PDA

View Full Version : TPMS: (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

snake handler
07-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Havn't seen any thread on this yet. Putting new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2003 SRT-10. While doing so it came up to replace the valve stem / sensors. I was warned that the battery life in the sensor is only about ten years or so? Dealer wants $100.00 each for new ones and can't tell me what the cost will be in advance to activate the replacements. Found new replacements at TireRack for $33.00 each. What a savings! When is the sensor actvated before or after the tire is put on the wheel?

Any thoughts from others would be helpful.

swexlin
07-31-2014, 06:08 AM
Havn't seen any thread on this yet. Putting new Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2003 SRT-10. While doing so it came up to replace the valve stem / sensors. I was warned that the battery life in the sensor is only about ten years or so? Dealer wants $100.00 each for new ones and can't tell me what the cost will be in advance to activate the replacements. Found new replacements at TireRack for $33.00 each. What a savings! When is the sensor actvated before or after the tire is put on the wheel?

Any thoughts from others would be helpful.

Interested as well, as I'll be doing this next season on my 03, and I'm on the original sensors as well.

01sapphirebob
07-31-2014, 07:20 AM
I would assume they activate the sensor before its mounted to the rim but i could be wrong. They will however need to be programmed to the car. They will not sync themselves. I just replaced all sensors in my '08 so im a little familiar with this. :)

2010.Blue.White.ACR
07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
After it is installed in the wheel and the tires are back on the car they program them

snake handler
07-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I know they are maybe Safety and or for Convenience but has any of you decided to not use the sensors?

JonB ~ PartsRack
07-31-2014, 12:46 PM
TPMS Battery life is about 7 years....after that, problems can appear on 1 or more. Most tire stores these days have the device to get your GEN 3-4 TPMS to quickly chirp and self-program. Since you don't have a spare, you should keep TPMS functioning for this and other reasons:

Most Viper tire events are NOT catastrophic failures, but slow-leaks
A Low-tire is not obvious to most drivers, and can be very dangerous once it is low by 8-10 lbs. Pulls to low side.
A low, low tire can RUIN the tire, and even the wheel.

PartsRack offers 4 Gen 3-4 TPMS for $140 delivered..... JonB@PartsRack.com

swexlin
07-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Plus, here in PA, I'm pretty sure if your TPMS light is on or disabled, it won't pass PA state inspection until corrected. I could be wrong. However, I like having the sensor, I only wished it showed actual pressures, like on my Dart and Superbee.

Jon, when I do mine, I will be ordering from you, thanks.

JonB ~ PartsRack
07-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Plus, here in PA, I'm pretty sure if your TPMS light is on or disabled, it won't pass PA state inspection until corrected. I could be wrong. However, I like having the sensor, I only wished it showed actual pressures, like on my Dart and Superbee.

Jon, when I do mine, I will be ordering from you, thanks.

ANOTHER Reason to buy a Gen 5 !!

swexlin
07-31-2014, 01:02 PM
ANOTHER Reason to buy a Gen 5 !!
I hear ya Jon! Hopefully in a couple years.

snake handler
07-31-2014, 03:12 PM
WOW, Great point on the Inspection! Most likely it would be a problem here in Virginia too. Thanks for the info. I will do a follow up with pics when completed. Satin Black Powder Coating on OEM 03 wheels with red pin stripe and red inlaid Viper center caps with new Michelin Super Sport rubber. Wish Me Luck!!

swexlin
07-31-2014, 03:15 PM
WOW, Great point on the Inspection! Most likely it would be a problem here in Virginia too. Thanks for the info. I will do a follow up with pics when completed. Satin Black Powder Coating on OEM 03 wheels with red pin stripe and red inlaid Viper center caps with new Michelin Super Sport rubber. Wish Me Luck!!

Sounds nice!

outnumbered
03-14-2015, 09:19 AM
I just replaced my wheels and used the sensors from the previous wheels. I think I remember Jon B mentioning something about making sure that the sensors go back where they came from (Left front, right front, etc). Well, I didn't pay attention when the wheels came off. I haven't been able to drive the car yet, but I'm curious as to what will result if the sensors are in the wrong location.