PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous install pics gen 2

James430
06-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Here a few pics of a nos kit from Nitrous Dave at Nitrous outlet......It's hard to understand why more people don't use nos....My mods after buying all the parts,heads,headers,cam sec Dyno tune etc. and paying to have everything done was about $10,000 for 113 rwhp which is about average depending on how radical you want to go with the heads and cam.
The kit came with 70 hp jets already installed which I'll play with next week.and the Gen 2 forged pistons are plenty strong enough for the 200 hp jets or higher......I had to wait a few weeks for the kit because I wanted the plates....they are the only one that makes plate kits for the different year Vipers.
If you do the work yourself you can get 200 safe rwhp for about $1000.00.Thats a big savings from what you pay for 100 hp NA......The 10 lb tank fit nice in the trunk with a little help with some diamond plate,you can see the plates behind throttle bodies makes a nice compact install...will need to purchase another solenoid for the purge system.Easy tie in to the fuel at right rear of the manifold...the switch is my favorite,just take out your ashtray and it pops right in,arm,purge,remote bottle opener and bottle heater.will be hooking up all on mine......Hope this helps a little,can't wait to give a try.

James430
06-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Couple more pics

plumcrazy
06-13-2014, 06:27 PM
looks like a clean install. id ask about the placement of that bottle. i seem to recall issues with the tank being in that position and a pickup issue when under power. ask nitrous outlet about it. meaning the bottle needs to be pointing towards the front of the car instead of the side.

IMO, no need for a purge. it only lessons the initial HIT which is not a bad thing when you are running an additional 200 rwhp.

Troublemaker
06-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Nawz never really took off with Vipers like some other platforms. Maybe it's the expense of the rebuilds and the Nitrous horror stories. Maybe Fast and Furious ruined it for everyone else. Back in the 5.0 and LT1 days, it was the go to power adder, but Blowers were there also. We knew way less about it than we do now and still used it. Maybe the fact the motors could be rebuilt cheaply and quickly made it so we didn't really care when we screwed up as much.

That's a nice clean kit, and the early forged motors would be the perfect candidates.

slitherv10
06-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Constantly filling bottles and making sure your system is tight and running well all the time, as well as the scare of leaks in and around the motor and into the cylinders. I thought of this way as well but, in the end, after you spend all that money on filing bottles and the hassle of doing so, you could go SC and have power on tap anytime anywhere with no horror stories on the back of my mind.

That said, if you install a well put together kit, which is key in NOS builds then your fine and less stories and thus worries. The install is very important. If it is not done correctly, Yikes.

I was also told that, when you use the tank, as the tank gets empty, there is loss of power directly related to what is left in the tank. Not sure if it is true but that is what I was told.

Also make sure the system is turned off every night when you park it and check for pressure losses very time you get in it , as if there is a leak in the system and it went into a cylinder, Kaboom!

Viper Red
06-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Would NOS cool down the engine more as opposed to force induction which would require extra cooling?

IndyRon
06-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Would NOS cool down the engine more as opposed to force induction which would require extra cooling?

The actual spray into the intake tract is VERY cold and will cool down the charge temperatures drastically. This is often why many blower guys will use just a small shot 25-50hp and often gain twice that on the dyno. Though because N2O is an oxygen source and increases the percentage of O2 present in the cylinder per total volume of gas allowing for more power to be made, the combustion chamber and exhaust temperatures usually rise while spraying compared to a WOT run on motor alone. If tuned properly, the increase in EGT's for that short duration of time typically isn't an issue.

GTSJoe
06-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Here a few pics of a nos kit from Nitrous Dave at Nitrous outlet......It's hard to understand why more people don't use nos....My mods after buying all the parts,heads,headers,cam sec Dyno tune etc. and paying to have everything done was about $10,000 for 113 rwhp which is about average depending on how radical you want to go with the heads and cam.
The kit came with 70 hp jets already installed which I'll play with next week.and the Gen 2 forged pistons are plenty strong enough for the 200 hp jets or higher......I had to wait a few weeks for the kit because I wanted the plates....they are the only one that makes plate kits for the different year Vipers.
If you do the work yourself you can get 200 safe rwhp for about $1000.00.Thats a big savings from what you pay for 100 hp NA......The 10 lb tank fit nice in the trunk with a little help with some diamond plate,you can see the plates behind throttle bodies makes a nice compact install...will need to purchase another solenoid for the purge system.Easy tie in to the fuel at right rear of the manifold...the switch is my favorite,just take out your ashtray and it pops right in,arm,purge,remote bottle opener and bottle heater.will be hooking up all on mine......Hope this helps a little,can't wait to give a try.

Thanks for the great posting on your Gen 2 N2O install. I am thinking about getting the exact same set up next year. I spoke with the guys at Nitrous Outlet; they were very knowledgeable about the pros and cons. Did you get any of the additional upgrades like the stage 3 accessory package which prevents engine damage by cutting off the fuel at redline plus a bottle heater? Let me know the outcome of your build once you get to the dyno and get it tuned.

Thanks,

GTSJoe

GTSJoe
06-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Plumcrazy,

I have seen your nitrous postings on the other sites. You seem like the Gen 2 N2O guru.

Is it okay to run 200 on the stock fuel pump? Do you think the extra nitrous accessory kit is worth $500 bucks? The kit is below:

Nitrous Outlet Stage 3 Accessory Package

Improved System Function. A nitrous system's functionality can be greatly improved by adding a few simple accessories. The Nitrous Outlet Stage 3 accessory package will help maintain and monitor bottle pressure while making your system NHRA legal for track events. The included nitrous filter will also insure that your motor is getting a clean shot of nitrous to prevent debris from clogging a jet.

Application. The accessories included in this package are compatible with all brand nitrous systems and can often be used in conjunction with other accessories.

Package includes:

•Automatic bottle heater/billet bottle bracket
•Hex to Wing Adapter
•Luminescent nitrous pressure gauge
•Fuel pressure safety switch
•NHRA fitting
•Nitrous filter
•Purge Kit
•Blow down tube

Thanks,

GTSJoe

plumcrazy
06-27-2014, 07:58 PM
yes its ok on a stock gen2. and i replied to your PM

Ryu Hyabuza
02-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Did you have to run a splitter from the solenoids to run to both throttle bodies or did you have a separate fuel/nos solenoid for the 2nd throttle body? I can't tell from your pics. Thx

2001gts
02-28-2016, 08:12 AM
You can mount a bottle sideways but it has to be clocked slightly if you want to remove the dregs...

Second yes you can pull about 400 HP of NOS out of one bottle.
At least this was back in the day perhaps its better now, but I doubt it stuff looks the same.