gen 2 ACR's unfortunately did not have a big distinction between them and the GTS cars and thus didn't get the recognition they deserved.

There's a Yellow Gen II Supercharged GTS 2001 ABS brakes, on the Other site classifieds for .......$39000! Now that's a steal!
I'm sure it will not be there long.

Ninjakris
11-10-2013, 05:04 PM
03-06 vert. They can be had for high 30's in great shape. My last viper was a 03 and it will do everything you ask of it and look good doing it. Everything is modern enough but not too tech heavy that will show its age like a lot of cars from that era. Plus the computers are not locked out like newer models.

On a different note, I believe way down the road that the 06 coupe will be one of the most sought after models. It is the only coupe year with a mod friendly engine from 2006-now....and yes I have one :)

cobraken
11-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Bang for the buck = most enjoyment per dollar. Although I may like a gen 2 or a '10 gen iv, the cheapest Viper you can find best meets the definition. Each model is gorgeous and has it's own benefits from gen 1 to gen v.

Disturbed
11-14-2013, 09:46 AM
It is a tie IMHOP. 01/02 GTS and 03-04 SRT. It comes down to if you want a sexy coupe or a Ok looking convertible. The Gen 3 really needs the GEN4 ACR package to not look like a cross between a vette and S2000.

Joel
11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
OK looking? Like most have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But easy top down, ABS, great handling, solid platform, all things Gen 3's convertibles share. What is not to like? Cross b/w an S2000 and a Vette? Don't see it but I really wouldn't consider that a condemnation.

It is a tie IMHOP. 01/02 GTS and 03-04 SRT. It comes down to if you want a sexy coupe or a Ok looking convertible. The Gen 3 really needs the GEN4 ACR package to not look like a cross between a vette and S2000.

donk_316
11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
My opinion: G4 Coupe. A convertable loses their hardcore image and lines of the car. I never understood the alure of a roofless car. My wife drives a convertable. I think convertables look like flying shoes... 'nuff said.

I would love to say G4 ACR and it would be true from an investment perspective but that great big wing... man it is just so played out on everything from Miatas to Civics and everything inbetween. The 2014 TA now THATS a great looking aero package, sutble but lethal looking.

Bugman Jeff
11-14-2013, 11:19 AM
One of the nicest things about the Is/IIs is that you rarely, if ever, get the "awesome Vette" comments.

Jack's GTS
11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
If you were to put together a list of the best to worst Viper, what would it be? Consider performance, creature comforts, exclusiveness (one of one etc), as well as sale numbers and supply and demand.

I would put my thoughts in but, I am quite muffled to what I would be where on the list.

Ok, Ok,,,,Ill start the list.....number 1 would be the 1996 GTS B/W (ok I got one in the garage ..ha)

I'm partial to the 1997 GTS B/W.

virginiavenom
11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
love the Gen II simply put it is so heavily recognized. followed by Gen IIIs, IIIs can be easily modded, put a Gen IV hood on it and you are looking real good. nice power, creature comforts etc. however my gen II doesn't squeek and rattle....don't know why one would if properly maintained. use those grease fittings boys, they aren't there just for the factory.

BlknBlu
11-14-2013, 03:46 PM
This can be debated and never resolved, But as far as a bargain and reliability, Drive, Mod friendly....etc. I would have to say a GEN III is priced to be the best over all value of the bunch. That does not mean it is the best Viper or best looking. Just a great overall value for what kind of car you get.

Bruce

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Bang 4 Buck just total value for $$ spent? probably a Gen 3

But since the G5 Coupes LOOK like the Gen 2 GTS...... Id say a Gen 2 GTS has 2014 looks at a 1990s price !

72hemi
11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I would say the best bang for the buck right now is the Gen III, but looking long term I would recommend the Gen II as I believe they will increase in value more with time surpassing the Gen III cars.

slitherv10
11-14-2013, 06:51 PM
No why is the Gen 4 not on most peoples list? Is it that it has not bottomed out yet?

ACRucrazy
11-14-2013, 07:06 PM
No why is the Gen 4 not on most peoples list? Is it that it has not bottomed out yet?

IMO it's because the price right now of a Gen IV is higher than all previous generations. That is not me saying I don't think its a better car because I do! It's what I bought. I was set on a Gen II when I was a "kid dreamer" I was set on a Gen III coupe when it came out 7/8 years ago and still a dreamer. I was set on an ACR when it launched for 2008 in the one day dream.

When the time came to where I could actually make the purchase I bought what I really wanted. It was more money, it had more power but it was not bang for the buck IMO.

$60-$70 Gen IV, $70-$90 ACR or $35k+ Gen III is a bargain IMO. It was a struggle to spend over 2x the price on an ACR vs having a "similar" Viper (Gen III) For the price of most ACRs you could just about buy a Gen II GTS & a Gen III. If I didn't have a Gen IV/ACR I would probably be in a 3 right now with a lot more $$$ in my pocket.

Late Apex
11-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Bang for the buck and also very reliable= 99-02 GTS

VoodooRob
11-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm going against the grain and saying Gen 1. If your in the right place at the right time, seen a few that sold for 19k! Those are exceptions, most $22k-$25k & to me that equals the best value for $ spent. A Viper for less than a new Hyundai? Can't dispute the value there.

slowhatch
11-14-2013, 10:07 PM
One of the nicest things about the Is/IIs is that you rarely, if ever, get the "awesome Vette" comments.

You know never in my life would i ever think someone would confuse a vette for a viper, yet i have had 2 people tell me "nice vette" in the last week. Unreal.

ViperGuy
11-14-2013, 10:07 PM
The 2013 SRT LE can be had at a price now that makes for a rather compelling bang for buck argument on a NEW Viper but of course if your tilt is on the total capitalization required then I'd say a 2003/2004 Gen 3 is hard to beat - and it's decently (Paxton) mod friendly. When considering earlier Gens one has to generally factor in greater reconditioning dollars and/or the reasonable possibility of age related maintenance/gremlins plus the older tech may not please some, so the Gen 3's got a good balance for preowned. I was looking for Viper to bring the style, fit finish paint/stripes, and interior quality to the next level plus up-to-date electronics, so with the Gen 5 looking as hot as it does, it was an easy decision and chose the GTS to get it maxed. Choices, choices, but you really can't ever go wrong going Viper.
:orange:

slitherv10
11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Looks like so far the Gen 3's have it. With the Gen 2's not far behind and gen 1's to round it off. Gen 4 and 5 seem to be in limbo right now and dependant on how te new cars fair in the market in the next year or so. I personally love the gen 2 styling but love the gen 4 refinements and tech. So I agree with JonB, you get the best of both worlds by getting into a gen 2 with some slight mods (brakes, hp adders etc) over a Gen 5 and have lots of money left over in your pocket to shop at his store.:dude3:

VPRPWRD
11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree with those that said Gen II ACR.

slitherv10
12-14-2013, 06:59 PM
I agree with those that said Gen II ACR.

Great limited cars but, as in the Vette with the base vette and zr1's, there is small cosmetic differences only to differ the two. I wish they would have made the Gen 2 ACR's more distinct then the rest. I think then they would have been pulling big bucks. As does the 98 Championship Edition white with blue stripes.

Space Truckin
12-14-2013, 08:42 PM
You know never in my life would i ever think someone would confuse a vette for a viper, yet i have had 2 people tell me "nice vette" in the last week. Unreal.

WTF, They must have been near sighted! :furious:

Policy Limits
12-14-2013, 09:37 PM
All gen vipers are great bang for the buck. To be able to get a low mileage 04 for 40-50k is probably the best though

HyperViper
12-17-2013, 04:25 AM
Well if you are looking for distinction....The Gen 4 convertible is one of the fastest, most powerful convertibles ever built. Huge bang for the buck when compared to any other 600+ HP convertible.

Sybil TF
12-17-2013, 04:29 AM
I'm partial to the 1997 GTS B/W.

Me to the 96 GTS B/W:dancingman:

Bitten
12-17-2013, 08:58 AM
03-06 vert. They can be had for high 30's in great shape. My last viper was a 03 and it will do everything you ask of it and look good doing it. Everything is modern enough but not too tech heavy that will show its age like a lot of cars from that era. Plus the computers are not locked out like newer models.

On a different note, I believe way down the road that the 06 coupe will be one of the most sought after models. It is the only coupe year with a mod friendly engine from 2006-now....and yes I have one :)

That's why I have 2 gen 3 cars. I didn't need the Vert but the price was to right and the car is easy to work on. I bought my Coupe New and it was one of 23 with no stripe and 10 spoke wheels.

MI Viper
12-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Well if you are looking for distinction....The Gen 4 convertible is one of the fastest, most powerful convertibles ever built. Huge bang for the buck when compared to any other 600+ HP convertible.

When I was researching our car on the web, (GenIV Vert) most of my data was showing the 2009, and 2010's as having the best reliability. That is where I made my decision from, most reliable= less time in the garage,= more $$ in my pockets. But as I have been told here, I'm a newbie, so I don't know much....
Merry X-mas.
MI V.

Anonymous
12-20-2013, 06:32 AM
So the newest have the highest reliability ,shocking .

Photog1
12-23-2013, 10:38 PM

People are just not use to seeing a Viper since they are rarely on the roads and they don't know about Vipers.:confused: Unlike vettes that are on every corner, so they assume vette.:t89186::rolleyes:

MI Viper
12-23-2013, 11:21 PM
My opinion: G4 Coupe. A convertable loses their hardcore image and lines of the car. I never understood the alure of a roofless car. My wife drives a convertable. I think convertables look like flying shoes... 'nuff said.

I would love to say G4 ACR and it would be true from an investment perspective but that great big wing... man it is just so played out on everything from Miatas to Civics and everything inbetween. The 2014 TA now THATS a great looking aero package, sutble but lethal looking.

Vert's are really nice in the wintertime in FL. We were cruising up I-95 Sat. evening, with another Viper, ( 02 Coupe from Orlando) with the top down, (our car's top is always down except when she takes a shower! :) ) and it was awesome, we cruised between 100-120 for about 22 miles, is was a blast!
MI V.

dadstoy
12-28-2013, 06:57 PM
love them all.

Excluding the new ones I would order them
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4
Gen 2

For me, I became a Viper fan the first time I saw a gen 1 on the street.

Love the Gen 2, but I think Vipers should have side exhaust. The new ones look like the gen 2 but have the side exhaust too. so it is close to perfect in my eyes.

Brian GTS
12-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Gawd, I love them all. Any generation has its reasons for being a bang for the buck but I would have to say the original Gen I....for less than 30K, you just can't beat the value.

Troublemaker
12-28-2013, 07:44 PM
love them all.

Excluding the new ones I would order them
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4
Gen 2

For me, I became a Viper fan the first time I saw a gen 1 on the street.

Love the Gen 2, but I think Vipers should have side exhaust. The new ones look like the gen 2 but have the side exhaust too. so it is close to perfect in my eyes.

If side exhaust is what does it for you, it's not very complex to put it on a Gen2,

slitherv10
12-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Unlike the Corvette and Mustang, the Viper has never had a bad Generation. They all have their identities and will continue to well into the future where they will all be a part of Muscle car history as have the late 60's early 70's classics. They will hold their place among the best of the best now and forever.
The Gen 2 rear exhaust is but one very rare detail that will keep that car one step ahead as all the others have followed the like. Its like the flatform tail of the Superbird and the split window on the 63, it will be something you hate to love and wish you had.

IMO of course

dbow119
12-29-2013, 02:10 AM

I would say the 1996 GTS B/W and a 1992 RT/10 will be the most collectible for sure and possibly a Gen IV ACR. I think the Gen I and Gen II would be the best for exclusiveness since there were normally only a few hundred produced each year. I think a 2003 SRT-10 would be absolutely insane if you compare that specific year to the competition considering it had almost 100 hp more than the Corvette Z06, would smoke just about any Ferrari or Lamborghini, and beat a fighter jet in the 1/4 mile on Ripley's Believe It or Not. I would say a Gen IV if you are looking for stock performance and the last Viper to have 600 hp with no traction control. I think a Gen V will be the best for creature comfort followed by the Gen III/IV then II and finally I.

I personally love the Gen III and Gen IV the best...Gen IV is what I want my next Viper to be. However, I absolutely want to own a 1996 GTS B/W and 1992 RT/10 so if anyone owns one and wants to sell it in the future please let me know! My goal is to own one Viper from each generation.

XSnake
12-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Gen 2 body style is timeless and will always be collectible I beleive

Sybil TF
12-29-2013, 08:48 AM
2001= Abs that's why I bought mine.

Yes but your engine is a cream puff lol

96 B/W GTS Baby!!!!! or 97. This color is the bomb!!!

Anonymous
12-29-2013, 09:17 AM
96-97 great if you gonna tt the car,what the % of people who are gonna do that ,see what happens to people who flat spot a set of 1600 tires.

Troublemaker
12-29-2013, 10:03 AM
96-97 great if you gonna tt the car,what the % of people who are gonna do that ,see what happens to people who flat spot a set of 1600 tires.

Flat spotting tires was not even on my radar when I purchased my 96, and I knew it didn't have ABS. Set up your brake system right and learn how to use it properly. If you are going to spend the money to do a TT right, a set of pistons is nothing, the stock forged pistons are in no way comparable to a good set of aftermarket. To me it honestly came down to color. The B&Ws were second on my list to Silver/Blue and I just couldn't find any for sale when it was time to purchase. I knew the Gen2 GTS was going to be first in the stable, to me it's still THE Viper, although its been severely surpassed in performance. Options weren't was I was after, it was honestly a complete package that I was looking for and the Gen2 had what did it for me.

I first year Gen1 is next on the list until SRT builds then Gen 5 that I want, then maybe one of them. If was looking for strictly a track car, the Gen4 ACR is second to none.

boostsaves
12-29-2013, 10:34 AM
IMHO the gen 3 is the best bang for the buck.

Anonymous
12-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Troublemaker I agree ,I wouldn't mind one of each.

Sybil TF
12-29-2013, 11:51 AM
It's all about looking good baby when you are driving past a Crapvette lol

Ohiotj
12-29-2013, 12:31 PM
To answer the question the op asked you can't argue with a gen 1. Then I would say gen 4 non acr.

dadstoy
12-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I really love them all. and yes the gen 2 is awesome.

But the side pipes is what I like. now that you said that I think I had seen a picture of a gen2 with the side pipes.

again, love them all. but I like the side pipes. reminds me of the cobra.

daveg
12-29-2013, 05:20 PM
I have to go with the 96 B/W GTS. Lots of firsts with that car. Love forged as well...

DrTaco
12-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Nothin' beats a B/W, but then again I still strain my neck to look at ANY Viper drive by.

daveg
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
but then again I still strain my neck to look at ANY Viper drive by.Well stated!!!!

slitherv10
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Nothin' beats a B/W, but then again I still strain my neck to look at ANY Viper drive by.

Well stated!!!!

I agree with both of you ,but, then again, we all own one:o

Sybil TF
12-29-2013, 07:49 PM
I agree with both of you ,but, then again, we all own one:o And me tooooooooo boy lol.

slitherv10
12-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Boy?!..Hmmm..don't know how to take that one.:rolleyes:

Zoombiu
12-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey Boy. How your new Gen IV working for you. Haven't seen color yet BLUE/White ????

Troublemaker
12-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Boy?!..Hmmm..don't know how to take that one.:rolleyes:

From a "girl", take it the most innocent way you can think of.

slitherv10
12-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Hey Boy. How your new Gen IV working for you. Haven't seen color yet BLUE/White ????

The 4 rides I got, I have to say I am very impressed.

This is Steve right?

From a "girl", take it the most innocent way you can think of.

I think I have to for legal purposes.

Zoombiu
12-29-2013, 09:34 PM

Yes its me Little Silver Rag Top. WE need to talk i need your advise need to reduce interior temp, need you to suggest quaintly cat backs I'd be happy with

slitherv10
12-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Yes its me Little Silver Rag Top. WE need to talk i need your advise need to reduce interior temp, need you to suggest quaintly cat backs I'd be happy with
Pm'd you with my number

daveg
12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
I agree with both of you ,but, then again, we all own one:oThis is true BUT the only reason I went for a 96 GTS B/W was because of the many firsts and the stripe through the plate.. Oh and it had to be 100% original...