PDA

View Full Version : 6-point harness install

Slithr
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Guys, looking for a picture of properly installed 6-point harnesses. About to install a set of Simpson Racing harnesses and wanted to make sure I do it right. TIA

FLATOUT
11-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Man another one makes it over to the VOA :). What's up Allan!

blk_fxstc
11-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Hey Alan, did you already buy the harnesses?

There seems to be different opinions on "properly installed" between different manufacturers and users, I found that out when I installed mine.

Eric

Leslie
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
I have the Teamtech 6 pt. in my GenII, came with a dvd for installation. I hear all Vipers have the bolts in place for the harnesses. I had to pull out my back panel behind the seats to connect shoulder belts, bolts for lap and antisub were on floor to left and right of seat.

Call Jonb, he can help you!

schulmann
11-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Everything is already on the frame, factory installed, to hookup a harness.
No need to drill, just bolt your harness.

If driving fast (not even racing) concider installing a racing seat with good lateral head support and Hans.
We lost a guy this year :( he had just a regular seat. A small lateral impact finished this young guy.
One of the sadest accident.

Cars get fast but people skip safety.

I need my two hands to count the number of serious track accidents this year.

All happened because of poorly installed, poorly ATTACHED or missing safety equipment.

The neck is the weakest point of the body. Sometimes a race harness can be a source of serious injury. A factory belt let the body move but when you are too tight an impact can have desastating effect on the body.

Keep in mind that racing safety equipement has to go all the way, installing racing belt in some street car is a major source of injury. The right seat/hans device are the way to go when you drive fast and take risks on a race track.

RedTanRT/10
11-07-2013, 10:09 AM
a few years ago I posted a 6 point Teamtech thread with instructions an pictures. It's in the vca illustrated upgrade section

Late Apex
11-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Hey Alan, great to see you here too. Talk with Morgan at Tomball as he has installed many of these inc. mine. The seats come out but he really takes care in getting the job done right and safe. Mark

VENOM V
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Everything is already on the frame, factory installed, to hookup a harness.
No need to drill, just bolt your harness.

If driving fast (not even racing) concider installing a racing seat with good lateral head support and Hans.
We lost a guy this year :( he had just a regular seat. A small lateral impact finished this young guy.
One of the sadest accident.

Cars get fast but people skip safety.

I need my two hands to count the number of serious track accidents this year.

All happened because of poorly installed, poorly ATTACHED or missing safety equipment.

The neck is the weakest point of the body. Sometimes a race harness can be a source of serious injury. A factory belt let the body move but when you are too tight an impact can have desastating effect on the body.

Keep in mind that racing safety equipement has to go all the way, installing racing belt in some street car is a major source of injury. The right seat/hans device are the way to go when you drive fast and take risks on a race track.

Good info, I have a couple of questions if you or anyone else can shed some light for me. I am tracking quite a bit, and would like to upgrade with a harness and a HANs device. The Gen V Viper has a Sabelt seat with exceptional support for tracking and holes for the shoulder belts, but no holes in the seat for submarine straps. I've read that it's best to not use a 6 point unless the seat has holes for them. So should I run a 4 point instead? Not sure why I wouldn't run a 6 point with this seat, it seems it would be a lot better than the stock 3 point and likely better than a 4 point. And can I safely run a 4 point with a HANs? I'm not going to replace the Sabelts, so I need to go with the safest harness I can run with the factory seats. The Gen V has the advantage that it comes with shoulder harness mounting points, not sure about the other points yet.

steve911
11-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Good info, I have a couple of questions if you or anyone else can shed some light for me. I am tracking quite a bit, and would like to upgrade with a harness and a HANs device. The Gen V Viper has a Sabelt seat with exceptional support for tracking and holes for the shoulder belts, but no holes in the seat for submarine straps. I've read that it's best to not use a 6 point unless the seat has holes for them. So should I run a 4 point instead? Not sure why I wouldn't run a 6 point with this seat, it seems it would be a lot better than the stock 3 point and likely better than a 4 point. And can I safely run a 4 point with a HANs? I'm not going to replace the Sabelts, so I need to go with the safest harness I can run with the factory seats. The Gen V has the advantage that it comes with shoulder harness mounting points, not sure about the other points yet.
Do not run a 4 point because you cannot tighten the shoulder belts properly without pulling the lap belt out of position. there is a reason 4 points are not allowed in any competition.

Take a look again at a 6 point harness especially the TeamTech. The 6 point belts hook where the laps do and they lay on top of the seat bottom. The driver sits on the belts and pulls the connector between his legs and hooks to the center harness camlock. Its a little hard to describe, but look for Team Techs video on the 'net. It will really explain everything.

blk_fxstc
11-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Do not run a 4 point because you cannot tighten the shoulder belts properly without pulling the lap belt out of position. there is a reason 4 points are not allowed in any competition.

Take a look again at a 6 point harness especially the TeamTech. The 6 point belts hook where the laps do and they lay on top of the seat bottom. The driver sits on the belts and pulls the connector between his legs and hooks to the center harness camlock. Its a little hard to describe, but look for Team Techs video on the 'net. It will really explain everything.

This......

Slithr
11-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Hey Andy,

Hope to catch-up with you soon, nice Gen V manifold project. Are you planning to go to the holiday party?

Slithr
11-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Hey Alan, did you already buy the harnesses?

Hey Eric, glad I found out where the cool guys hang! I did buy my harnesses (last March). I was planning to spend an afternoon installing them with FL8-SNK, so I wouldn't need to ask these questions, but it seems he's very busy these days (hope he's well).

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/VCA%20Misc/6-Point_zps1953936a.jpg
Went with quick release per FL8-SNK, and Simpson hardware for every point.
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/VCA%20Misc/quickrelaease_zpsd7dfbdf9.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/VCA%20Misc/Hardware_zps0309cd6a.jpg

I've just been a chicken $hit when it comes to wrenching on her. I understand there are wires attached to the seats and was concerned about doing more damage than good. I just might have to call Simpson (or JonB, thanks Leslie)

Slithr
11-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Thanks (Leslie, Schulmann, ACRVPRC, Late Apex), Great advise I'll heed before tracking the car more.

VENOM V
11-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll take a look at the Team Tech 6-point. I read a lot of warnings against using a 6 point harness unless your seat bottom has holes for the submarine straps. So it sounds like a 6 point is the best solution for me, even though changing out the stock Sabelt seats is not an option. Sure, not as good as using a 6-point with a purpose-built race seat, but a big improvement over the stock 3-point, and it would allow me to run a HANS device.

Agreed?

blk_fxstc
11-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey Eric, glad I found out where the cool guys hang! I did buy my harnesses (last March). I was planning to spend an afternoon installing them with FL8-SNK, so I wouldn't need to ask these questions, but it seems he's very busy these days (hope he's well).

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/VCA%20Misc/6-Point_zps1953936a.jpg
Went with quick release per FL8-SNK, and Simpson hardware for every point.
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/VCA%20Misc/quickrelaease_zpsd7dfbdf9.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/VCA%20Misc/Hardware_zps0309cd6a.jpg

I've just been a chicken $hit when it comes to wrenching on her. I understand there are wires attached to the seats and was concerned about doing more damage than good. I just might have to call Simpson (or JonB, thanks Leslie)

If you are not in a hurry Alan, I can help you put them in. I put mine in myself and yours will be easy since you have a vert. I'm moving next week to the south side (Rosharon) and will be tied up with that for a while, but I can help you when I get that finished up.

blk_fxstc
11-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll take a look at the Team Tech 6-point. I read a lot of warnings against using a 6 point harness unless your seat bottom has holes for the submarine straps. So it sounds like a 6 point is the best solution for me, even though changing out the stock Sabelt seats is not an option. Sure, not as good as using a 6-point with a purpose-built race seat, but a big improvement over the stock 3-point, and it would allow me to run a HANS device.

Agreed?

Yes. You will have way more control of the car on the track versus the 3 point, it will feel like a different car from the drivers seat. Make sure you order the 6 points with HANS provisions, they are different than the standard 6 points.

MtnBiker
11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
I am looking to order the Teamtech 6 point. I have a question - which model, the 5003 (page 4) or the 6004 (page 9)? Not sure if I am allowed to add this link (my bad if not):

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/2011_Catalog.pdf

FLATOUT
11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey Andy,

Hope to catch-up with you soon, nice Gen V manifold project. Are you planning to go to the holiday party?

Doubt I'll be at the Holiday Party (Newborn), but I will be at the Dyno Day this weekend.

steve911
11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I am looking to order the Teamtech 6 point. I have a question - which model, the 5003 (page 4) or the 6004 (page 9)? Not sure if I am allowed to add this link (my bad if not):

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/2011_Catalog.pdf

The best thing to do to save any potential for Mistakes is to call Jon B at Parts Rack. He has sold dozens of the harnesses and will let you know of your options and he is less expensive than going direct to TeamTech.

Call Jon and Tell him Steve911 sent you.

Scott Mannny
11-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I bought my Team Tech six point from Jon B. He told me that the install was easy and it was!!! The worst part of the intall was adjusting the belt to fit my body. Call Jon he can help you and answer any questions that you may have.

VENOM V
11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Any of you guys running HANS devices too?

RedTanRT/10
11-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Any of you guys running HANS devices too?

Yes, and if you plan to use a HANS the standard shoulder belts are too wide. Order/buy HANS specific belts

VENOM V
11-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes, and if you plan to use a HANS the standard shoulder belts are too wide. Order/buy HANS specific belts

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be tracking Laguna Seca Thursday, then a number of tracks next year.