PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Enzo at dealer

ViperSmith
06-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Sadly, even reputable dealers like Miller Motorcars can't seem to keep their techs from doing stupid stuff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/gonna-hurt-1-million-ferrari-enzo-smashed-mechanic-connecticut-article-1.1843311

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1843288.1403707806!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/article-ferrari-0625.jpg

Mama mia, this mechanic is going to be in trouble after smashing a Ferrari Enzo supercar on Interstate-95 in Connecticut.

It’s never a good thing when a seriously sexy supercar hits a curb, runs into a guardrail, or is basically dismantled by hard objects that don’t have any respect for exotic cars. But when the hapless person behind the wheel is the guy entrusted to take extra special care of the car, well, things just go to a whole new level of ugly.

That’s exactly what happened when two employees of Miller Motorcars, a classic and exotic car dealership in Greenwich, Connecticut, somehow totaled a customer’s Ferrari Enzo.

From the images taken shortly after the accident, the car appears to be pointing the wrong way on the highway. That hints that someone hit the power way too hard, got the Enzo sliding and skidding, before the center median put an abrupt halt to the fun – and likely the jobs of the two guys in the car at the time.

First on the scene was John Michael Hoda, who was traveling southbound on I-95 to his job at Davis Investigations when the crash occurred at approximately 8:45 a.m. It was Mr. Hoda who snapped the first images of the accident, and who helped the two Miller employees exit the damaged Ferrari.

The driver of the Enzo has since been listed as Leonardo Garcia, a mechanic for Miller Motor Cars. According to online reports, the owner is Michael Fux, owner of an apparently very(!!!) successful mattress company.

Mr. Fux had trusted Miller Motor Cars with the care of his Enzo which, in case you’re in the market for one, can cost roughly $1 million per copy. Ferrari only built 400 examples of the Enzo supercar from 2002 to 2004.

Of course, with roughly 129 cars in his car collection, including the ultra-rare Ferrari FXX, it’s likely Mr. Fux won’t be losing sleep over the loss of his beloved Enzo.

A report in Bed Times Magazine quotes him as a self-confessed “car freak,” who houses his vehicles in a 30,000 sq. ft. garage at his “Horse Power Farm” in Milford, New Jersey.

Stretch
06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Even if I had 129 exotic cars I would still be pissed. One more reason not to hand over the keys, ever.

Policy Limits
06-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Disappointing. I've shopped several cars in their inventory before and even test drove one of their McLarens. We had another local disaster here in New England when a transport company dropped a Ferrari from its top spot on an enclosed trailer. Thank God no one was killed. Both incidents occurred at local very high end dealerships. A solid insurance policy on exotics is a must regardless of the venue.

XSnake
06-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Someone is getting fired

BlknBlu
06-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I have to beleive that places should treat high end cars like virgins. Every precaution shold be taken to protect these expensive cars. I know things happen, but extra care should be the norm.

Bruce

pony23
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't even bother trying to pick up my last check.

Fatboy 18
06-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Do Dealers have insurance for this kinda stuff? My insurance clearly states, no racing, testing on a public highway?

ViperSmith
06-30-2014, 08:18 AM
From the sounds of what happened it was a fairly straight onramp - no reason the car should have lost control. $5 says original tires that were cold and thus hockey pucks.

Nine Ball
06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
If I were Mr. Fux, I'd have my attorney(s) calling that dealership and saying:

"Cool story, bro. When can I expect you to deliver my replacement Enzo?"

SlateEd
06-30-2014, 09:17 AM
I drive through that section of 95 almost every day.. that ramp is definitely strait ahead.
The red streaks down the center divider are long enough he was moving quickly when the car hit, and the distance from the ramp was not that far, ie: it went across 4 lanes almost immediately. Possible he yanked with wheel to merge-in really aggressively and hit the gas all the way at the same time.

It's actually a miracle that he didn't hit several other cars or a semi instead of the barrier... Stamford traffic is a parking lot there at almost any time of day.

Big Miata
06-30-2014, 11:18 AM
This is like putting ripping a priceless painting on transportation. I agree on cold tires and old tires. The real question why where they even taking this car on the freeway when without the owner there. If New Jersey highways are anything like Cali Highways I wouldn't want an irreplaceable car near other crazy drivers.

VYPR BYT
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Well with social media the way it is ... that driver may as well move halfway across the country and start a new identity.

Bugman Jeff
07-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Why was the car at the dealer? While not anywhere near the Enzo's value, when I was working on custom cars for a living, on multiple occasions I've worked on $250K cars where the owner had complaints like "It vibrates at 90 MPH" or "It shifts weird when you mash the gas." In instances like that, when I couldn't replicate the problems in the shop, driving the cars fast and hard(with the owners' consent) was the only way to properly diagnose the problem. While the driver is 100% at fault, I'd still like to know the whole story.