PDA

View Full Version : 'Portable' top question for '96 RT10

cpurvis
11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I have a 'first viper' and it's a beautiful 96 RT10, white with the blue racing stripes. I have the factory hardtop but obviously you can't carry this top with you. Living in south Louisiana just about REQUIRES you to have a top of some sort so I have been looking for a something (maybe a soft top) that I could carry in the trunk ..... but have not had any luck. I also see that there is a trunktop (hard top) that is made for the car but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience on what my options are ? Thanks !

viperr
11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a 3 piece top (Lemke?) on my 99 RT-10 in addition to the factory hardtop and soft top. The 3 piece is nice because I can take the 2 side pieces and put them behind the driver and passenger seat in their vinyl cases. I am short enough to make this work. I put the middle piece in the trunk and it allows some luggage room too. You can also put all 3 pieces in the trunk very easily. I am not sure how much the new ones are, but they allow you to go out and have a back up plan if it rains when you are cruising. I am pretty sure that they make it for your 96.

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-04-2013, 03:54 PM
In case you were NOT aware, your 96 white/blu RT did come equipped with a collapsible, roll-up black canvas top and side-curtain windows. Do you have the windows?

Other than an OE Gen 1 soft top, or the Lemke /APE 3pc trunk-top, you wont have a take-along-spare top. You might want to invest $169 in a "Cockpit Cover" that essentially is 30% of a full car cover. It is small, fits in a pouch, and covers the windshield, mirrors, full cockpit, and full sport-bar/roll bar deck assy back to the forward edge of the trunk lid. Keeps out rain, leaves, bird poop, and prying eyes...keeps the seats cool on hot days. It can fit under/behind a seat when not in use.

I really like that "Lemans" color scheme, attributed to Bob Lutz's admiration and ownership of a Cunningham. It also appeared on the 98 GT-2, the 2005 Commem Editions Viper, Ram, Neon, and again on a couple models of VOI-Coupes. Classy Color.

cpurvis
11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks Jon... I was not aware of the collasible, roll-up top. I do have the windows and also have the full cockpit cover. Are there just not any of the 'soft-tops' around anymore (for that model year)? I guess I will need to look at the Lemke. It's just a bit overkill for the need.... Thanks again...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like that's what I will need to look at ... Thanks for the response !