PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender for Gen 3

Newport Viper
11-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Not driving the '04 as much these days. Maybe 1-2 times a week. It's been a little rough to start. Recommendations on a Battery Tender for the Gen 3? I would like to plug in through Cig lighter for convience does that work?

slitherv10
11-06-2013, 01:26 PM
If you use the search box, you'll notice another thread on charging and battery tender recommendations.

C-teck is what I use. Not a cigarette lighter application but with the supplied hard wiring on the battery terminals you can support the male end off the adapter and plug it in at any time.

Check your battery's charge first. If the battery has been under stress in the past years, ie left out in the cold uncharged or drained too many times, it could need to be changed. If you look at it and it the sides are buldging or pregnant for the lack of a word then a battery tender would do nothing to bring it back to life..

01sapphirebob
11-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Original battery? If thats the case then a new battery is what you need. A tender is still required for winter months but i woukd start with the new battery first.

Slithr
11-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Original battery? If thats the case then a new battery is what you need.

Good advise Bob, I was thinking original battery also .... especially if started weekly. I replaced my battery 1.5 years ago and have never used a tender. I think once she sat for 6 weeks and wouldn't start, but other than that starts strong.

Canadian venom
11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
That's what I use also, C-Tek are the battery tender that come standard with every new Ferrari...

Ricketts
11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I've always used(and recommended to many friends) the Schumacher brand one from Walmart thats only $20.

Silver04
11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Before you pursue a tender, have you used the extended life feature on the car? It usually lets me keep the car parked for ~2 months with no starting issues (as long as I remember to turn it on!)

swexlin
11-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Before you pursue a tender, have you used the extended life feature on the car? It usually lets me keep the car parked for ~2 months with no starting issues (as long as I remember to turn it on!)

Correct, I keep my 03 in sleep mode, and it sleeps in an unheated garage, where I cannot use a tender. This is with the Sears Diehard Platinum I installed almost 3 years ago now. No issues (knock wood), except the car has never sat more than 4 weeks, so I cannot comment on how it would be after a couple months.

slitherv10
11-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Correct, I keep my 03 in sleep mode, and it sleeps in an unheated garage, where I cannot use a tender. This is with the Sears Diehard Platinum I installed almost 3 years ago now. No issues (knock wood), except the car has never sat more than 4 weeks, so I cannot comment on how it would be after a couple months.

Those Diehards are probably the best batteries bar none. I have the Optima Red top and works perfect but, next battery is a Diehard

SSGNRDZ_28
11-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Not driving the '04 as much these days. Maybe 1-2 times a week. It's been a little rough to start. Recommendations on a Battery Tender for the Gen 3? I would like to plug in through Cig lighter for convience does that work?

You can plug into the cigarette lighter and it will work but the “electrical ideal” is always the closest possible connection to the battery, especially for higher currents. It is also best for battery health to have your battery on a tender (or other battery conditioner) at all times if possible, given these cars typically go more time between drives than a normal car.

You can connect a battery tender adapter to the battery and plug in through the rear vents. Tie-wrapping this is one method for mounting this adapter plug. This is more convenient than having to crack a window or trunk hatch and keeps your car sealed from the elements.

Now to shamelessly plug my product:

If you get tired of removing the OEM battery access panel, I offer a solution that is quick release and can be removed in 10 seconds with a Philips screwdriver. This is CNC aluminum and stainless steel construction, lighter / stronger than stock, and seals better due to the design.

For a little more I offer a bracket that attaches to the underside of my panel and provides a mounting point for the battery tender SAE-2pin connecter.

The price may be more than what some are willing to spend but offers a motorsport grade solution for the battery cover panel and connector mount.
Everyone I’ve sold one to is more than happy with the product and it is quick and easy to install.

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/uploads/DSE_Dodge_Viper_SRT-10_Battery_Cover_and_Charger_Connector_Rev2.pdf

eucharistos
11-06-2013, 07:56 PM
i keep my gen 2 on a tender regularly, i just spliced a cigar lighter plug from a cell phone charger and plug it right in, has been working fine for years and is very easy

Newport Viper
11-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Original battery?

New... ish ..maybe at the 1 year mark

St.Char
11-07-2013, 12:36 AM
I have used a battery tender plus for 6 yrs. and really like it. I hard wired my '03 by directly mounting it to the battery terminal and routing it out through the front fascia and tethering it to the hood release...works great! No opening the hood or windows, just plugs right in.

Canadian venom
11-07-2013, 04:26 AM
I always used a battery tender and I still have the original battery in my 04....

Late Apex
11-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Not driving the '04 as much these days. Maybe 1-2 times a week. It's been a little rough to start. Recommendations on a Battery Tender for the Gen 3? I would like to plug in through Cig lighter for convience does that work? Great question and YES one of the easiest places to connect the tender which I do all the time is thru the 12v receptacle in the center console. Get the Deltran tender (best one on the market) and the optional cig. plug/cord. Just plug in and lower one of the windows down just enough to allow the cord to exit the car before closing the door, or lower it all the way if you wish. Works like a charm and you do not have to open the hood or install pig tails off the battery flopping around.

06_SRT
11-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I have a battery tender hard wired to the battery in the trunk. I have it to where the pigtail is Velcro'd to a spot on the battery and when I'm finished driving, I just reach in through the hole in the back bumper and plug it in.

Newport Viper
11-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the advice all!

How is the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?

The BatteryTender® Plus (BT Plus) battery charger has microprocessor controlled power electronic circuitry which enables it to preform and safely control a number of sophisticated charging functions, well beyond the capability of inexpensive trickle chargers.

After connecting the BT Plus to a battery and then applying AC power, it first conducts a number of checks during Initialization Mode to ensure that the battery functioning normally. Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 1.25 amperes. This is called the Bulk Charge Mode. The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BT Plus will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level, allowing the charge current amplitude to drop. This is the Absorption Charge Mode. The Absorption Charge Mode is complete when the battery charge current drops below a very low value, usually below ¼ ampere. Some BT Plus models have timers to limit the duration of the Absorption Charge Mode.

After the current drops or the allotted time expires (typically several hours), the BT Plus automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and ½ volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest. This keeps the battery topped off at voltages well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery.

Based on price alone, trickle chargers often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, but trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger may very well rise to an unacceptably high level, sometimes even going higher than 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. This magnitude of voltage is far above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, extreme damage may be done to the battery. Without Battery Tender® type electronic safety controls, what appears to be an initial cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries.

Newport Viper
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
It took 11 hours just to get it back to 80% (Green light blinking) 14 to charge full