PDA

View Full Version : VOA Homecoming/ National Viper Event -- Question about the track use/ oval

Drlee50
07-16-2014, 09:10 AM
I read in the info packet the oval is a lead follow experience at about 120 mph. Is that accurate? I have talked to other viper owners who have been on the track and were able to get into the 180's. Does anyone know if we will have the opportunity to open them up any more than 120? I do 130+ at my local 1.9 mile road course even. 120 seems pretty slow for that oval. Just my opinion. thoughts?

Janni
07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I suspect with no tech and really no helmet rules - that's about all you're going to see. And certainly all that any sane person or group would publicize.

ViperTony
07-16-2014, 10:50 AM
For what the event is I cannot see SRT running a true track day with defined run groups, etc. I may be wrong. They probably want to avoid any Ricky Bobby incidents. I'm sure we'll get more details in Detroit.

Bill Pemberton
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Have to agree, as frankly Chelsea is seldom opened up to even this type of track day. Been there numerous times and heard rumors of guys going super fast, and then had the Viper Test Drivers smirk and discreetly shake their heads ---- reminds one of talking to fishermen and the catch gets bigger with every story!!!

120 will be fun and keep in mind where you and I may hit 130-150 mph on our local tracks , you have a large group and there are likely many who have never even been over 100 mph.

BlknBlu
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
or 55 mph.

Bruce

Bill Pemberton
07-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Bruce ,

I know you are driving to Detroit and I bet you will exceed 55 mph on your way there, even though we all know your conservative ( read super slow ) driving style , ha.

I will be pulling a trailer, so I sure hope I don't pass you on the way,ha,ha!?

Drlee50
07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Have to agree, as frankly Chelsea is seldom opened up to even this type of track day. Been there numerous times and heard rumors of guys going super fast, and then had the Viper Test Drivers smirk and discreetly shake their heads ---- reminds one of talking to fishermen and the catch gets bigger with every story!!!

120 will be fun and keep in mind where you and I may hit 130-150 mph on our local tracks , you have a large group and there are likely many who have never even been over 100 mph.

Well I do know that to be true as well ( never been to 100). I thought run groups would be utilized or something. I can certainly understand the liability aspect of it but everywhere you run there are liability waivers to sign etc. This being my first time at Chelsea I wasnt sure what to expect so I was relying on other members experience at the track and hoping to be able to ramp things up a bit more than that. I would be fine with a 120 speed limit in the turns even. I have enough power to get up and down from speed in the straights. It will be a neat experience either way but being actually on a track designed to perform high speed testing in a safe environment is a dream to be on and actually utilize completely. Looking forward to meeting some of you there!
Thanks

Lee

ACRucrazy
07-16-2014, 05:25 PM
What info packet are you speaking of?

Drlee50
07-16-2014, 05:52 PM
as a registered attendant i got an email with the detailed event itinerary as well as step by step driving directions and sites to see etc etc. it was in there. I believe the email was titled: "Its time for homecoming"

ACRucrazy
07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
OK I received that, just making sure I didn't miss something in the mail.

AbsolutHank
07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Helmet required?

daytonprowler
07-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Helmets required for the autocross. We will have some loaners there. :)

No helmet required for the oval.