PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of a 96 GTS

vipertank
07-07-2014, 03:12 PM
After much deliberation (and saving), I went for it. A 96 GTS! It’s freakin awesome. It has 16,000 miles. I still can't believe it’s mine!!!

As I've always been one for not-so-perfect timing, I flew to Europe the day after buying it. The seller agreed very nicely to let it stay in his garage until I get back. The car is near St. Louis, and I live near New York City.

Anyone know a good company to go with (cost wise and safety wise) for shipping a Viper? It is about 1000 miles distance...

After that I'll need to store it in my rather small garage with a lift. Preferably a 4 post. Anyone have good ideas about lifts? I’m mostly wondering how they get a lift to my house and build it on site...sounds expensive...I also want a lift that is safe and going to last.

Or perhaps someone can direct me to a thread about lifts and/or shipping on this site?

It feels great to own a Viper!!! I can’t wait to drive it again!

thetalonguy
07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Congrats!! Can't go wrong with a B/W :)

It is completely stock? Do you know how old the tires are? Sorry, don't know much about lifts... but wondering how you can fit one in a small garage.

If you search on here, you should see a few threads about car carriers. I was going to purchase a car across the country and did some research. I think a guy by the name of Gary Almond used to be the go to guy, but I'm not sure if he is doing it any more. Also, I don't know exactly where you live, but it can be a hell of a lot cheaper if you were to meet the car carrier at a closer location and drive it home. Just something to bring up when you start getting quotes.

Good luck with your journey!

Sybil TF
07-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Nice! I had Reliable ship my 96 GTS from Texas to St.Louis.

gerch85
07-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Nice looking viper!

SlateEd
07-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Congrats!! Sorry I don't have any great advice on transporters or lifts, but once you get the car back home the NY/CT Viper Club can help you out with almost anything else. Tons of great Viper owners around this area. I'm near White Plains. Hope to see you soon!

XXX BLK
07-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Congrats......you have a pm message

Jack's GTS
07-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Congrats!! Can't beat B&W. I 've used InterCity, Thomas Sunday for long haul in the past. Excellent carriers.

vipertank
07-08-2014, 05:33 AM
Thanks thetalonguy, and yes, it is esentiallly stock. No engine mods, there is a bolt-on muffler delete on it right now, and the car came with the original exhause as well. The tires have plenty of tred, but are getting a bit old, I think they were put on in 2008 or 09, so I figure I have 1 more season in them, especially since I'm not going to drive it hard (and only in good weather) while I get a feel for it.

My garage isn't small really, but I have 2 other cars (a Wrangler, a Mini Cooper and a snowblower, etc) that I'd prefer to keep in there as well. It is a 2 car garage, about 17' wide x 17' deep x 10' high. I will probably have to modify the garage door at least. Thanks for the ideas on shipping.

I think I saw your car on Craigslist a little while back. That is a real nice color combo!

Jf233
07-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Welcome and nice GTS. Have a 2000 GTS myself. Enjoy!

vipertank
07-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to get it to my house and drive it! I realize now I haven't driven it yet as the owner of it, only a test-driver!

Anonymous
07-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Congratulation,like Ed I'm located in westchester,two years ago I bought mine from Ohio and drove it back with my son and it was one of the best trips of my life so think about driving it.

Bill Pemberton
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Agree with Anonymous --------------trip home would be alot of fun, but if you do ship Reliable or Intercity are good choices.

Fatboy 18
07-15-2014, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the Viper world :)

Crotalidae
07-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Welcome aboard...great looking vehicle!!!

Matt Houston
07-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Awesome car and color combo!!! Congrats!

vipertank
07-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Awesome car and color combo!!! Congrats!

Thanks! I've always been quite partial to the b/w myself.

vipertank
08-02-2014, 04:45 AM
I think I remember you telling me about your road trip with your son at tators tech session last fall. I am the guy who was there without a viper(yet). I would drive it...but I'm doing so much traveling right now...I think by the time I get home I'm just going to want to stay home. Especially to sit and wait for a viper delivery!

vipertank
08-02-2014, 04:51 AM
My above post was supposed to have included a reply to anonymous...i guess I'm just a Noob

smhog
08-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Welcome, vipertank.

In the third pic the Michelin Man on the tire looks like he's waving hello to everyone here. :) great pic

Tim

Viper Girl
08-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the VOA Vipertank!

CC road trips are a blast... otherwise Reliable has worked for me.