PDA

View Full Version : Parts Rack - Custom Viper Shocks - Made by Eagle

jmbaileyniu
05-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Well, the time has come for me to replace my shocks. My 2003 drives like a boat and the suspension isn't as crisp as it used to be. I am looking at the Eagle Shocks and adding new springs to them from Parts Rack.
They are $1000 for the shocks and another $250 for the springs.

Any opinions? I'm on somewhat of a budget and can't currently swing 5-6k on new shocks/springs.

1. Have you had any experience with these Eagle shocks or have you heard anything about them?
2. What spring rate should I go with? OEM or custom rate?
3. Are they hard to install?

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/viper-suspension/viper-suspension-gen3-gen4/custom-shocks

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Redx
05-10-2014, 03:20 PM
For that price point i'd look at the BC coils IMO. these eagles dont have a very good reputation!

slitherv10
05-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Well, the time has come for me to replace my shocks. My 2003 drives like a boat and the suspension isn't as crisp as it used to be. I am looking at the Eagle Shocks and adding new springs to them from Parts Rack.
They are $1000 for the shocks and another $250 for the springs.

Any opinions? I'm on somewhat of a budget and can't currently swing 5-6k on new shocks/springs.

1. Have you had any experience with these Eagle shocks or have you heard anything about them?
2. What spring rate should I go with? OEM or custom rate?
3. Are they hard to install?

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/viper-suspension/viper-suspension-gen3-gen4/custom-shocks

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Ive got the Aldan American Eagle 754's on my 96 GTS. I am roughly about 3.5 inches from the ground when measured from the ground to the front splitter. I have been in some deep dips in the road and never touched once. My splitter( from Autoform) is flawless underneath.

Lots of stories about them leaking or riding like a boat. I don't find that. if adjusted properly they work great. They do carry a life time guarantee as long as you own the car and have proof of purchase. Peace of mind there.

They are priced right and look great. All aluminum. I vouch for them for sure. Many who make neg. comments never even It had them on their car. just what they hear. I have them and their great. I am sure there are better but, lots more dineros for something you won't use. Unless your tracking or a very spirited driver around turns, I would say your more than fine with these. It like getting 6 piston Baer or stopteck brakes when you drive like an old lady. Don't need them, save the money.

St.Char
05-11-2014, 08:19 PM
For that price point i'd look at the BC coils IMO. these eagles dont have a very good reputation!

+1 Couple of friends are running these and I'm looking forward in trying them. Around $1200.00 Plus they are manually adjustable.

XSnake
05-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Do not buy Aldans

No hemi
05-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I will subscribe to this thread, I'm interested in new shocks for my 2006 and have thought about these or BC's too, maybe Jon B can chime in.

J TNT
05-11-2014, 09:17 PM
MCS with rebound adjustment only I believe are about 3 k , you can also upgrade down the road to fully adjustable if you wish. Talk to Mark from Woodhouse , he's great to deal with and is very knowledgeable :)

jmbaileyniu
05-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Sounds like I might be going in the BC direction. Any opinions on those? I drive on the street and maybe track it a few times throughout the year.

Viper Girl
05-17-2014, 08:40 PM
I would talk to JonB about what his Eagles are really like...

I remember that Dan Cragin didn't think too highly of the BC coilovers... something about the rebound not being enough for a Gen III... and also once they got hot, stock was better performance... I didn't have BC's on my Gen III, but I remember hearing about them... I'm not sure if the product was changed since then...

call JonB on Tuesday... or email on monday... LOL

JonB ~ PartsRack
05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
SHOCKING DISCUSSION !
Sorry, I was away at Watkins Glen pacing NARRA, SCCA, Aston Martin, Radical, and more...... tons of fun for me. I had the W.G. TRD-Camry, and a BMW 328i AWD X-drive....... The Viper fell thru, but no problem.....

The short answer: THE YEAR MATTERS!!!! Aldans are USA-made, and LIFETIME WARRANTEE, which they honor without fail. On a Gen 2 Viper with a few HPDE days, the Aldan Eagles would win the "Best Value" award, and would likley need a free rebuild in 3-4 seasons if you really pound them. (Labor is on you.)

On the SRT is another matter, due to suspension geometry, both Dan and I dont 'like' Eagles or BCs unless strictly for budget / street use. You would be using the "Free" warrantee every year or two on SRT10, especially if you lowered to the max. We have SRT10 KWs in stock, a PREMIER-brand, not a secondary-brand, fully assembled, bolt-up EZ, at $2995 DELIVERED USA !!!

Drummerviper
05-20-2014, 04:55 PM
SHOCKING DISCUSSION !Sorry, I was away at Watkins Glen pacing NARRA, SCCA, Aston Martin, Radical, and more...... tons of fun for me. I had the W.G. TRD-Camry, and a BMW 328i AWD X-drive....... The Viper fell thru, but no problem..... The short answer: THE YEAR MATTERS!!!! Aldans are USA-made, and LIFETIME WARRANTEE, which they honor without fail. On a Gen 2 Viper with a few HPDE days, the Aldan Eagles would win the "Best Value" award, and would likley need a free rebuild in 3-4 seasons if you really pound them. (Labor is on you.)On the SRT is another matter, due to suspension geometry, both Dan and I dont 'like' Eagles or BCs unless strictly for budget / street use. You woukld be using the "Free" warrantee every year or two on SRT10, especuially if you lowered to the max.We have SRT10 KWs in stock, a PREMIER-brand, not a secondary-brand, fully assembled, bolt-up EZ, at $2995 DELIVERED USA !!!

Learning at the feet of the Master has returned. This is the kind of stuff we were spoiled with for years. Good to see it back.

slitherv10
05-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Like I said in an earlier [post. My 96 has the Aldan 754's on it and they have never failed , leaked or let me bottom out yet. I hav hit some huge dips in the road and my front splitter (Autoform) sits 3.25 inches off the ground. Not one scrape on it in almost 3 years of somewhat spirited street driving and one track event..
As far as I am concerned, you would be fooling yourself if you spent the extra dollars on the other brands if your just street driving and or just want the look. Its like getting 6 piston Baer or Brembo brakes for a chevette. If you don't need the extra this and that, why pay for it. They are lifetime warranty and as JonB stated above, they replace with no fuss.
Its your money in the end of course but, these eagles are great for spirited street driving and best bang for your buck hands done.

Most of the complaints are from folks that drive their car on tracks, drags, and very hard. If that's not you, I wouldn't worry.

Get the Aldans