PDA

View Full Version : Correct tool for power steering pulley.

Sybil TF
07-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Just passing this on because I see it over and over where some break the plastic factory pulley, the rest of the way lol instead of getting it off. It pulls from the center hub and not from the outside like the jaw type do.

Use this from O'Reilly's.You can rent it or buy it

C.J
07-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Agreed. I've used that same kit (bought from Harbor Freight, but probably made in the same factory in China as O'Reilly's) and it worked great on 4 pulleys, but on the last one it broke the lip on the metal hub. The tool was properly seated, but the metal lip on the hub failed.

Bugman Jeff
07-31-2014, 11:20 AM
...but on the last one it broke the lip on the metal hub. The tool was properly seated, but the metal lip on the hub failed.

Me too, the ring cracked on mine using this tool. It should work for most people though, unless your pulley is incredibly stubborn. They're handy to have, but if you don't want to buy one most auto parts stores will loan you one for free through their tool loaner program.

sparkrn
07-31-2014, 05:13 PM
I took the PS pump with me to Advance auto and used there puller for free right on the counter.

sfm79
01-29-2015, 02:14 PM
I took the PS pump with me to Advance auto and used there puller for free right on the counter.

I just did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. Went to O'Reilly's and the guy pulled it right there on the bench. I went back a few days later and they reinstalled it back on the new pump. Great customer service.

Dajerseyviper
01-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Yes they rent them at PepBoys also..Good stuff when you have the right tool for the job!!!