PDA

View Full Version : 650hp competition

F2V
06-06-2014, 05:52 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/06/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-650-hp-official/

swexlin
06-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Daayyyyyum. Nice car for sure. Not too many cars that can out-torque a Viper...

FLATOUT
06-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Car should be fast.

swexlin
06-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Car should be fast.

Understatement! I love it, this is a great time to be a car guy. Now if only I had the extra $$!! Seriously, I think this is good - the already superb Gen 5 will now have to get even better to compete.

Murpowa
06-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Okay Dodge/SRT - the ball is in your court. What's the play?

Drummerviper
06-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Sad day. Chevy continues to be dominant, must have sports car in America , while Viper keeps chasing its tail. Guys I know with 458s , Lambos etc are looking at the Z, and don't even mention the Viper anymore.

I hate it.

HANKFAN
06-06-2014, 07:58 AM
Sad day. Chevy continues to be dominant, must have sports car in America , while Viper keeps chasing its tail. Guys I know with 458s , Lambos etc are looking at the Z, and don't even mention the Viper anymore.

I hate it.

The only thing GM dominates is recalls!

VRYALT3R3D
06-06-2014, 08:03 AM

I hate it.

When did the Viper ever dominate(except the roadcourse)?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/chevy-corvette-z06-vs-dodge-viper-gts-acr-ford-svt-mustang-cobra-r-comparison-test
+ Third: Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R
+ Second: Dodge Viper GTS ACR
+ First: Chevrolet Corvette Z06

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2006-chevrolet-corvette-z06-vs-2006-dodge-viper-srt10-comparison-tests

+ Second: 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10
+ First: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/chevy-corvette-z06-vs-dodge-viper-srt10-acr-nissan-gt-r-porsche-911-gt2-comparison-tests
+ Fourth: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
+ Third: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
+ First: 2009 Nissan GT-R
+ Second: 2008 Porsche 911 GT2

Bruce H.
06-06-2014, 08:33 AM
So that's 14 hp more than the old ZR1 and 10 more than the Viper,right? Wow! I guess people that bought a GenV Viper for all the wrong reasons will suffer a fate worse than death at this news.

Make it 750 and I still wouldn't care. Didn't care that the F12 and Aventador make 90 and 60 hp more either...but did notice the Gen V spanks both where SRT designed the car's performance. The Z06 will be a great car for those that find it appealing, but no more so than those that prefer the Viper.

ViperTony
06-06-2014, 08:34 AM
" According to Chevy, 457 pound-feet of torque is available at idle, while 96 percent of peak torque arrives by 2,800 rpm"

That's going to be a very fun Vette!!! Kudos to Chevy for upping the ante!

Dman
06-06-2014, 08:36 AM
650 tq, that is impressive. Looking forward to seeing the perf numbers this thing puts out, the Z06 & ZR1 always did great in getting the most out of the power they have, I assume this will be the same.

Throw stones all you like in you frustration as a vette-hater, but I don't know how you don't respect the testosterone ridden red, white & blue blood in this vette's veins. Oh, and the top comes off.

C'mon Ralph, give at least a teaser on the vert or some news other than paints. I like the darkside, and I'm not sure I can rock the gold necklace & pinky ring required to own a vette, but this new Z06 has my attention, sorry to admit, but being honest.

ViperSmith
06-06-2014, 08:37 AM
All the retired plumbers should be excited :)

The Viper was announced three years prior buy the time this thing hits show room floors, unsure why people expect the world to not evolve during that time.

Well see what SRT answers with. Been rumors of a hp bump so who knows.

For all the DCT/Auto haters, Chevy will sell a shit ton if these in Auto, id bet more than half. The off the line speeds in this thing will be crazy in auto.

ACRucrazy
06-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I hope Chevy sells a shit ton. Oh nice corvette you also have one? Me too.

Me too cars are boring.

RedTanRT/10
06-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Big numbers that will get larger with the help from the aftermarket.

Auto trans versions, 0-60 sub 3, 1/4 10.5, while texting

SRT needs to build T/A 2.0 quick, I'll bet chevy's press release ride and drive will be at Laguna Seca to claim a new record

donk_316
06-06-2014, 09:22 AM
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1092548_2015-chevy-corvette-z06-650-hp-650-lb-ft-most-powerful-gm-ever

The most powerful car General Motors has ever built will soon hit the streets, packing 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque. It’s the new 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, and it promises to be America’s fastest production car, in both coupe and convertible forms.

Creating all of that power is a 6.2-liter LT4 supercharged V-8 engine, officially certified at the dual 650 mark. Peak power comes at 6,400 rpm, while peak torque arrives at just 3,600 rpm. While the horsepower curve looks like a financial analyst’s dream—always up and to the right—the torque curve is a much flatter, rising from 457 pound-feet to its peak, then gently descending back again as the engine’s RPMs range from idle to redline. Over 90 percent of peak torque (592 pound-feet) is available from 2,500 rpm to 5,400 rpm.

The LT4’s prodigious output has Chevy talking tough. “Torque is the pulling power of an engine and the LT4’s abundance of it at every rpm in the engine’s speed range helps the 2015 Corvette Z06 accelerate quicker and respond nearly instantaneously,” said Jordan Lee, chief engineer for Small Block engines. “It’s the very definition of power on demand.”

Fans of supercharged Corvettes will note that the Z06’s torque output eclipses even the last-generation ZR1—by about 7.5 percent. It has 12 more horsepower, too.

“It’s also worth mentioning that the LT4’s supercar performance numbers are achieved with an engine that is nearly the same size as the very compact LT1 engine introduced in the 2014 Corvette Stingray,” Lee said. “The power density of the LT4 makes it one of the smallest and lightest 650-hp engines in the industry.”
CHECK OUT: Lego V-8 And Six-Speed Sequential Gearbox Are Awesome: Video

Ford fans might counter with the example of the 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500, which rates an even lairier 662 horsepower and 631 pound-feet of torque from its own supercharged 5.8-liter V-8 engine, but Z06 aficionados will be quick to point out that their Bowtie-branded car will likely weigh at least 300 pounds less than the Blue Oval's beast once the final figures are released.

The motive force behind the LT4’s power output, aside from its 10.0:1 compression ratio, forged aluminum internal components, titanium intake valves, direct injection fueling, and the Rotocast A356T6 aluminum cylinder heads, is the Eaton R1740 TVS 1.7-liter supercharger rotating at up to 20,000 rpm. Stainless steel exhaust manifolds help cut weight, while a dry-sump oiling system helps ensure even lubrication even under hard cornering loads. The engine can be mated to either the standard seven-speed manual gearbox, or the new 8L90 eight-speed paddle-shift automatic, which Chevy says has been tuned to perform on par with competitive dual-clutch units.

Accompanying the data release on the engines is a brief infographic outlining the Z06's ranking among the world's most powerful production cars, three of which are limited-production hyper-hybrids. For its price and its expected performance level, the Z06 is once again shaping up to be a world-beating performance bargain. Just how much of a bargain will have to wait until Chevy sees fit to release pricing and performance specs, however.

While the LT4 will be assembled at the Performance Build Center in the Bowling Green Assembly Plant—the origin of all Corvettes—it will also be assembled at GM’s Tonawanda engine plant in New York.

The first 2015 Corvette Z06s will reach customers in early 2015.

swexlin
06-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Duplicate thread.

99RT10
06-06-2014, 10:08 AM
For all the DCT/Auto haters, Chevy will sell a shit ton if these in Auto, id bet more than half. The off the line speeds in this thing will be crazy in auto.

Absolutely. Dodge needs to have an auto as an option. Not only to sell more cars, but to stay competitive.

Drummerviper
06-06-2014, 10:50 AM
When did the Viper ever dominate(except the roadcourse)?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/chevy-corvette-z06-vs-dodge-viper-gts-acr-ford-svt-mustang-cobra-r-comparison-test
+ Third: Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R
+ Second: Dodge Viper GTS ACR
+ First: Chevrolet Corvette Z06

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2006-chevrolet-corvette-z06-vs-2006-dodge-viper-srt10-comparison-tests

+ Second: 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10
+ First: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/chevy-corvette-z06-vs-dodge-viper-srt10-acr-nissan-gt-r-porsche-911-gt2-comparison-tests
+ Fourth: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
+ Third: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR
+ First: 2009 Nissan GT-R
+ Second: 2008 Porsche 911 GT2

Newbie--it dominated for years--us old farts remember the 90s LOL

Indy
06-06-2014, 10:52 AM
If that doesn't send a message to SRT/Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat, I don't know what will. The 2015 model must beat those figures...by a considerable margin, if Viper wants to gain back some of the respect it's had in the past!

FLATOUT
06-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Bingo. Viper was so far out in front it was a joke almost including the other makes.

As for this current situation, now that HP Tuners seems to be unlocking the ECU tuning capabilities on our Vipers i'm not worried. Boltons and a tune and these Vipers are 700+ and or 650rwhp capable builds with zero stress on them, and they still look incredible.

Prinzeugen
06-06-2014, 11:01 AM
The Viper is still the best looking car there is

swexlin
06-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Yep, 96 GTS at 450 hp/490 lb ft (still fast even today), not too much on the road could touch it. Hell, even Gen 1 at 400/450 is still pretty fast!

ViperSmith
06-06-2014, 11:08 AM
As much as I want to love the C7Z, just something missing.

Maybe I'll buy one, but certainly not the first year run after seeing what the base C7 went though lol.

The Auto is just going to be a killer, assuming it handles the HP and TQ.

- - - Updated - - -

I think his point was more the rags still did the same with it back then.

FrgMstr
06-06-2014, 11:14 AM
That car is going to be a BEAST. Good for GM, good to see it out there kicking ass and taking names.

And I am not so sure that the Gen V looks better than this....

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/convertibles/1404_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_convertible_first _look/68758765/2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Convertible-front-three-quarters-02.jpg

SSGNRDZ_28
06-06-2014, 12:16 PM
It will be interesting to see what they can do with the weight of the car, where they can save over the base model since they are adding the super charger and the C7 weighs more than the C6. Still a pretty awesome car.

Bruce
06-06-2014, 12:55 PM
That car is going to be a BEAST. Good for GM, good to see it out there kicking ass and taking names.

And I am not so sure that the Gen V looks better than this....

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/convertibles/1404_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_convertible_first _look/68758765/2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-Convertible-front-three-quarters-02.jpg

My BIG issue with the new Z is I can't decide whether to get the coupe or the vert, manual or auto. Seriously, what is not to like on the new Z??? A pulley, headers, and tune will get you 750 HP on 100 octane for less than $8K, I'd bet.

SWEEN
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
The new Z is awesome. Hopefully the 2015 Viper refresh is ready for it!

Troublemaker
06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
They did a very nice job with the new Z. If they can keep the heat soak at bay, this could be a very good track car. I was surprised when the Z06 wasn't NA considering it's been Chevys go to track choice. While the butt of that car still hasn't grown on me, I can overlook that and appreciate the rest.

Steve M
06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
It will be interesting to see what they can do with the weight of the car, where they can save over the base model since they are adding the super charger and the C7 weighs more than the C6. Still a pretty awesome car.

I'm also curious about this...the article mentions that it will be at least 300lbs lighter than the GT500, but that would still put it around 3,550 lbs, although I don't think it will weigh that much.

I'm also wondering if people will be looking into blower swaps since they went with a smaller unit that they are spinning faster. Maybe this blower has more head room than I am thinking, but I guess we'll see.

ViperSmith
06-06-2014, 04:19 PM
They did a very nice job with the new Z. If they can keep the heat soak at bay, this could be a very good track car. I was surprised when the Z06 wasn't NA considering it's been Chevys go to track choice. While the butt of that car still hasn't grown on me, I can overlook that and appreciate the rest.

Z06 is just a label, nothing more.

Newport Viper
06-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow. Going to be butt kicker for sure. Come on Dodge ......kill it on the refresh!
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/with-650-hp--new-corvette-z06-becomes-most-power-vette-ever-130300736.html

Newport Viper
06-06-2014, 06:13 PM
I'll bet chevy's press release ride and drive will be at Laguna Seca to claim a new record

Bet they go for a Ring run too....

Troublemaker
06-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Z06 is just a label, nothing more.

To a point, I agree. Now we get to sit back and see if the ZR1 reappears. I honestly don't think SRT is going to keep pace with the HP wars, the aftermarket looks to be taking that on now. But I do see SRT waiting to see what kind of track times this car turns before we see an ACR. The TAs looks to be holding their own.

Schen
06-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Yes, they're going to Nurburgring. No, not anytime soon. No, there will not be a ZR1.

--RS

Nine Ball
06-07-2014, 06:07 AM
My BIG issue with the new Z is I can't decide whether to get the coupe or the vert, manual or auto. Seriously, what is not to like on the new Z??? A pulley, headers, and tune will get you 750 HP on 100 octane for less than $8K, I'd bet.

It won't be as easy as the CTS-V and ZR1, to add more boost. The C7Z06 only has a puny 1.7L TVS blower, already spun up to high rpm. The CTS-V had a 1.9L, and the ZR1 had a 2.3L blower. Both of those cars ran at very low blower rpm stock, with plenty of room to travel.

The new Z06 will be a beast for a factory vehicle, but that blower will become the handicap for those wanting high numbers without nitrous.

I wouldn't mind getting a vert, would be a fun car to park next to the Viper.

FLATOUT
06-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Yes, they're going to Nurburgring. No, not anytime soon. No, there will not be a ZR1.

--RS

Source for this information?

Schen
06-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Nyias.

--rs

FLATOUT
06-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Nyias.

--rs

I don't think multi billion dollar companies release their actual product line strategy to random photographers. Not being a jerk but all of that information is fluid and ever changing, doubt any of those comments made at the NYIAS are set in stone, and if they are GM is considerably less intelligent than we thought ;)

Schen
06-07-2014, 10:35 AM
They said they're going to the ring, it was even up on the wall behind the two cars at NYIAS. Chances are they've already been there. Believe what you want, most on the forums believe there is some kind of end all, be all bowtie waiting in the wings. That is HIGHLY doubtful. What you see now is as good as it gets for a while.

Besides GM doesn't just build ZR1 packages every year. Look at all the past ZR1 history. There was a C4 and a C6, no C5 and the current Z06 will top the C6 ZR1. That's their ace in the hand when it comes to performance. They've already started next Gen Vette stuff.

--RS

donk_316
06-07-2014, 12:00 PM
They said they're going to the ring, it was even up on the wall behind the two cars at NYIAS. Chances are they've already been there.

Once GM does run this Z06 at the ring. Everyone will know. There are guys who sit out there waiting to take spy pics of whatever is lapping. Ofcourse if their laptime was a record beater then everyone would know as GM wouldn't keep it a secret.

Granger73
06-07-2014, 01:37 PM
:United_States:How about kudos to president Obama? This car was developed under his administration. Not.

Policy Limits
06-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Will it use the same General Motors parts that killed all of those Americans in those other vehicles? Even if it doesn't would you purchase a GM vehicle after knowing what happened?

Big Miata
06-07-2014, 05:09 PM
No need for a ZR1 now. I wont buy another vette unless it is a C2 or older. Why would I want to be driving a car that is a compromise when I have a Viper in my garage. Leave this car for those who love a performance bargain (in the used market) and people that want an easy to drive fast car.

99RT10
06-07-2014, 07:27 PM
No need for a ZR1 now. I wont buy another vette unless it is a C2 or older. Why would I want to be driving a car that is a compromise when I have a Viper in my garage. Leave this car for those who love a performance bargain (in the used market) and people that want an easy to drive fast car.

Say what?! Really????

I am by far a cheerleader for GM but they hit this one out of the park. You will come up on a a new Z06 on the track or steet, and if you are still stock, will lose in every way possible except looks. This thing will kill on the track.

FLATOUT
06-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I never said they were going to build a ZR1, I said I highly doubt whatever info they were giving photographers was probably not the most reliable info. About the only constant thing in these HP wars is inconsistent information.

If they were already at the ring we would know, but I'm sure they'll take something there at some point.

I'm just saying take what they told you with a grain of salt ;)

They said they're going to the ring, it was even up on the wall behind the two cars at NYIAS. Chances are they've already been there. Believe what you want, most on the forums believe there is some kind of end all, be all bowtie waiting in the wings. That is HIGHLY doubtful. What you see now is as good as it gets for a while.

Besides GM doesn't just build ZR1 packages every year. Look at all the past ZR1 history. There was a C4 and a C6, no C5 and the current Z06 will top the C6 ZR1. That's their ace in the hand when it comes to performance. They've already started next Gen Vette stuff.

--RS

Mamba52
06-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Will it use the same General Motors parts that killed all of those Americans in those other vehicles? Even if it doesn't would you purchase a GM vehicle after knowing what happened?

I feel bad for the family's but don't forget you are driving around on Gen 3 Rear suspension parts. There just switched from left too right.

Boba Fett
06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Daayyyyyum. Nice car for sure. Not too many cars that can out-torque a Viper...
ZR1 does by 4

The Viper is still the best looking car there is
agreed

Its seems that every1 is so sure about the price of the new Z...How?

--RS

I get what you're saying but frankly, I don't believe much of what much of any of these manufacturers throw out there...

SWEEN
06-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't know if there will be a ZR-1, but looks like chevy is working on another Vette. Obviously its just speculation but I'd guess autoblog is right that the name is for the vette. Maybe like it'll be placed inbetween the Stingray and z06? If there using the Vette's founders name could be a top of the line vette.. We will have to wait and see.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/10/chevy-corvette-zora-grand-sport-trademark/

ViperTony
06-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Say what?! Really????

I am by far not a cheerleader for GM but they hit this one out of the park. You will come up on a a new Z06 on the track or steet, and if you are still stock, will lose in every way possible except looks. This thing will kill on the track.

I think it's too early to tell if the GenV is going to be defeated by this Z06 especially with limited performance data at this point. Still, the numbers look good on paper. HP sells cars. I think that anyone who believes this new Z06 is going to be a lazy dog is kidding themselves. Looking forward to the real-world testing of this thing. I hope I can pull up next to one and find out what it can do. Considering the number of vettes I see here every day that shouldn't be a problem.

It doesn't make me want to buy one. It can put out 700hp or more but it's another GM mass-produced Vette, not exclusive and though the looks have gotten better IMO it still looks like shit to me especially compared to the GenV.

Policy Limits
06-14-2014, 09:20 PM
i hope chevy sells a shit ton. Oh nice corvette you also have one? Me too.

Me too cars are boring.

yup.