PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot SX, MXX3

Fatboy 18
05-13-2014, 03:08 PM
Just got a deal on a brand new rear tire 335 x 30 x 18

Anyone used these on a Viper? According to the Michelin website these are their top range performance Supercar tire?

FrgMstr
05-13-2014, 04:05 PM
I was looking and saw they don't sell these in North America, then saw your location. You will probably have to tell us how it turns out.

Anonymous
05-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Hey Fatboy ,that was you on Wheeler Dealers?

JonB ~ PartsRack
05-13-2014, 04:45 PM
CAUTION!!! This was OEM tire on 1996-1998 Vipers.

I believe these were discontinued in 1999 or 2000. If these were USA-DOT Tires they would be 14-15 YEARS OLD or older.

If you search the old site, PartsRack closed them out for $99 each.

Also..... if you place "ONE NEW TIRE" at the rear, especially an old-hard one, you are creating a "Stagger" to cause the car to pull/turn to the low side under accel and/or braking.

CAUTION!!!

Fatboy 18
05-13-2014, 05:02 PM
hey fatboy ,that was you on wheeler dealers?yes :D

Fatboy 18
05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
CAUTION!!! This was OEM tire on 1996-1998 Vipers.

I believe these were discontinued in 1999 or 2000. If these were USA-DOT Tires they would be 14-15 YEARS OLD or older.

If you search the old site, PartsRack closed them out for $99 each.

Also..... if you place "ONE NEW TIRE" at the rear, especially an old-hard one, you are creating a "Stagger" to cause the car to pull/turn to the low side under accel and/or braking.

CAUTION!!!Thanks Jon, the tire has a DOT stamp on it but I can't work out the date code
I fitted a Brand new Pilot sport 1 rear tire on the car last weekend, its only 13 years old :D

I fully understand about old rubber, handling etc, but I hate the thought of not using these tires, especially when they cost so much over here in Europe.

I've got some Supercar demo runs to perform soon, the perfect place to wear out the tyres and please the crowds :D

There's no way I will be using these tires on Track at Le mans, I have another set of wheels and good Pilot Sport 2s for that event ;)

JonB ~ PartsRack
05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Geeez, Fatboy!

..... you have a 13+ year old directional PS1 (1999-2003) on one side rear; and a 15+ year old non-directional MXX3 the other. They handle, flex, corner and brake quite differently. Plus the traction differentials! Ask anyone who remembers getting their first PS1s after MXX3s. You have a Race-Car-Stiff Chassis, and the corners react differently!

Then you have (2 unknown) fronts that could corner and brake even more differently.

If you are on track, you are 100% attentive.....better able to adapt and cope. if you are street-driving you are 20%-90% attentive, and can have to "Go Evasive" without warning. Your tires will react differently in an emergency. Your hands and feet will write cheques that your tyres cannot cash.

BE CAREFUL MY FRIEND, (and Valued Customer) One common denominator of organ-donor Vipers sitting upside down in junkyards: Mismatched Tyres.

Some 'Rules of Thumb'
DO NOT MIX or mis-match:-Directional with non-directional
-Assymetrical with symetrical
-Runflat with Non Runflat

Fatboy 18
05-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Point taken, Thank you ;)