PDA

View Full Version : Just traded up to a Wrangler for a 'DD'...

The_Greg
07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
For the first two and half years with the Viper, I was DD'ing my 2003 Neon SRT-4. In September, it would have marked 10 years with that car. But it was getting old and worn, and I saw that they still commanded a decent price used so I decided it was time to trade up. My SO and I have shaked up for over a year now and we work at the same place, so I had the luxury of choosing something not as cheap and economical as the SRT-4 for it's replacement. She just got her 2013 Focus ST last year (awesome car, quick, a little luxurious, and all the bells and whistles) so we usually drive that to work. But every now and then we need to haul or tow something, and of course neither the Viper, SRT-4, or ST is really equipped for that. Enter the 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude Edition.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/The_Greg9/709C4E69-23C3-480F-9D99-54B0A11E69CC.jpg

The Altitude is based off of a Sahara, and adds body colored hard top and fenders, leather seats, alpine audio, heated seats & mirrors, black accents all over, and some other little stuff. This one also has the 430N Garmin navigation radio unit, additional soft top, towing package, and the Trac-loc differential, and some other options I'm forgetting.

Pros:
* It's my first truck or truck-like vehicle, and first Jeep. Lots of new experiences regarding the driving position and view.
* It's the first vehicle I've ever owned where I'm even remotely almost possibly looking the tiniest bit forward to winter. Heated seats, mirrors, remote start, and 4 wheel low should take care of most challenges.
* Of course its convertible. It will be awesome for hauling friends and family on summer days to the beach or on adventure.
* It can tow up to 2,000 lbs as equipped (not a lot, I know, but more than I will need anytime soon)
* I can sleep in it. I'm 6'1" and with the back seat down and the front seat slid forward, I don't even need to bend my knees. Camping will be a breeze.
* Its a Wrangler. Depreciation? What depreciation?
* The company I work for supplies the oil cooler for the Pentastar V6. There is a little pride under the hood.
* 293 hp.

Cons:
* Well, averaging 18.8 mpg on my first 500 miles isn't 'awesome' but also not too bad. Its my first vehicle that doesn't take premium gasoline.
* It does not encourage you to go fast. I find myself going the speed limit or only 5 over often.
* As far as wranglers go, I probably picked the most 'mall crawler' one. I know I'll be upset at the first dent or scratch, yet its made for off roading which isn't powder-puff business.
* 4400some pounds.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/The_Greg9/photo1-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/The_Greg9/photo3-1.jpg

We only have a 2 car garage... It was easy picking the Neon to sit outside, but now that it's replaced by a really nice Wrangler, it's my worst 'first world problem'. I can't wait to get the soft top on for the remainder of summer and have our first doors off, top off experience!

Sybil TF
07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Pretty color. I had one for six months and the old man got mad and traded it for a Ram truck.;)

swexlin
07-31-2014, 10:41 AM
My first truck was a 94 Wrangler 4.0, then I started going to trucks (Ram V8, V10, and Cummins, and Ford Powerstroke over the years) but now I'm back in a Dart as my daily.

Good luck with it. They are very nice (and getting very expensive!)

The_Greg
07-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Pretty color. I had one for six months and the old man got mad and traded it for a Ram truck.;)

These pictured don't do it justice! Its gorgeous. A Ram 1500 was on the short list for the replacement vehicle as well. I went to a dealership expecting to get into a GC and ended up test driving a wrangler like this one and went crazy over it.

I was also influenced by the memories I had with my grandfather. He had a Willys Wagon that we went hunting in together, and I've always thought it would be cool to have a modernized version of his beater hunting vehicle. I might obtain a MACK truck hood ornament to put on the dash like he did on the hood of the Willys. This is his truck pictured below, taken years ago. My uncle owns the property and this poor willys is rotting away in a field.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/1923879_507230659056_2397_n.jpg

My first truck was a 94 Wrangler 4.0, then I started going to trucks (Ram V8, V10, and Cummins, and Ford Powerstroke over the years) but now I'm back in a Dart as my daily.

Good luck with it. They are very nice (and getting very expensive!)

The 4.0 was made in my hometown of Kenosha, WI. I was very surprised by the interior quality and ride quality of the Wrangler. I expected rattles and wind noise like a 20 year old car. It is very civilized.

mitchdob
07-31-2014, 10:46 AM
Bought a 2014 Rubicon X with a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty for the wife. It's an awesome vehicle.
Had the dealership just upgraded the rock rails and wheels.

Question: did Dodge/Jeep offer you a lifetime warranty?

BlknBlu
07-31-2014, 11:15 AM
gotta love the black and blue.

Bruce

The_Greg
07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Bought a 2014 Rubicon X with a lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty for the wife. It's an awesome vehicle.
Had the dealership just upgraded the rock rails and wheels.

Question: did Dodge/Jeep offer you a lifetime warranty?

No... I'm sure I could have purchased one through my dealership, whom I was not too fond of.

Troublemaker
07-31-2014, 03:41 PM
I have had a JKU rubicon for 6 years now and aside from a blower control that went bad, it has been trouble free. Right now I'm looking to swap in a Hemi, but it fell into one of the years that had the free factory Lifetime drivetrain warranty so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The 3.6 is a much stronger motor than the 3.8 so it will probably never be necessary with the newer ones. How do you like the ST? I need a new work beater and they look to be very neat little cars.

sparkrn
07-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Ive had a 2003 Sahara since new and love it still. Its been a durable little vehicle. A good rule of thumb around here is - Top off on Memorial weekend and back on Labor day weekend, this has worked out fairly well. I dig the blue color, very cool. Don't forget to wave! Oh, we missed you at Detroit, make sure you make the next one. Very FUN!

MACH4444
07-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Beautiful vehicle! enjoy it and get off road! I own a 2003 wrangler sport that has been set up for wheeling. Whole lot of fun. Every drive in the Jeep seems like an adventure. These things are like Billie goats, nothing stops them.

2010.Blue.White.ACR
07-31-2014, 11:29 PM
Love the color!!

The_Greg
08-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Ive had a 2003 Sahara since new and love it still. Its been a durable little vehicle. A good rule of thumb around here is - Top off on Memorial weekend and back on Labor day weekend, this has worked out fairly well. I dig the blue color, very cool. Don't forget to wave! Oh, we missed you at Detroit, make sure you make the next one. Very FUN!

Yeah, Detroit sounded fun. I was pretty jealous seeing all the pics come in on the VOA facebook page. I haven't had the hard top off of this one yet, but hope to get the soft top on soon! (I finally bought the tools needed last weekend... I didn't have a T40 torx.)

I have had a JKU rubicon for 6 years now and aside from a blower control that went bad, it has been trouble free. Right now I'm looking to swap in a Hemi, but it fell into one of the years that had the free factory Lifetime drivetrain warranty so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The 3.6 is a much stronger motor than the 3.8 so it will probably never be necessary with the newer ones. How do you like the ST? I need a new work beater and they look to be very neat little cars.

The ST is great! I really like the handling and power delivery. The interior is very nice, the only complaint I have is that the infotainment can sometimes act up. Otherwise its awesome!

Sybil TF
08-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I expected rattles and wind noise like a 20 year old car. It is very civilized. Mine was a 2011 fully loaded. After 3 months the roof got a bad rattle in it and then the door hinges. I liked it tho. With the rattles and the 13mpg the old man said it'ss going bye, bye. I didn't even get a chance to get the top off lol

Troublemaker
08-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Mine was a 2011 fully loaded. After 3 months the roof got a bad rattle in it and then the door hinges. I liked it tho. With the rattles and the 13mpg the old man said it'ss going bye, bye. I didn't even get a chance to get the top off lol

There is some wind nose from above the windshield with the hard and soft top that started when mine was a couple years old. I had a 77 and a 97 that did the same thing, it's a Jeep. I get about 18mpg on mine, but the 4.10 gears don't help anything. Sometimes you need to remove the top and reinstall it to minimize the wind noise, it can and does shift a little bit.

Keep an eye on the hinges, mine oxidized under the paint and I had to have them repainted under warranty. They are galvanized so I believe it was poor prep work because it still doesn't have a speck of rust on the body, the frame is a different story.

The ST is great! I really like the handling and power delivery. The interior is very nice, the only complaint I have is that the infotainment can sometimes act up. Otherwise its awesome!

Thanks, I was actually at the dealer earlier today to find out about ordering one, the Recaro seats are nice but that's about the only option that interested me and I don't know if it's worth it to step up to the ST2 or 3 for them. I drive about 40,000 miles a year for work so after 5 years my cars are done, I just need reliability.

The_Greg
08-04-2014, 08:41 AM
There is some wind nose from above the windshield with the hard and soft top that started when mine was a couple years old. I had a 77 and a 97 that did the same thing, it's a Jeep. I get about 18mpg on mine, but the 4.10 gears don't help anything. Sometimes you need to remove the top and reinstall it to minimize the wind noise, it can and does shift a little bit.

Keep an eye on the hinges, mine oxidized under the paint and I had to have them repainted under warranty. They are galvanized so I believe it was poor prep work because it still doesn't have a speck of rust on the body, the frame is a different story.

Thanks, I was actually at the dealer earlier today to find out about ordering one, the Recaro seats are nice but that's about the only option that interested me and I don't know if it's worth it to step up to the ST2 or 3 for them. I drive about 40,000 miles a year for work so after 5 years my cars are done, I just need reliability.

Reliability of the ST is a story yet to unfold for us, we only have 12k miles on it. You will probably want to upgrade the rear motor mount, as the stock one allows enough movement to bang the turbo against the firewall on very hard 1-2 shifts. If I drove 40k miles a year I would definitely invest in the ST3 package. I forget what all comes in at what level, but we have the ST3 and there are plenty of pleasant little features of the car. For example, it has corner illuminating bulbs that I find are super helpful in parking lot situations at night. If the front wipers are on when you activate reverse, it gives you a courtesy wipe on the rear. What other car gives your rear a courtesy wipe? LOL