PDA

View Full Version : AZ Caravan to NEV-1 Detroit - Planning Discussion

WhiteSnake
05-07-2014, 01:00 AM
As of 5/6/13 the AZ Region has 24 people going to the NVE-1 Homecoming in July. We have a mix of those driving, flying, shipping their Viper and renting cars in Detroit. So let the route planning discussion, pit stops and one night hotel stands begin! It will be an awesome event that will be fun for all who can attend.

ITSQK
05-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Here is my first pass:

Monday, July 14th to Moriarty, New Mexico (513 miles lose 1 hour). Best Western or Comfort Inn for lodging. Arby's or The Buford for dinner.

Tuesday, July 15th to the east side of Oklahoma City (520 miles lose 1 hour). Comfort Inn, Days Inn or Sleep Inn for lodging. IHOP or Cracker Barrel for dinner.

Wednesday, July 16th to Effingham Illinois (585 miles no time change). Country Inns, Lexington Inn or Hampton Inn for lodging. Cracker Barrel, Steak & Shake, Ruby Tuesday or Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner.

Thursday, July 17th to Dayton (260 miles lose 1 hour). Block of rooms set aside at the Drury Hotel. Dinner with other Viper owners location and time TBD.

Again this is my first pass. Todd has a little different route but about the same mileage. The big difference is the travel time the last day. I still would like to get in Dayton mid-afternoon. That way we can meet some of the other owners and hit the sack early after dinner. Leaving Friday at 6:30 am or earlier is going to make for a very long day on Friday (drive, CAAP tour, prefix tour and a walking dinner at the Chrysler Museum). I'm not complaining, I just want to be well rested for the party after driving four days.

If we decide on all or some of this proposal I can provide exact locations and phone numbers.

Mike

WhiteSnake
05-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Leadfoot,
Input on your thoughts from the other thread: I have traveled route 54 from Tucumcari, NM up through Liberal, KS to Wichita, KS then to KC many times to visit grandchildren. You do not want to take a caravan of 10 vipers that way. It is mainly 2 lane roads through many small towns with speed limits of 35 mph with maximums of 65. The scenery is all flat farming and smelly cattle feed lots. Not much to look at hour after hour. The highways can be clogged with local farm equipment traffic and slow grain hauling tractor trailers. Not many places to pass. Some 3 lane highway segments until you get to Wichita. At Wichita you can pick up the KS turnpike to KC. A longer scenic route is to take I-25 north from Albuquerque, NM to Colorado Springs. However, after Colorado Springs I-70 is all flat farmland to KC. Just some input about those routes. Used to live in Wichita, KS so know the area well.

LeadfootRT10
05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I don't care....all i hear is two old men whining about the youths.

It's all boring flat land between NM/Texas state line and St. Louis anyways. However, i would not want to get trapped on 2 lane roads with farm equipment. I was trying to find something better than a straight blast down I40.

Also, I've heard from other members that they are unable to leave until Tuesday morning.....so I don't know what to do.

ITSQK
05-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Nothing says we need one caravan. We may have 2 or 3 different ones from Arizona leaving on different days. Whatever floats your boat. When we went to Charlotte I left a day early while some others left the next day. We were all happy.

WhiteSnake
05-08-2014, 12:24 AM
I don't care....all i hear is two old men whining about the youths.

It's all boring flat land between NM/Texas state line and St. Louis anyways. However, i would not want to get trapped on 2 lane roads with farm equipment. I was trying to find something better than a straight blast down I40.

Also, I've heard from other members that they are unable to leave until Tuesday morning.....so I don't know what to do.

I hear you about all the flat land but there aren't many options heading East from Flagstaff. If you get off the interstates then you can probably find some enjoyable roads then you need a lot more time to get there and you need to know where you are going. It all depends how much time you want to spend on the road. Even the interstates in Ill, IN, western Ohio and southern MI are pretty flat. I've driven from Phx to Philly the past couple of years and will be again in a couple of weeks. I know I-40 and I-70 quite well. It all depends how fast or slow you want to get there and back.
If we have a group going Tues that's ok. I figured we would have more than one group due to work schedules. Are there any details on the Tues group? I want to be able to tell all our members who is going and when so they can make a choice that best fits their schedules. I also want to notify some other Regions when our groups are leaving Phx, Send me a PM so I have an idea how the club will split up and if they are going to Dayton or directly to Auburn Hills.

By the way, us old guys, have decided to get some tats and wear a pony tail so you young panty waists don't feel left out.

maeham
05-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Leaving Tuesday am for Amarillo, stopping in St. Louis on Wednesday, don't know if going to Chicago or Dayton with Ohio Club. Will decide when time gets closer. Only thing for sure this old man is living his youth.

Running 10 over most of the time. :police-car-004: At times waiting for you young ones to catch up. :monkeyleft:

WhiteSnake
05-08-2014, 02:28 AM
Welcome maeham! Glad to see you here. Thanks for your travel itinerary. Is any one else driving with you or are you flying solo. I know MA is flying. I think you are missing a "zero" after the "10" over if you are going to make St. L on Wed. :) If the young ones drove as fast as their jaws flap they might hit the double nickel before their knuckles turn white!

Speedy G
05-08-2014, 07:24 PM
i want to drive and if i do i will run with the old guy maeham!! i think going through the rockies is fun but in know eddie likes to get to Amarillo by morning!

WhiteSnake
05-08-2014, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Speedy G;52923]i want to drive and if i do i will run with the old guy maeham!! i think going through the rockies is fun but in know eddie likes to get to Amarillo by morning![/QUOTE
Eddie will get you there the quickest but run with a "detector".
I-25 from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs is a beautiful drive through the mountains. However heading east from CO Springs is all flat farmland until inyo MO. Definitely not the fastest route but the prettiest for part of the way.

LeadfootRT10
05-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Ok, so the group that is leaving on Tuesday will leave Phoenix at 8AM headed for Amarillo, TX, a total of 700 miles. Wednesday will take us from Amarillo to St.Louis, MO a distance of about 750 miles. Thursday will take us from St. Louis to Chicago, IL with a distance of 300 miles. At speeds in the neighborhood of ** MPH that should put our driving time around 8 to 9 hours, with the last day only requiring 4 hours which should get us into Chicago in time to have a deep dish for lunch. Of course all of that is barring any significant delays. When exactly we leave Chicago is a bit up for debate at the moment as the Illinois club hasn't confirmed if their plan has them leaving Thursday evening or Friday morning....more on that when it's available.

Currently there are 3 of us taking this route with a possible 4th. If we don't have anymore join us, i'm not going to bother making arrangements with hotels or restaurants since there isn't much incentive for a business to make special arrangements for groups less than 5. We'll just fly the seat of our pants and when we see something we like, we'll stop.

If you'd like to join us please feel free to respond here, via the forum or email myself at tkbentley1984@gmail.com.

WhiteSnake
05-10-2014, 02:10 AM
LF, You might want to find out the Ill club plans so that you guys don't miss them. I agree with you that a small group should be able to find hotels without a problem. The challenges occur when you have large groups of people hitting a hotel or restaurant all at once. Sent you a PM.

Vprbite
05-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Maeham has a history of getting pulled over on the way to full club viper gatherings. He has a tradition to uphold. He said those Sheriffs were really nice there in Utah, especially considering Kelly was in the front at what I call "Bracelet Speeds." :o I wish I had been there. I haven't had a good "talking to" from a LEO in a while. Have fun guys. Sorry I can't make this one but I will be thinking about you all!

GABOON
05-16-2014, 02:23 PM
ok, who is planning on leaving on monday? i like the idea of cruising 5-600miles a day-- enjoy the trip more.

ITSQK
05-16-2014, 03:50 PM
ok, who is planning on leaving on monday? i like the idea of cruising 5-600miles a day-- enjoy the trip more.

I'll be leaving on Monday. So far two of us. Let me know is you have some interest in going with us. Check post number 2 for details. We will be going to Dayton. Who knows maybe some SoCal members will join us.

GABOON
05-16-2014, 07:54 PM
yep i run with you! guess we could hook up at flagstaff? let me know when to meet, i will go with the plan. if need be you can contact me at gshep@cableone.net. thanks for info... looking forward to adventure!!!

Vprbite
05-20-2014, 08:21 PM
You guys are badass. 500 miles per day is rad. Gonna get lots of looks on the freeway and at gas stops. Stock up on matchbox Vipers to give out to kids along the way, or pretty girls. I have given them to both.

Hey by the way, I have a couple of really high quality walkie talkies that I use on fishin trips if you would like to borrow them. Couple mile range, small, easy to use. Might be helpful for communicating between front and back of a crew. Plus if other clubs have them, which I assume they will, you can get on the same frequency for staying in contact.

Just a thought, let me know and I am glad to loan em to ya.

ITSQK
05-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Actually we are pretty we're smart. We will get many looks especially at gas stops. Going to Charlotte our average gas stop was 15 minutes because of the lookers. One thing for sure at 500 miles a day we will be well rested for the 3 day NVE. Thanks for the walkie talkie offer but I have Midlands that I plan on using. Are you sure you don't want to come with us?

Vprbite
05-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Actually we are pretty we're smart. We will get many looks especially at gas stops. Going to Charlotte our average gas stop was 15 minutes because of the lookers. One thing for sure at 500 miles a day we will be well rested for the 3 day NVE. Thanks for the walkie talkie offer but I have Midlands that I plan on using. Are you sure you don't want to come with us?

Want to? Absofrigginlutely. Can I? Not so much.

As you may guess, these last few years have been INCREDIBLY expensive for me. Even with great insurance. I mean I have really amazing insurance. But...my care is at 1.2 million dollars at this point. So unfortunately, a lot of my fun money has been burned up for healthcare. And there is always just something else that keeps popping up. Copays on...meds, therapy, Dr Visits, it adds up so fast. So going on the trip right now is just a little out of reach. I could take money from retirement/investment type funds, but that is fiscally irresponsible. It would take a lot of the fun out of the trip knowing I was mortgaging my future for it. And that is a slippery slope I don't want to start going down. I am sure you all can understand. Don't get me wrong, I am doing ok, just certain things need to take a backseat, I.E. the reason my car doesn't have headers and exhaust yet.

Sorry for the bum-out post. It's just not in the cards right now. I am flattered you guys want me to come along. You guys are awesome and I love hanging out with my Viper crew. I mean, look how hard I worked to get back in one ASAP. You guys rock. Emily and I can't wait to hear all about it. :dude3:

Vprbite
05-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Leadfoot, do you want to borrow the walkies? Anyone here is welcome, just let me know. Communication is important when driving together. I got them so when I take newbies out on real backcountry type trips, I can talk to them about where we are going and how to actually use their 4x4s finally.

LeadfootRT10
05-22-2014, 12:31 PM
OFFICIAL ROUTE ANNOUNCEMENT: The group that is leaving on Tuesday morning will have the following route

Day 1
-Start: Tuesday, July 15th at 6:00 AM Location: JR's Convience Store at the corner of McDowell and Beeline Highway(aka AZ87) It's the only building at the intersection, you can't miss it. They are a Shell fuel station. We will take AZ87 North to Winslow.

-Flying J fuel stop on Transcon Ln in Winslow. This is also exit 255 on the I40. We should hit Winslow/I40 around 8:30. For those coming from Northern AZ or from SoCal this would be the best place to meet us.

-From there it is a straight shot along I40 into Amarillo. There are two ideal possibilities for hotels there. If we have more than 5 cars going, i'll worry about reservations, otherwise not.

Day 2
-Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart by 6:30 along I40 to Oklahoma City

-3.5-4 hours to Oklahoma City, where we'll switch to I44 into St. Louis.

-7.5-8 hours to St. Louis, where we'll switch to I70 to Indianapolis. We'll find a hotel on the Illinois side of the Mississippi river that night.

Day 3
-Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart the hotel at 8AM.

-Continue along I70 into Indianapolis, approximately 4 hours.

-Potential stop at the Brickyard, we're looking into potentially doing the museum tour there.

-Continue along I70 to I75 to Dayton, approximately 2 hrs time.

-Arrival time in Dayton will depend on the length of the stop at the Brickyard.

-Information on the hotel in Dayton can be found here: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/3505-NVE-1-Caravan-to-CAAP-Hotel-Room-Block-Dayton-to-Detroit?highlight=CAAP
I understand they have a block of rooms reserved for VOA members, I DO NOT know if there are still some available. I will try to make reservations for myself later today and report back.
UPDATE:I was able to secure a hotel room via the link provided on the forums. I doubt i got the last room(i'm not that lucky)but i wouldn't delay any longer than necessary.

If there are any questions feel free to post here or email tkbentley1984@gmail.com Thanks guys!

LeadfootRT10
05-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Leadfoot, do you want to borrow the walkies? Anyone here is welcome, just let me know. Communication is important when driving together. I got them so when I take newbies out on real backcountry type trips, I can talk to them about where we are going and how to actually use their 4x4s finally.

Right now I'm traveling in a group of 3, possibly 4 cars. I don't think the walkies will be necessary in such a small group. But i appreciate the offer. If something changes and i need them i'll give you a call.

WhiteSnake
05-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Leadfoot, Thanks for posting your groups itinerary. Great detail. I will be leaving on Monday with one other car (Rich) as we need to get to Indy on Wed to pick up wives at airport. Exact schedule and planned stops have not been determined at this time. I haven't heard what group Goot plans on hooking up with. Have you? Thanks for the update.

OFFICIAL ROUTE ANNOUNCEMENT: The group that is leaving on Tuesday morning will have the following route

Day 1
-Start: Tuesday, July 15th at 6:00 AM Location: JR's Convience Store at the corner of McDowell and Beeline Highway(aka AZ87) It's the only building at the intersection, you can't miss it. They are a Shell fuel station. We will take AZ87 North to Winslow.

-Flying J fuel stop on Transcon Ln in Winslow. This is also exit 255 on the I40. We should hit Winslow/I40 around 8:30. For those coming from Northern AZ or from SoCal this would be the best place to meet us.

-From there it is a straight shot along I40 into Amarillo. There are two ideal possibilities for hotels there. If we have more than 5 cars going, i'll worry about reservations, otherwise not.

Day 2
-Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart by 6:30 along I40 to Oklahoma City

-3.5-4 hours to Oklahoma City, where we'll switch to I44 into St. Louis.

-7.5-8 hours to St. Louis, where we'll switch to I70 to Indianapolis. We'll find a hotel on the Illinois side of the Mississippi river that night.

Day 3
-Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart the hotel at 8AM.

-Continue along I70 into Indianapolis, approximately 4 hours.

-Potential stop at the Brickyard, we're looking into potentially doing the museum tour there.

-Continue along I70 to I75 to Dayton, approximately 2 hrs time.

-Arrival time in Dayton will depend on the length of the stop at the Brickyard.

-Information on the hotel in Dayton can be found here: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/3505-NVE-1-Caravan-to-CAAP-Hotel-Room-Block-Dayton-to-Detroit?highlight=CAAP
I understand they have a block of rooms reserved for VOA members, I DO NOT know if there are still some available. I will try to make reservations for myself later today and report back.
UPDATE:I was able to secure a hotel room via the link provided on the forums. I doubt i got the last room(i'm not that lucky)but i wouldn't delay any longer than necessary.

If there are any questions feel free to post here or email tkbentley1984@gmail.com Thanks guys!

LeadfootRT10
05-24-2014, 03:41 AM
WhiteSnake, I have not heard from Goot. Goot will likely join whichever group he chooses in Albuquerque as it's a shorter trip for him than going thru Phoenix. I think everybody is accounted for except for him and Vince/Vi....but don't they have a place in Wisconsin or Minnesota and only winter down here in Phoenix? They'll already be in that region of the country if i'm correct. Other than that, everyone is accounted for.

Since we'll all be in Indianapolis on Wednesday maybe we can work the timing out between group A, group B, group C, the wive's flight arrangements and we can possibly hook up in Indy. Either you can join us if we manage to get access to the Brickyard or we can find an alternate meeting location and make the drive into Dayton together. We'll play that by ear for now.

Let the countdown begin....52 days til launch.

GABOON
05-24-2014, 08:03 AM
leadfoot, vince and vi are running with us 500 milers--- we leave monday 7/14; seeing that you are most active here in forum how about setting up a group contact list so all of us can keep in touch--- so we know when you are passing the rest of us! figure you will hook up with us on 7/16; and what about my 4x4 instruction? come on up to my place and we can roll in the jepknez right out my backyard.... are the lessons free?

gfviperman
05-24-2014, 10:49 AM
You definitely want to eat the the Big Texan in Amarillo ... on the east side of town ... easy exit out.

They have a hotel there .. cheap and it looks it. But kinda cool.

Viper Clubs have stayed there before and survived.

There is also a new Fairfield just down the road next to a new Buffalo Wild Wings ... Flying J across the street.

WhiteSnake
05-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks gfviperman. Several of us stayed there on the way back from Charlotte 2 years ago. Rooms were clean and decorated in western themes. One member, Goot, took the 72 oz. steak challenge. He couldn't get the last 11 oz. down within the 60 minute time limit. :)

daytonprowler
05-24-2014, 12:43 PM
We stopped at the Big Texan on my Route 66 trip in my Prowler a few years ago.

I decided on some "take out". LOL

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/Prowler2001/IMG_2181.jpg

LeadfootRT10
05-24-2014, 04:30 PM
leadfoot, vince and vi are running with us 500 milers--- we leave monday 7/14; seeing that you are most active here in forum how about setting up a group contact list so all of us can keep in touch--- so we know when you are passing the rest of us! figure you will hook up with us on 7/16; and what about my 4x4 instruction? come on up to my place and we can roll in the jepknez right out my backyard.... are the lessons free?

WhiteSnake has all the contact for everybody involved already. I will leave it to him to put out a list via email as some might not appreciate having their phone number posted to the internet. We will all be passing thru Indianapolis on the Thursday of that week. The timing will probably be all over the place by hopefully we can find a meeting place and travel from Indy to Dayton as one big group.

Don't worry, i'll come up and we'll hang out soon enough.

Thanks gfviperman for the tips! we'll check it out when we get there.

Speedy G
05-24-2014, 06:26 PM
i can't wait to pass all the slooooooooooow people!:dude3:

Vprbite
05-25-2014, 12:52 AM

If I am stayin with you then yes the lessons are free. Don't worry, as I thoroughly plan on taking you up on your offer to stay. I will bring the truck and the viper. Just so you know I am not kidding. This is how I get to my favorite fishing spot in my daily driver. I am lookin forward to it!

GABOON
05-26-2014, 08:29 AM
i don't really need 4x4 lessons--- been off-roading for many years. for years i always had dodge 4x4's but then one day i traded a harley for a toyota fj40 land cruiser. i call it JEPKNEZ(looks like a jeep, made in japan-- thus the name) i have restored it to excellent shape and mechanically it is better than new!! do not engage 4x4 very often as it goes anywhere i point it in 2 wheel drive; so i have a 4x4 ready to go anytime. speaking of trucks, i know of a great deal on a SRT-10 truck; if you know of anyone interested contact me. also, i still thinking what car to roll on NVE-1 trip; guess whitesnake is right that the 93 would best suit the event but i worry about being passed by so the 99 gts would surely not be passed!! what you think?

Vprbite
05-26-2014, 06:22 PM
There is just something about those Gen I vipers. Just something. And it definitely fits the event. If you have one I think that's pretty cool and probably a real conversation starter at this event. I LOVE the GTS, which is why I had one, but to have an original, the one that started it all, and the chance to drive it back to Detroit is a once in a lifetime event I couldn't pass up. I wouldn't worry about being passed. Unless you get the chance to take the cars past 150, it's all fairly even. 60 to 140 you should hang with the newer gens pretty good. I say take the original.

WhiteSnake
05-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Leadfoot,
You are correct. I will provide cell phone contact info to those going to Detroit. We will want to be able to stay in touch with each other while in Detroit and on the road. The contact list will go out in a private e-mail when we get closer to leaving.

[QUOTE=LeadfootRT10;56052]WhiteSnake has all the contact for everybody involved already. I will leave it to him to put out a list via email as some might not appreciate having their phone number posted to the internet. We will all be passing thru Indianapolis on the Wednesday of that week. The timing will probably be all over the place by hopefully we can find a meeting place and travel from Indy to Dayton as one big group.

GABOON
05-27-2014, 08:43 AM
There is just something about those Gen I vipers. Just something. And it definitely fits the event. If you have one I think that's pretty cool and probably a real conversation starter at this event. I LOVE the GTS, which is why I had one, but to have an original, the one that started it all, and the chance to drive it back to Detroit is a once in a lifetime event I couldn't pass up. I wouldn't worry about being passed. Unless you get the chance to take the cars past 150, it's all fairly even. 60 to 140 you should hang with the newer gens pretty good. I say take the original.

yep, i guess i really don't want to run milage up (8600miles) but i will cruise in the 93... even my neighbors have stated they love the 93 more than 99 gts; just installed a double bubble top(auto form) now fitting the window inserts. got to get a/c working again-- i just installed new head gaskets so i will bring the 93; it is a kid pleaser.. they all say its just like their hot wheels. lead foot will enjoy me in the 93-- OLD MAN IN OLD CAR

LeadfootRT10
05-27-2014, 01:04 PM
So back to the topic at hand....we will all be in the area of Indianapolis on Thursday. I think we should make an effort to meet up and drive the last 2 hours into Dayton together. The tuesday group will probably arrive latest around noon that day. I think we should plan on meeting and Indianapolis Motor Speedway. We can do the museum tour and grab lunch together. Then make the 2 hours to Dayton in the afternoon.

And i think the 99 GTS is way more badass then the 93, GABOON. In black with the airbrushed flames plus the supercharger? oh definitely go with the 99, wouldn't want to blend in!!!

Launch:48 days

GABOON
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
your funny; vote has been held and the 93 is best for event---- anyway, it would make us zonies more complete as for all generations of snakes we show up with... time to break 93 engine in!!! nonetheless, we are going to have a blast--- i will bring the past! the 99 would be fun but i do believe can keep up with the 93; old guys say bring the antenna.

Vprbite
05-27-2014, 05:53 PM
The Gen I will always be special to anyone who loves vipers. Sure the Gen IV ACR is a track monster and Gen V gives you the creature comforts but if you love Vipers, ya gotta love that Gen I. I wouldn't worry about the mileage. 8700 now, 12,xxx when the event is over. Petty negligible in terms of resale/auction value I would say. Also, take some photos of it at the assembly plant and that would make a nice addition to the car if you ever were to sell it. Maybe you can get a panel (one that can be easily swapped out until resale or car show time) signed by Herb or Dick Winkles, or Ralph. That kinda stuff ups the cool factor big time IMO. I don't know how easy it is to pull off the center console panel or the glove box door one those Gens but that would be a great one to get signed in silver sharpie. Or call Jon B and see if you can get one to bring along just for signatures. Or a valve cover or air filter box perhaps. I think that would just be so damn cool.

GABOON
05-28-2014, 09:53 AM
good idea, got extra glove box door-- had to replace original one cause lady friend thought latch was sticky(?) so she grad a can of wd-40; was carb cleaner so paint was messed up a little. will clean up, paint, and bring it along. ok, i bring the 93-- just installed a auto form double-bubble hardtop and wonder if i should leave it home and go with factory rag top? RT's pretty windy running down the road so i nicknamed it windburn-- i could get a mask at harley shop and then i wouldn't get windburned. on 4 corners trip i had serious face windburn. i love cruising topless so i will endure. i guess i should roll with factory setup as its all new and would be best to show up with car as it came from factory, right? thanks for your feedback.

LeadfootRT10
05-28-2014, 01:06 PM
good idea, got extra glove box door-- had to replace original one cause lady friend thought latch was sticky(?) so she grad a can of wd-40; was carb cleaner so paint was messed up a little. will clean up, paint, and bring it along. ok, i bring the 93-- just installed a auto form double-bubble hardtop and wonder if i should leave it home and go with factory rag top? RT's pretty windy running down the road so i nicknamed it windburn-- i could get a mask at harley shop and then i wouldn't get windburned. on 4 corners trip i had serious face windburn. i love cruising topless so i will endure. i guess i should roll with factory setup as its all new and would be best to show up with car as it came from factory, right? thanks for your feedback.

Bring your hard top. 2000 miles of windburn in 3 days will be torture. and then another 2000 miles on the way back. I'm running with my hard top. If the forecast is good for the weekend, i will take the top off and leave it in the hotel room in Auburn hills. If it's going to be a nasty weekend weather wise, i would prefer the hardtop as it seals better than my rag top.

GABOON
05-28-2014, 04:25 PM
10-4; maybe we can go topless together!! i have never used ragtop on road. the auto form double bubble top gives the car a different look; like maybe the car ate a bunch of steroids... around here all love the car with hardtop.when i ordered it i did not know what to expect but i am so pleased with the top. think it was a good move getting it. as for weather, i see we all are running right thru tornado alley-- maybe we should have a plan for that; just in case!!

Vprbite
05-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Windburn problem solved

http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-Lightweight-Skull-Face-VNG008/dp/B001AWLTX4

GABOON
05-28-2014, 08:21 PM
yep, getting one in day or two; found a variety of them but have to check out what they got at Grand Canyon H/D up in Belmont. heard they have one of a kind up there so i will check it out. lead foot's idea is best overall but i do like the idea of cruising with mask cause nobody see it's a old man driving!!! also, got glove box door stuff working-- could not id paint on 93 dash so i have local auto paint supplier mixing up batch to match paint.

LeadfootRT10
05-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Windburn problem solved

http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-Lightweight-Skull-Face-VNG008/dp/B001AWLTX4

I have two of those....and they are titties....love the look on people's faces.

WhiteSnake
05-28-2014, 11:11 PM
VB, Gabby, LF,
You guys have been in the sun too long. Why don't you get the full Balaclava ( http://www.amazon.com/ZANheadgear-Coolmax-Extreme-Balaclava-Skull/dp/B0028VTIUM/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_48_K7GP?ie=UTF8&refRID=09QDH6JRW3QW2R5SQF6S ), M/C Goggles, gloves and a scarf too. And one of these (http://www.amazon.com/German-Helmets-Motorcycle-Helmet-Black/dp/B00076FM00/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_6_42JB?ie=UTF8&refRID=09QDH6JRW3QW2R5SQF6S)

Vprbite
05-28-2014, 11:28 PM
yep, getting one in day or two; found a variety of them but have to check out what they got at Grand Canyon H/D up in Belmont. heard they have one of a kind up there so i will check it out. lead foot's idea is best overall but i do like the idea of cruising with mask cause nobody see it's a old man driving!!! also, got glove box door stuff working-- could not id paint on 93 dash so i have local auto paint supplier mixing up batch to match paint.

Mask protects you from photo radar tickets as well. Yeah get the gloves too. No offense guys, I have never been a huge fan of the hard top on the RT10. They never seem to fit right to me, always look a little like an afterthought. Maybe it's the brand of top that I have seen but I would bring the soft top and wear the skull face and gloves.

Speedy G
05-28-2014, 11:49 PM
i drove 99% of the way to Detroit and back with the top down, it poured in the rockies so i finally had to put it up, i put head phones in and a beanie on to help with the wind in the ear, i will prob do the same thing this time if i get to drive

greg I'm going to find the guy with his gen one coming home from voi in salt lake city, you might get a kick out of it!

LeadfootRT10
05-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Mask protects you from photo radar tickets as well. Yeah get the gloves too. No offense guys, I have never been a huge fan of the hard top on the RT10. They never seem to fit right to me, always look a little like an afterthought. Maybe it's the brand of top that I have seen but I would bring the soft top and wear the skull face and gloves.

Technically the hard tops ARE an afterthought since they weren't part of the original concept and design/development and weren't available from the factory until several years after production began. They still look better than the rag top, at least in my opinion or maybe just on my car and they fit better too.....that being said there is still a quarter sized gap in the moldings where the doors meet the roof with the hard top on. :eek:

I am seriously considering that helmet....how amusing it would be....

Vprbite
05-29-2014, 02:16 AM
Skull mask, helmet, and goggles would be so effin money. Tempting enough to make me want to buy an RT or a Vert and I have always been a coupe guy. Imagine the looks. Especially with the gloves too. I bet the mechanics gloves would be most comfy, as they are made to be worn all day. Or the ones that are allow you to manipulate phones/tablets while wearing. It's a once in a lifetime event. I say go all out with it. You don't want to get back and say, "man I really should have gone full goofball with the skull mask and helmet." Plus, no photo tickets. It almost seems like you can't afford not to do it.

Vprbite
05-29-2014, 02:36 AM
Technically the hard tops ARE an afterthought since they weren't part of the original concept and design/development and weren't available from the factory until several years after production began....

I like the look of the Lemke 3 piece top but as I understand it, good luck finding one. They seemed to have the best fit and finish though and I liked the sleekness. You said you have a bit of a gap, maybe they fixed that issue with the new top that borrows some Gen V lines.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads/334-Re-Designed-Autoform-Hardtop-For-Gen-I-and-Gen-II

I would think the wind noise on a gap would be irritating. Of course on the plus side, it eliminates all rattles and squeaks. Occasionally our cars are known to get a rattle or squeak from time to time apparently. What do you RT guys do when you bring the hard top but don't use it? Pack lightly?

GABOON
05-29-2014, 04:18 AM
ok-- got a lot of shopping to do, so many great idea's!!! lead foot, love your titties (L.O.L). Vprbite-- i may just do it, go all out and even take the squirrel tail off the antenna and fly a snakeskin. have you seen the double-bubble top by autoform? it looks like gts roof-- tell you it is a very nice top and it fits excellent. gloves i got; some for snow, some for wrenching, even a pair for fishing marlin--and a pair for driving snakes. got a few helmets too! as for tops looking tacky, last year i was on the big island of Hawaii looking at homes up by Waimea and wow-- a yellow r/t with flower stripes goes flying by me; their top was 2 longboards. followed to check the snake out and its 2 dolls(stuffed the bikini's fine) those tops looked excellent!!! noticed the seats were in great shape too!!! whitesnake, i got a wet suit that would go with that Balaclava nicely; just was out on deck and over Sedona way the glow from fire is noticeable even though there is thick cloud cover-- maybe rain in couple hours. speedy G-- did you use sunscreen and lip balm? oh yeah, all you dressing me up suggestions are great but i am surprised nobody suggested a nuns habit-- better than a hoodie in detroit; and with lead foots mask i would be stylin!!!

Speedy G
05-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Greg
i was looking for a pic from when we were coming back from voi 11 in salt lake city, one of the socal guys drove his gen one there and back, he did not take a top because he wanted to run with out a top and if he wanted to take clothes and stuff he wouldn't be able to take the top in the trunk, so he left the top at home, well.... it poured while we were in utah and he had no top! the was pics were on the socal website and i found them, but for some reason the pics are scrambled..

chris
the guy that was in the seabees

GABOON
05-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Speedy G
i will run with the new auto form double bubble top so won't worry about rain; as Leadfoot said if weather is good once we arrive in Auburn Hills the top can be removed and leave in room-- that will work for me too. car looks A-plus with top! at present i am working on a/c, think i have some o-rings to deal with. i think the a/c should be performing excellent soon- i hope! you heard anything about return trip? what are your plans?

Speedy G
05-30-2014, 10:58 AM
im not even sure i will get to drive, I'm planing on it, but with all the work i have i might not be able to take all that time off, so I'm hoping to drive up there and if i can't drive back i will leave my car with inlaws in Mi, if i get to drive back I'm not sure on return plan yet, i like driving the rockies so i would like to go that way back, i know eddie wants to make a couple stops to say hi to friends on the way back to....... so the long answer..... i don't know yet, you?

GABOON
05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
i intend to follow somebody back--- i have no schedule, job so i can just cruise. yeah, i was thinking about staying north on way back and have a adventure. maybe I-70 to Denver then I-25 to I-40; would like to stop in Colorado Springs and eat some GOOD b-b-q! of course i have to stop in Santa Fe for some taco's too! i would like to spend some time there-- always enjoy the plaza downtown. just got home from cruising downtown Prescott and saw a bright green srt i think-- never seen it before; by time i got turned around to chase i couldn't find the snake-- big 150 year celebration this week-end in Prescott so it was a zoo!! i did wave at the couple in the snake and they waved back. so i had to come home but taking 93 for ride now, going snake hunting and catch a few cold beers now.. anybody know of green srt up this way?

LeadfootRT10
05-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Speedy G, certainly there are those that are going to take their time coming back. You know Maeham is taking his time and that i'll probably go with him. But i'm sure there will be people that want to drive straight back. Hopefully some of them will chime in and you can make plans to travel back with them. I know we were planning on sharing hotel rooms to conserve some cash, but it may be worth it to travel separately on the way back if you want to hustle your return and keep your car with you.

Gaboon, run with Maeham and i on the ride back. We're going to go thru Chicago to Omaha, thru Wichita then Denver and then Salt lake city and then head south to Flagstaff. We're gonna see some sights and you'll have to try the rocky mountain oysters!

Speedy G
05-30-2014, 05:32 PM
if i get to drive back i will head back with todd and eddie and it would be cool to have greg too! I'm always up for saving money as it will cost about 800 or so in gas each way!

WhiteSnake
05-30-2014, 07:53 PM
We haven't planned our return route yet. Have to get the wives back to the Indy airport on the Monday after Homecoming. You guys that plan to sleep together to "save" money remember to take your pink nighties! :)

GABOON
05-30-2014, 10:15 PM
sounds great, i won't be in a hurry to get back but rollin with friends is way to go; i did them oysters--- ate 3 plates before i found out what i was chomping on, i enjoyed them!! i think i drank a bunch of beer after i was told they weren't fresh water oysters. figure on hi way 89 after Salt lake? great road! hey, can we stop someplace for oil change too? speedy g-- now i am for sure taking the 93 cause it does real good on gas at hi way speed, the 99 loves gas and boost juice; cost a lot more for trip in that ride!! whitesnake-- you can run with us and put wife's on the bus, sound good to you? just a idea! don't quote me though- please!

Speedy G
06-01-2014, 11:59 AM
if you stay out of the gas you should be fine with the supper charger! but i know its hard, and if you run with me and eddie it could be harder! but as my drive to D in 08 i drove the whole way in 6th and got 22 mpg.

GABOON
06-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Speedy G---- yeah, but the 99 car got a go fast attitude so i still think the 93 is choice for run:went for run this a.m., just off idle i was plus 23mpg-- about 80mph. whitesnake, vprbite think 93 will best fit theme of NVE-1-- arizona will have every generation rollin to detroit; we will look good when we arrive! anyway, i could always draft you fast guys and keep up! right? tell you there are lots of cross-country truckers on I-40 so they pass each other everywhere and we will be slowing often! have you heard anything from other regions heading east? what groups from where meeting who where? sure wish our group was all rollin together!! i am going to miss not packing together with AZ. group all the way-- so much fun when we roll together!!!

WhiteSnake
06-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Hi Gab,
I agree it would be great if we all could run together. However, there are so many variables with everyones schedule's for this long of a trip. Maybe some of the groups will be able to run together for parts of the trip.

LeadfootRT10
06-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Hi Gab,
I agree it would be great if we all could run together. However, there are so many variables with everyones schedule's for this long of a trip. Maybe some of the groups will be able to run together for parts of the trip.

Based on what's been talked about, and as near as i can figure, we'll all be in Indy by Thursday around noon. I say we meet up at the Speedway, do the museum tour and then finish the drive to Dayton together as a group. We'd arrive with plenty of time for dinner.

At any rate, Maeham, Speed G, and i will be going to the Speedway when we get into Indianapolis to do the tour and check out the legend. Everybody is welcome to join or not.

GABOON
06-02-2014, 06:45 PM
hi, all looking good? you see the brickyard stop idea? checking trip and we could hook up with the go fast dudes there--- working on a/c in 93 car, got to get it working otherwise i will roll with GABOON-- the relays in 93 have been discontinued and i know the cooling fan relay is bad so i installed a ROE system that fixed that relay problem. got shop looking at a/c thursday so i will know then whats up. i looked on-line for relays for weeks and could not score anything-- if i have to do new relays i got some wiring to do! i do not want to mess up original wiring so i am hunting down relays from salvage-- nothing yet.

WhiteSnake
06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
GAB,
There is a large Viper salvage dealer in Minn (??) by the name of Scharf Dodge (??) or something like that. I don't know if they advertised in the recent VOA Viper Mag. but they used to advertise in the older mags. There is a picture of a warehouse of Viper parts and pieces. I'm in Philly and don't have access to my old magazines. One of the older guys like Mike or Eddie might be able to find the ad for the contact info. Good luck on finding the relay.

ITSQK
06-02-2014, 09:13 PM
GAB,
There is a large Viper salvage dealer in Minn (??) by the name of Scharf Dodge (??) or something like that. I don't know if they advertised in the recent VOA Viper Mag. but they used to advertise in the older mags. There is a picture of a warehouse of Viper parts and pieces. I'm in Philly and don't have access to my old magazines. One of the older guys like Mike or Eddie might be able to find the ad for the contact info. Good luck on finding the relay.

Don Scharf Automotive @ 800-338-4022 or www.donscharfautomotive.com

WhiteSnake
06-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Don Scharf Automotive @ 800-338-4022 or www.donscharfautomotive.com
Thanks It could be Quicker. :) I knew one of you old guys would step up with the info. :)

ITSQK
06-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Just signed for the sequel to " Quick and The Dead". It's titled "Quick, Old and Slow":drive:

WhiteSnake
06-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Only in Blue and Red Vipers. :)

Speedy G
06-02-2014, 11:58 PM
its in Wisconsin i got to go hang out there last year!!!!

GABOON
06-03-2014, 08:33 AM
just got off phone with todd at don scharf and sounds like they may have relays-- waiting for more info. thanks for all your responses!!

WhiteSnake
06-03-2014, 08:12 PM
its in Wisconsin i got to go hang out there last year!!!!

That's a lot of wrecked Vipers in one place!!

LeadfootRT10
06-03-2014, 11:01 PM

I shed a tear at that pic....

LeadfootRT10
06-04-2014, 01:02 AM
So there was a series of emails about AZ club shirts for this event. What ever happened to those? Perhaps we should meet for dinner on Saturday the 12th to have some good conversation and hand them out. Lest somebody has to lug everybody's shirt in their car all the way to Detroit.....that's a good way to free up space in a trunk.

Vprbite
06-04-2014, 04:53 AM

Why is everyone looking at me? I didn't do it.

WhiteSnake
06-04-2014, 09:43 AM
So there was a series of emails about AZ club shirts for this event. What ever happened to those? Perhaps we should meet for dinner on Saturday the 12th to have some good conversation and hand them out. Lest somebody has to lug everybody's shirt in their car all the way to Detroit.....that's a good way to free up space in a trunk.
LF, the custom shirts have been ordered. They are being made in Illinois. Debbie will be picking them up and hauling them to Detroit. Saving shipping cost. Planning to hand them out sometime Sat and wear them to the Sat night dinner criuse on the Detroit river. Would have liked to give shirts out before we all left for Detroit but we were really concerned about the necessary lead time to get them to Phx.

LeadfootRT10
06-04-2014, 11:44 AM
LF, the custom shirts have been ordered. They are being made in Illinois. Debbie will be picking them up and hauling them to Detroit. Saving shipping cost. Planning to hand them out sometime Sat and wear them to the Sat night dinner criuse on the Detroit river. Would have liked to give shirts out before we all left for Detroit but we were really concerned about the necessary lead time to get them to Phx.

That's not a problem, it was just a suggestion. It was more out of curiosity. I can certainly understand lead times in the run up to a deadline. At least Debbie will only have to drive a few hours with them in her car over one of us driving for 3 days.

And VprBite, the looks were split between you and Fast Freddie.

GABOON
06-05-2014, 10:43 AM
what color are the shirts? insulated? got the 93 a/c working and now i got to deal with frostbite.. one problem after another--- right?

WhiteSnake
06-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Gab. We want the color and graphics are to be a surprise. They are not insulated and will be short sleve so we can wear them in our Phx temperatures.

GABOON
06-05-2014, 02:33 PM
OH! DAMN? only asked cause i want my shorts to match when i get the short sleeve what color shirt... and i will wear it to phx too. No Problem!

WhiteSnake
06-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Yours will be pink. :)

LeadfootRT10
06-05-2014, 03:23 PM
OH! DAMN? only asked cause i want my shorts to match when i get the short sleeve what color shirt... and i will wear it to phx too. No Problem!

Khaki works for most colors, so does denim.....bring one pair of each and you're guaranteed to have a decent combo.

WhiteSnake
06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Khaki works for most colors, so does denim.....bring one pair of each and you're guaranteed to have a decent combo.
^^^^^^^^^^^ Good strategy.

Vprbite
06-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Is the Viper club talking about which outfits will look best? Are you guys gonna get together to do your makeup together too, ya nancys? If the vette forum guys see this we will never hear then end of it.

Vprbite
06-07-2014, 01:14 AM
And Leadfoot, as to your comment, my lawyer has advised me not to discuss wrecked vipers in any state, lower 48 or otherwise. We would have to go to a non-extradition country to discuss such matters. Antigua is gorgeous though.

LeadfootRT10
06-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Officially received confirmation of my time off request. Nothing like two weeks paid vacation to do what i love!!!!

35 Days till Launch.....

GABOON
06-09-2014, 03:53 PM
that's cool; good to go--- so you got time for that pizza now! Take the long way home? great you got vacation cause some of us don't get that anymore! nve-1 huh? see you soon.... khaki shorts? those Hawaiian? got those so i good to go too!

ITSQK
06-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Leadfoot do you have any info on the Indy Speedway tour. I may have some interest. Assuming Gregg and Vince may have also. We're getting close:smileys-car-driving

LeadfootRT10
06-14-2014, 01:37 PM
The museum is open from 10-4 every day except thanksgiving and christmas. Outside of the standard tour they offer all guests, we have no more info. Maeham has an contact that might be able to get us special access(not track time) but so far there has been no news. Worst case scenario, we all enjoy an hour or two at the museum which is worth the stop for me.

30 Days to Launch

ITSQK
06-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Keep us posted. May very well fit with our schedule.

LeadfootRT10
06-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Due to a medical situation, Eddie's contact at Indy hasn't been available. At this point, we plan to do the museum which is just $5 entrance fee. Eddie's contact may still come thru but we don't want to delay plans until the last minute. I think it would be really great if we could meet up at Indy as a club, enjoy touring the museum for a couple hours and then make the cruise into Dayton together.

Again, i checked the timing and estimate the last group(me, eddie, chris) will arrive in Indianapolis before noon on Thursday, depending on when we leave St. Louis that morning. Mike/Vince/Greg should get there mid-morning, and Barry/Rich will already be in Indianapolis as they are picking up the wives the day before. It should be easy for everyone to make the track by noon Thursday.

Launch in 15 days...

LeadfootRT10
07-07-2014, 12:53 PM
One week and counting.....

ITSQK
07-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Tick,tick,tick,tick,tick,tick............. Guess I'd better wash the Viper.:smileys-car-driving

WhiteSnake
07-08-2014, 12:25 AM
It will be an awesome trip and a memorable event for all who can make it. Washed my snake over a week ago and I'm ready to roll! :)

GABOON
07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
so whitesnake--- how goes it? word has it that you may run with us group 1(the 500 milers or so gang) cool if you do! so i am washed and packed; ready to roll!!! i will roll in the gts because the i don't want to roll mileage up on the antenna snake--- it is so nice i don't want to hurt it!!!!! anyway, hope to see you monday--- lets roll!

Vprbite
07-10-2014, 03:25 PM
No Gen I? I thought Rollin the Gen I was pretty badass. Obviously you gotta make your own decision as to what is best but I thought rolling there in a Gen I is like riding a Hard Tail to sturgis. Few people have what it takes.

WhiteSnake
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=GABOON;64652]so whitesnake--- how goes it? word has it that you may run with us group 1(the 500 milers or so gang) cool if you do! so i am washed and packed; ready to roll!!! i will roll in the gts because the i don't want to roll mileage up on the antenna snake--- it is so nice i don't want to hurt it!!!!! anyway, hope to see you monday--- lets roll![/QUOTE

Hi Gab, yes Rich and I are going to travel with you guys to Albuquerque. However, we will continuing on to Tucumcari for the night. Goot plans on meeting us in Tucumcari and then traveling the next day with us to Springfield, MO. I understand why you dont want a drive the antenna snake. The GTS will still be a lot of fun and will turn heads when people wonder what's under the hood. Eddie's group will leave Tues and stop the first night in Amarillo, TX. See you next Monday!

LeadfootRT10
07-10-2014, 11:48 PM
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/cool-summer-pattern-july-20140709

Looks like we're in for a potentially cold weekend....at least by our standards. Weather patterns that caused record lows during the past winter are being repeated thanks to the tsunami hitting japan and knocking the jetstream all out of whack. Overnight lows could dip into the 40's. So pack some warmer gear!!!!

WhiteSnake
07-10-2014, 11:59 PM
LF, Thanks for the weather advisory. Definitely need to take some warm gear as Auburn Hills is about 30 mi north of Detroit and it will definitely be cooler especially at night. Also the Dinner Cruise will be cooler on the water at night. A jacket would be advisable to take along. Used to live there years ago and the moist air can get down right chilly.

Speedy G
07-11-2014, 02:53 PM
ya in the summer there it is cool at night so long sleeves are a good thing for that and mosquitos!

WhiteSnake
07-11-2014, 05:32 PM
ya in the summer there it is cool at night so long sleeves are a good thing for that and mosquitos!
Good point Speedy. I forgot about those pesky little ¥*&$&#£'s. :)

Vprbite
07-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Pure DEET is the way to go in my opinion. None of that sissy stuff with moisturizer in it. Go nuclear on those bloodsucking bastards. Interesting fact...in Mosquitos it is the females that bite and suck blood. It is a trait they share with humans in that it is the female of the species that sucks the life out of living things. Of course any of the women reading this are clearly the exceptions.

WhiteSnake
07-11-2014, 10:45 PM
You better hope that Emily doesn't read this thread or that Signed carbon fiber engine cover is going to be where the sun don't shine!

Vprbite
07-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Frame and all that would really hurt. I think I will get lucky and she won't read this. Even if she did, she is too smart and beautiful to get caught up in such a petty joke. She is much more intelligent than I am and thus will disregard it.

LeadfootRT10
07-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Now that I'm officially on vacation until the 28th, time to start packing!!!!! Gotta clean too, nobody likes to come home to a messy house. So much to do and so little time....

WhiteSnake
07-12-2014, 09:59 PM
LF, Your going to have an awesome vacation and one that will be very memorable. Drive safe and we will see you in Auburn Hills! Don't forget your camera.

Speedy G
07-13-2014, 02:40 PM

four of us mopped up at the last Detroit event!!

WhiteSnake
07-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Hey Speedy, is that you in the white suit with the blue sash? :)
Drive safely as you will be leading the baby of the group in his little blue Miata. :) See all of you in Detroit!

LeadfootRT10
07-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Hey Speedy, is that you in the white suit with the blue sash? :)
Drive safely as you will be leading the baby of the group in his little blue Miata. :) See all of you in Detroit!

Damn you old man.....this baby and his blue miata are gonna beat you to Detriot!!!!

Drive safe tomorrow gentleman, we'll see you in Dayton, if not Indianapolis.

GABOON
07-14-2014, 08:42 AM
you all have safe trip, enjoy! leaving now~ see you soon. out the door.........

Speedy G
07-14-2014, 10:23 AM
while I'm not in the suit, I am hard to see!! see you all in a few days

Vprbite
07-15-2014, 03:36 AM
I am hoping to get some updates from you lucky guys. Make sure and represent us out there. Show em us Arizona folk know how to party and how to drive.