PDA

View Full Version : Intake "re-torque" ?

TooBlue
07-29-2014, 02:09 PM
I have a Gen 4 and installed a Gen 5 intake. Part of the procedure with this mod is to periodically check and torque the intake bolts to 75 inch pounds.

I just checked my intake bolts after about 100 or so miles. Some of the bolts took about a 1/2 turn to reach 75 in. pounds.

My question is, why wouldn't a new Gen 5 need the same checking and correcting as a Gen 4 with the same plastic intake?...:confused:

Steve M
07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a Gen 4 and installed a Gen 5 intake. Part of the procedure with this mod is to periodically check and torque the intake bolts to 75 inch pounds.

I just checked my intake bolts after about 100 or so miles. Some of the bolts took about a 1/3 turn to reach 75 in. pounds.

My question is, why wouldn't a new Gen 5 need the same checking and correcting as a Gen 4 with the same plastic intake?...:confused:

They are run at the factory...I'd assume any retorquing would happen there, so the end user wouldn't have to worry about it.

FLATOUT
07-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Not sure but they don't. I have checked my gen V fasteners and they remained tight and accurately torqued, but for some reason on my Gen IV I had to retorque after a few heat cyles to get them to hold.

The engines are run on the engine dyno so who knows maybe they retorque them at the factory?

I just checked my intake bolts after about 100 or so miles. Some of the bolts took about a 1/3 turn to reach 75 in. pounds.

TooBlue
07-29-2014, 02:22 PM
They are run at the factory...I'd assume any retorquing would happen there, so the end user wouldn't have to worry about it.

I agree but they don't put 100 miles on them... This isn't the first time I corrected...?

Must be a secret thread locker.....:p0273:

AbsolutHank
07-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Probably because of the torque limiters. Your technically torquing against them and not just plastic like on the Gen IV conversion.

FLATOUT
07-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Probably because of the torque limiters. Your technically torquing against them and not just plastic like on the Gen IV conversion.

Could have something to do with it. I guess as long as it doesn't leak you're ok.

SSGNRDZ_28
07-29-2014, 03:45 PM

I second this educated guess.

bluesrt
07-29-2014, 04:23 PM
what about a small amount of blue locktight on the threads?

TooBlue
07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
what about a small amount of blue locktight on the threads?

I was wondering the same thing but that would be too simple.

Have any Gen 5 owners checked your intake bolts?

FrgMstr
07-29-2014, 05:23 PM
I re-torqued mine one time. No issues whatsoever. Those bolts have never moved.

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/GenV%20Inteake%20Install%201.jpg

bluesrt
07-30-2014, 07:24 AM
mine tight after 800 miles, there is also a sequence to torque them, follow that and then go over twice, should never come loose