PDA

View Full Version : Can I hold more g's in a corner?

Ohiotj
07-05-2014, 08:06 AM
I have a 93 viper. At the track my car starts to loss grip right at 1 g. I know going to a race tire can hold more but for now I only have one set of rims. So is 1 g the most I can expect out of a street tire? While at the road course it seemed most cars we faster in the corners especially the sweeping ones. Like I said my tires were already singing to me and these other cars seemed to have more grip while still being on street tires too. The other cars were a few new mustangs, a z06, and a newere 911 turbo. Is this just the difference technology through the years, or am I leaving something on the track? Also I will say gears are too long for the track in my mind but that's another story.

ViperGTS
07-05-2014, 11:43 AM
a '93 has steel suspension parts, not the light weight alu parts the Gen2 has....the geometry of the whole suspension system is late 80's engineering...there is no way to compete with 2014 cars...that is 25 years of a difference. IF you lowered your car too much that might be a problem too.

Did you check the whole suspension system to be 100% ok?
And, yes, the grip of the tires (make, age, ...) makes a big difference!

BlknBlu
07-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Dampners and alignment will give you better grip on the corners.

Bruce

Ohiotj
07-05-2014, 03:41 PM
The car is 100 percent stock minus new brakes, tires and fluids. Dampners would be an option for me. I plan to keep the as stock as possible. It is driven an honest 75% street and 25% on the track. An alignment might kill street tries faster in my ratio of driving. But that's the cost of running on a track I guess. I am more then happy to live with the cars performance as is and want to enjoy it as a 1993 car. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Of course the biggest enhancement I can invest in is seat time. Thanks for your help folks.

Uncle Paul
07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Getting 1G out of a Gen 1 Viper is about all it has to give.

You are doing great.

Best chance of improvement is stickier tires, and higher performance shocks, but 1G is pretty good as you sit.

XSnake
07-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Alignment and tires. If your shocks are the originals then I'm sure there's some performance to be gained there as well as they are getting pretty old.

Leslie
07-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I agree, that's GREAT for an almost stock Gen1!

Unfortunately if you want any more at the track I think you will need to mod it. You could always keep the stock parts...?

djos83
07-17-2014, 03:58 PM
I agree that your doing great for what you have. Best upgrades for more g's on the track are better tires (btw, if your tires are more than 5-6 years old, then they are probably too hard), proper tire pressures, and good aftermarket shocks/springs. Given your car is over 20 years, I can almost guarentee your shocks should be replaced.