PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Gen 3/4 Viper Power Wheels

Vprbite
06-15-2014, 04:35 AM
First, a little (long) backstory.
When I was a kid, I wanted a power wheels more than anything. I mean, a little car that I could drive myself...was there anything cooler in the world? I think not. They even made a KITT from Knighrider. I wanted one so bad, more than anything. I was incredibly good every year but santa kept giving me the shaft. Really, the truth of the matter was we just couldn't afford one at the time. Those things were about 400 bucks back then in 1985. What is that now? About 2 grand? I mean, we weren't destitute. It's not like we starved or anything drastic, but with 3 kids and of course general living expenses, a 400 dollar toy just wasn't in the cards for me. My mother used to take a picture of us each on the first day of school, but my outfit looked suspiciously similar to my older brother's outfit a couple years prior on his first day of school if you catch my drift. I mean, it's pretty understandable. it was just a really expensive damn toy. I had a great childhood and a wonderful family, but things like a power wheels were just a bit out of reach as they were for most kids. I get it. What used to really get to me though was that kids who had them were always so bad to them. They would crash em, leave em out in the rain for days and treat em like garbage. I would have never been that bad to mine if I had been fortunate enough to have one, I would tell myself. Now, as time progressed we got to where it could have been a possibility to get me one. It was definitely within reach, but it had fallen down my wish list at the age of 15 or so as one might have guessed, when real cars became the main thing all boys want. Well, technically it's the second thing on the list of what 15/16 yr old boys want, but it is integral in getting the first thng on the list, so I am sure you all know what I mean.

Fast forward some years later and I got my dream car, a 2002 GTS. It was deeply meaningful to me as it was a promise I kept to myself that I made when the GTS came out when I was 16, the perfect age for lusting after such a vehicle. but I had finally done it, I finally had a Viper. I of course had the 1:18 model of my car too because we are never too old for toys but I couldn't shake still always wanting that power wheels. The only problem was at the time they only made a Gen 3/4 power wheels (or some other brand, but the concept is the same) and I didn't want that one because I had the GTS. I considered getting it for my nephews anyway as I continue on the great tradition of Uncles passed down for generations of getting nephews anything that their parents have explicitly banned them from having, but they were in Alaska and I never got to see them and they were still a bit too young to really have been able to enjoy it.

Now, due to unforeseen circumstances, I have a Gen 3, but as luck would have it the only power wheels Viper they make now is of the brand new Viper style. I have searched all the usual places like ebay and craigslist but no luck. I don't think these things have a very long lifespan because they tend to get played with pretty hard.

So now, not only do I have that strange itch to scratch over never getting one when I was young, but 2 of my nephews are the perfect age to really enjoy it, they are back in Arizona because my brother switched companies so his family could be back in Arizona, and they LOVE Uncle Jeff's Viper and going for rides. Right now they are forced to ride in my brother's yellow Corvette. A corvette for crying out loud! I am considering calling Child Protective Services. No child should ever be subjected to such horror. I also have a neighbor whose family I have gotten close with because the dad of the family's father graduated West Point one year after my dad did so we have gotten to be friends and their little boy loves the Viper and is also coming into perfect power wheels age.

So, while I could just get the Gen V power wheels, I thought I would take a shot here. If there is a Gen 3 children's electric Viper out there that has been maintained and not abused, this is the place where ot could be found. Does anyone have one whose children have outgrown and no longer want? Or perhaps you no longer have your Gen 3/4 and now have a Gen V and therefor need the one to match. Yes, I know it is a real longshot, and an even longer backstory, but I had to explain why something seemingly so trivial has such an odd importance to me. As long as it runs and isnt missing tail lights or something odd I cant replace. I think that's all I require. I can paint it if needed. A few scratches or whatever are fine. I just really want to be able to share my Viper in a whole new way with my nephews, and satisfy that tantrum-throwing 6 yr old inside of me.

So let me know if you have one or know of one. If not, at the very least I hope maybe you got a laugh or two out of my story, as I am sure many of you out there saw bits of your own life in it. I am sure if you had older siblings, you got the pleasure of hand me downs. Of course I had brothers, so they would tell me things like that they were gonna fart in the clothes on purpose so later I would have to wear their farts. That's traumatic to a 6 yr old. Ahh, the joys of family. I am best man at his wedding in a couple months, perhaps I should bring that story up. :devilish:

Thanks for reading. Wish me luck in my search.

steve911
06-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Check Craigs list constantly. I was in the same boat as you but was looking for 1 of each for my Grand kids. Lo and behold I now have one of each...

Persistance is the name of the game....

Vprbite
06-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Check Craigs list constantly. I was in the same boat as you but was looking for 1 of each for my Grand kids. Lo and behold I now have one of each...

Persistance is the name of the game....

Thanks for the tip. I will keep trying. If they grow out of it you know who to call.

If anyone finds one though in the meantime, let me know! Thanks all!

98intrigue
06-17-2014, 04:35 PM
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tag/4510559057.html

Vprbite
06-17-2014, 05:59 PM
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tag/4510559057.html

Thanks 98intrigue. Already sold though. I sent him an email immediately after finding that yesterday and he responded this morning that it was sold.

Vprbite
06-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Think I found one. Going to get it tomorrow. They painted it black but I planned on giving it a nice red paint job and kicking up the power anyway, so no worries there. Will let you know how it works out.

WhiteSnake
06-19-2014, 05:44 PM
VB, glad you found one. Post pics before and after.

98intrigue
06-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Found another in case you didn't pick up the one you're speaking of

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/tag/4528407898.html

98intrigue
06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
And another

http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/tag/4525654626.html

Vprbite
06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks intrigue. Those look GREAT! I was able to pick that one up in Gilbert ( A suburb of Phoenix, bout 90 minutes from me here in Tucson) it needs some work. They had painted it flat black. I panned on giving it a true, high quality paint job so that doesn't worry me much. The battery no longer takes a charge but that is very common and I planned on doubling the power with 2 new batteries and possibly replacing the motor so no issue there either. Buying one of those nice ones would have at least had me up and running right away, but I bet shipping would be a bank breaker. Thanks all for your help. I will let you know how the project goes.