PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Week is Here!!!

Joel
05-27-2014, 08:00 AM
Dragon Week is Finally Here!!! For all those driving, please be careful coming to Tennessee. Be especially careful while on the cruises on the Skyway and the Dragon and remember to use good judgment. We want everyone to have a great week and enjoy the Tail of the Dragon event safely and return home the same way. The Dragon experienced the first fatality of the year last week and the police will be exercising extra patrols to make sure folks behave. You aren't just alone out there; your actions will represent all Viper owners. See you all later this week for an awesome weekend of fun. THINK good weather!!!

Stretch
05-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Woohoo the Dragon week is here!!!!

Joel, I'm with you.

SAFETY FIRST

01sapphirebob
05-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Do we know what happened? I've said it before, I'm excited to run the dragon but at the same time nervous as hell.

XSTAR
05-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Do we know what happened? I've said it before, I'm excited to run the dragon but at the same time nervous as hell.

Sportbike vs. Car around mile Marker 10.8...not sure the entire details, but guessing someone didn't stay in their lane. I live 45min from the Dragon and while it's easy to see why it's a dangerous road, most all incidents are related to people riding/driving well above their limits. Respect the road, and you will be fine. 3 years ago I lowsided my Yamaha sportbike as I got too comfortable after about 4 runs. I ran up on a fast group, who let me pass assumning I wanted to go faster, not wanting to let them down I pushed on harder and 2 Miles later I was in the gravel and just luckly I laid it down where there was some run off.

Honestly, I've found the ride to be just as fun at a well managed pace vs. trying to be a hero. Remember, if you cross the yellow line...you are endangering another life.

Safe travels this week, I look foward to joining the fun Friday and perhaps Saturday.

PatrickB
05-27-2014, 10:57 AM
First time I'll be running the Dragon...Since there will be more advanced drivers than myself, do I need to hang at the back of the pack, or does that all get worked out naturally once we get on the Dragon?

01sapphirebob
05-27-2014, 12:12 PM
First time I'll be running the Dragon...Since there will be more advanced drivers than myself, do I need to hang at the back of the pack, or does that all get worked out naturally once we get on the Dragon?

From what i understand there are two groups. The "insane" group and the slow group. My first time as well so definately running with the slow group. However...ive been tomd that depending on traffic it could be quite the slow trip. The biggest thing ive been told is just drive within your limits. Dont go any faster yhen you are comfortanle with. Dont let people pressure you to go faster then you are comfortable with. Thats what i plan to do. :)

Brian GTS
05-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Whew! Can't wait! I don't know what I like better, the Dragon / Skyway, or seeing 75+ snakes from all generations at once.....freakin awesome!

uvbnbit
05-27-2014, 12:30 PM
8 years of hosting this event and only a few mishaps. By those driving in a way they shouldn't. Watch for the bikes too. There are places to pull over if you feel you're being pushed. No reason to panic. Its a state Hwy Occasional troopers too. They're probably aware of this thread too. Lol. It'll be a great weekend. It ALWAYS is.
Let's ROCK!

No hemi
05-27-2014, 01:39 PM
So looking forward to it, the " rttlsnk" is ready for some curves!!!

C.J
05-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Need to borrow Norm's plate for the weekend "AKA SLOW". :)

Bmw2nv2000
05-27-2014, 09:06 PM
IMO the skyway is more risky than the dragon. Even in the slow group we were regularly running 80-120 mph carving up some very curvy mountain roads. I LOVED IT!!!

Last year was my first year and while I was nervous I was amazed at how easy my Moton equipped ACR handled all those insane curves not matter how hard I hit them. Thank god I have another moton equipped ACR again this year =)

Stretch
05-28-2014, 07:25 AM
I was in the slow group, I never touched 120 on the Skyway. Still had fun.

Joel
05-28-2014, 09:45 AM
I think anyone who gets caught at 80 to 120 on the Skyway will be spending several nights in jail. I'm with you, plenty of fun to be had at lesser speeds and I'll be last in line with the slow group.

I was in the slow group, I never touched 120 on the Skyway. Still had fun.

uvbnbit
05-28-2014, 11:09 AM
You'll both be in front of moi :stickmen_burningsti

C.J
05-28-2014, 11:15 AM
In NC, reckless is kinda vague...not sure about TN. It looks like it would depend on the officer's interpretation of someone's driving:

§ 20-140. Reckless driving.

(a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving.

(b) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property shall be guilty of reckless driving.

Kevan
05-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Even in the slow group we were regularly running 80-120 mph carving up some very curvy mountain roads. FALSE

There are generally (3) groups:

1. The INSANE Group. Unless you're related to Michael Schumacher or Walter Röhrl, DO NOT hang out with this group. These guys MOVE. If you dare go with them, make sure your bowels and bladder are empty.
2. The Quick Group. There may be some quick nips of the throttle, but this group won't hit triple digits at any time during the weekend. This is the largest group.
3. Picture Takers. Speed limit (or under) is the general rule here. These folks are more about enjoying the fantastic scenery in their Vipers than trying to clear carbon from the exhaust. :)

If you are wondering who's in what group and/or who to follow, talk to Joel, Stretch, or me.
We'll gladly get you into the group you want to cruise with.

REMEMBER: This is not a competition. There are no trophies or medals or grid girls.
This is about having a great time on the best roads in the U.S. with your friends.

DEADEYE
05-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Well, we got one ticket already! Landis got 62 in a 30! They're out in force this time. Stay cool guys.

99RT10
05-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Local or a trooper? What town? I might have some insight. Been there, got that.

XSTAR
05-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Can't wait for the photographers to capture the convoy!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/10601545766_fe54f2b4a5_z.jpg

99RT10
05-28-2014, 08:33 PM
FALSE

There are generally (3) groups:

1. The INSANE Group. Unless you're related to Michael Schumacher or Walter Röhrl, DO NOT hang out with this group. These guys MOVE. If you dare go with them, make sure your bowels and bladder are empty.
2. The Quick Group. There may be some quick nips of the throttle, but this group won't hit triple digits at any time during the weekend. This is the largest group.
3. Picture Takers. Speed limit (or under) is the general rule here. These folks are more about enjoying the fantastic scenery in their Vipers than trying to clear carbon from the exhaust. :)

If you are wondering who's in what group and/or who to follow, talk to Joel, Stretch, or me.
We'll gladly get you into the group you want to cruise with.

REMEMBER: This is not a competition. There are no trophies or medals or grid girls.
This is about having a great time on the best roads in the U.S. with your friends.

Hey Kevan, which group should I be in?????????????? Just follow you I guess..........................:D

TowDawg
05-28-2014, 09:54 PM

With the fatality last week, theres sure to be a lot cops up there this weekend. Us "insane" guys might need to dial it down a notch, and not just on the Dragon. We might need to keep it under 140 on the cut-through to town. And something tells me you won't be drag racing through that little town this year. lol
I do want to thank you again for that though. Since there are only two cops in that town and you had both of them with you, Matt and I had a blast the rest of the way through town. :)

Bmw2nv2000
05-28-2014, 10:55 PM
Maybe i wasnt in the slow group but i know my speedo was kicking 80 alot and saw the speedo past 100 a couple times. And i was well in the back of the line playing follow the leader. So i guess my speedo was broken. Go figure

Kevan
05-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Hey Kevan, which group should I be in?????????????? Just follow you I guess..........................:D
Heh heh.
This is a fine example of the INSANE Group.
In other words folks, DO NOT follow this guy. :)

Maybe i wasnt in the slow group but i know my speedo was kicking 80 alot and saw the speedo past 100 a couple times. And i was well in the back of the line playing follow the leader. So i guess my speedo was broken. Go figure
BMW2nv2000- if you were in triple digits, you were with the INSANE Group.
"Back of the pack" with them doesn't count as part of the slow group.
That's like being the slowest SR-71. :D :D :D

Viper67wife
05-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Kevan - you're going to stick us in the middle of the pack so we don't beat everyone back to the hotel again, aren't you?????
:dude3:
Diane

TowDawg
05-29-2014, 06:05 AM
80-100 on the Skyway isn't going all that fast. If he was in the back of any of the groups there could have been the accordion effect and some higher speed playing catch-up. When you're busting into triple digits on the Dragon, you know you've joined the elite group of crazies. :)

uvbnbit
05-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Just a reminder to those meeting in Kville at exit 373 cracker barrel Fri morn. We'll be gathering in the Parking lot (large one on left as you pull in) 7:30-8am, and planning on pulling out around 9am. SO, if you plan on eating at CB, take this into consideration. We are going a different, more direct, less traffic light route this year. Be fueled up ready to ROCK.

-chip

Bmw2nv2000
05-29-2014, 06:44 AM
The accordion affect to catch up is exactly what was going on i think. God i hope im never nuts enough to hit triple digits on the dragon!!! My trip started out crappy. I spent a couple hours on i40 broke down with a right front flat :(

Bmw2nv2000
05-29-2014, 06:46 AM
I cant wait Chip! Ill be there early to eat with yall. As long as all 4 tires stay round lol

HLANDIS
05-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Blount county sheriff, on the dragon.
Any help would be greatly appreciated😜😜👍👍.