PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone from Newcastle

Dex
04-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Hi all,
Dave from Newcastle here :o
Just thought I would say hello, been around on pistonheads on a few threads on Vipers etc, and short version of my story Been vette owner for 14 yrs or so, currently got a 99 C5 Convertible, with a few mods, next car Is going to be my keeper for some time, so will hunt out a nice, low mileage one.. Was considering a C6 Z06 , then found out Vipers are same dimensions roughly, so if I can get a Z In the garage ( yet to try!) then this may do the trick, and has chucked a V10 spanner in the works

And as a current owner of a corvette know what getting parts, work done can be like, but trying to Weigh up cost differences as much as possible.. MPG not bothered, it’s a second car, and if that bothered me Why would I buy an 8ltr car!!
Its things like costs for some items below versus my current corvette I’m looking into to, and I believe some of you have had both?

> Insurance
> General service ( oils etc)
> Tyres
> Clutch replacement
> Brakes & disks

Anything else relevant really.. ??

I have a local guy who services the vette, and he’s great ( also makes custom exhausts which is a bonus !!)
Now going to ask if he’s interested in servicing etc.. he had an SRT10 truck in, and he seemed to be having loads of problems with It, and it was there for ages, trying to get parts etc for it… I don’t know the full story on it, may have been the owner Holding things up, it was a rebuild it looked like! So if he can do things that would be great for that side.. I do remember him Saying parts were and issue and expensive etc… but doubt he used club resources and contacts which obviously helps.. And a few guys have said lot of parts are normal prices, or not much more..

So I’m considering even to import if when I’m ready none are available here, my prefer is a convertible Gen 3 as I like the look of them (maybe a coupe… but still prefer the look of the vert) and keep fairly standard..

I may look to even import from US for right car ..but would need to do this through an agent, someone to check numbers / history etc independent check type of thing
And ship over, SVA etc
Or from Europe similar thing with checks if you can do this?? There seems to be one or two around in Italy, Spain, Germany etc

Will have a fairly strict budget to work too, think circa £30k or so…
bit of saving to be done ( underway)
sell my motorbike ( going on Saturday!)
then my car to shift…........ not sure when to do This really as I don’t really want to be without of a car at all to play with, but may have to do this in the end to be ready for next one

The plan to for final decision get a ride ( or drive) in....

C6 Z06 ( more or less sorted)
Viper (TBC) :dude3:
Shelby Mustang ( curve ball this, but sorted as well, and why not)

Also vette club has fair showing up in the NE of England,which has always been nice and very useful... I know Vipers are much rarer, are there any members up in the North End of country, or Scotland? Or I work in Cheshire during the week too..
Be great to get access to one, or I’m going to have to get to a gathering.. Which I will do anyway..

There is supposed to be a super charged yellow one up here apparently??? Been seen on some occasions ( maybe an urban myth!)

Thanks
Dave

Nine Ball
04-30-2014, 07:35 AM
Hello Dave,

I visit Newcastle 3-4 times a year, due to work (oil industry). Might be there late May again. Beautiful city, I really enjoy my visits.

Viper is a bit smaller than a Corvette, so garage should be fine. They are actually easier to work on compared to the C6Z06, especially anything drivetrain/transmission related. Vipers are simple to dismantle and put back together again, easier than any car I've owned. Even spark plug changes are wide open, without any clearance issues. Cars would probably be cheaper here in the USA, especially convertibles. The coupes hold their value better, as there are fewer of them built. You might try getting with a large dealership like Tomball Dodge (outskirts of Houston, TX) to locate and ship a car out of of the Port of Houston. Pretty common to see this, as it is the major import/export port down south.

Tony

Dex
04-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Great Tony.. Thanks a lot for that .. Much appreciated
I will look into that, I think there is some sales tax in certain states to consider? Not 100% but sure I've seen that..... And that's before we get smacked down here with HM tax bandits!! But that could be a good option, as the history should be ok from a good dealer, there are companies who collect from ports and ship...

Let me know when your next in Newcastle , if I'm around we might sneak in a beer!

Fatboy 18
05-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Hello Dave, only just seen this thread!

Dave our UK website tech Guru put together this service list a while back.
http://www.driveviper.co.uk/viper_service_info.html

My experience has only been related to Gen 1 and II Vipers, so I'm not really able to give you much advice on the later models.

I did import my car from the USA. I had never done anything like that before in my life, but with the help of Viper members both sides of the pond the whole experience was Awesome.

Tires are the biggest expense, If you go the import route and have a bit of spare cash I would grab a couple of extra sets of tyres to put in the container, (you will be glad you did).
I know the later gen cars were originally fitted with 19" wheels and run flat tyres, there was a lot of controversy over these tyres and many Viper owners changed them. The nick name was 'Run craps'

If you look on the UK Viper website there are a few of us who have imported our cars from the USA, we used a company called Kingstown Shipping who are part of the Towergate Group. If you contact the shipping company they are very helpful and will explain the whole process.

I found my car being sold privately in the Viper Club classifieds. After contacting the owner I asked if he would allow the car to be test driven and inspected. My car was in Northern California, so I contacted Some local Viper owners Via the forum to go and check the car over for me. The reports all came back fine and the owner was known to the club. Now this was a bonus but a UK member was nearby on Vacation and also offered to inspect the car for me, Dave sent me back many,many detailed pictures of the car, there was glitch, the car would not start due to having a flat battery. This was resolved when The owner then posted a video on YouTube of the car starting up from cold and a short clip of the car going up and down the street, I WAS HOOKED! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcoiMfwt6aY

I also Got a CarFax report on the car to check owners etc. Everything checked out fine so I sent my monies via a international bank transfer.
The owner of the car could not have been more helpful and to save me the costs of shipping the car from his home to the docks, he delivered it for me and then took detailed pictures of the condition of the car and the mileage recorded.

So that's my story :)

Another place that does good deals on tyres in the UK is Costco, they stock Michelin tyres and have 20% offers twice a year, they will not have the tyres in stock but you will be able to order them at the discounted price.

You will need to allow in your costing's (if you decide to import) MOT, DVLA registration (allocated number plate), IVA test (I think) Like an MOT but more detailed. Contact Viper Dave, he will be able to explain the in's and out's on this matter.

As for insurance, Many of us use Competition Car insurance biased in Milton Keynes. They recognise the VOA and give us a club discount.

Dex
05-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Hi fat boy!
Thanks a lot for that... Good idea asking forum guys to look at car!..

On run flats , I had some on my old vette wheels and when I changed them to new wheels I sold them on, when the guy checked them with tyres off they had lots of tiny cracks! Just years of pounding!!!

Great info.. Are there any gen 3 members north if country, Cheshire / Wales area or Scotland do you know?

Dex
05-08-2014, 02:12 PM
One more thing on parts this guy is off the vette forum, there's a dodge section...
Any use to anyone?
Rockauto

http://www.rockauto.co.uk/index.php

Fatboy 18
05-08-2014, 03:21 PM
One more thing on parts this guy is off the vette forum, there's a dodge section...
Any use to anyone?
Rockauto

http://www.rockauto.co.uk/index.phpseem to be some odd items there? I have never used them.

I get all my parts Direct from the USA, its easy, Just email Jonb Partsrack or Tators Garage for most of your Viper needs, I also use Mark at Ipsco for Billet products.

As for your other question on Gen 3 owners, there might be one or two in your direction but sadly I don't know of any. The nearest owner I can think of is in the Midlands. Bauer Millet in Manchester might know of something floating around so would be worth a call. (they may have sold one or two to those Football guys) :)

Dex
05-08-2014, 03:30 PM
seem to be some odd items there? I have never used them.

I get all my parts Direct from the USA, its easy, Just email Jonb Partsrack or Tators Garage for most of your Viper needs, I also use Mark at Ipsco for Billet products.

As for your other question on Gen 3 owners, there might be one or two in your direction but sadly I don't know of any. The nearest owner I can think of is in the Midlands. Bauer Millet in Manchester might know of something floating around so would be worth a call. (they may have sold one or two to those Football guys) :)

Will do, actually had a few chats with the MD there on vettes, he's on piston heads quite a bit, good idea.. I should have gone to view that yellow one in Mansfield ! Probably could have got a drive too!

Midlands might be ok for me, I work a few days in Nantwich in Cheshire , which is not a million miles away..

C.J
05-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi Dex, I've used Rock Auto before and they have been fine. No problems with orders or shipping.

Dex
05-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Hey CJ
Yes the vette guys over here seem to use him...

Fat boy : nice video mate! That's really cool of the guy

Fatboy 18
05-09-2014, 10:48 AM
The deal was done right there! :D

AZTVR
05-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Good idea asking forum guys to look at car!..

Also, unless you buy from one of the several highly respected dealers known here, it is a very good idea to get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by a known, good, Viper tech. There are quite a few around the country who have a solid history of skill, knowledge, integrity. When you locate a car, I suggest you post here to locate such a tech. The folks here know "the best." Buying a Viper in specific places around the country that have easy access to these guys would make it a very safe bet, IMHO.

Fatboy 18
05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
What I can tell you is since I purchased my car prices in the USA for these cars have GONE UP ;) Yet people in the UK are trying to force the prices down ;) Well, they can try ;)

Dex
05-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Also, unless you buy from one of the several highly respected dealers known here, it is a very good idea to get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) by a known, good, Viper tech. There are quite a few around the country who have a solid history of skill, knowledge, integrity. When you locate a car, I suggest you post here to locate such a tech. The folks here know "the best." Buying a Viper in specific places around the country that have easy access to these guys would make it a very safe bet, IMHO.

Thanks mate, wise words indeed..

Fat boy there are some good prices in Europe, which are tempting... Italy particularly.. They must go up again at some point.
Difficulty is finding a euro company for the cheques, and not sure how you'd safely purchase either ! Although some are in garage forecourts so legit businesses

8.4L 154
05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
We have a support crew page on our website with lots of links to companies that make owning a viper in the UK much easier, http://www.driveviper.co.uk/support_crew.html NONE of these company's have paid anything to be put on that page, they are there because someone in the club (mostly me loll) has used them and had good experience, but on that page you can buy your car, ship it, insure it, and get parts to fix it. Anyone in the club is welcome to and i would encourage them to let me know of other companies we can add. That page is our page not the vendors. On the other hand if one of them is giving problems let me know too, may not drop them based on one report (two sides to a story and all that) but if there is a theme then bye bye.

Ps any vendors wanting to offer us discounts etc are welcome to get in touch too, if your already on the page I can add the info, if not we will look into it and maybe add a sponsored section or see of someone will recommend you for promotion to the main listing.

8.4L 154
05-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Bruce has a Gen3 FE up north somewhere, he runs a fish restaurant somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester, Been there once on the NVR, but i just followed the viper in front and have no clue where we went. So if you like fish you could try them all and see if you can find one who's owner has a viper, Bruce however isn't an active club member unfortunately, but when i met him he seemed like a good bloke so I'm sure after a nice meal and a chat he'd at least let you gawk at it in the car park.

Dex
05-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Bruce has a Gen3 FE up north somewhere, he runs a fish restaurant somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester, Been there once on the NVR, but i just followed the viper in front and have no clue where we went. So if you like fish you could try them all and see if you can find one who's owner has a viper, Bruce however isn't an active club member unfortunately, but when i met him he seemed like a good bloke so I'm sure after a nice meal and a chat he'd at least let you gawk at it in the car park.

Thanks Dave... Sounds like a good challenge working through all the restaurants ! Ha ha..
I really dropped a bollock with that yellow one.. Should have taken the opportunity to go check it out !

MAMBA
05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi Dex

Believe it or not you were close about the supercharged viper, I am 2 miles from you! you might recognise this location, she's white though.

J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dysGAaufdb0

MAMBA
05-12-2014, 02:34 PM

MAMBA
05-12-2014, 02:37 PM

Fatboy 18
05-13-2014, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the VOA Forums MAMBA :)

Dex
05-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Mamba! Are you serious?
I can't believe it.. I need to come find you? :)

MAMBA
05-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi Dex
The video is my car going past Washington services with the wife in pursuit in a 500 bhp range rover, she didn't have a chance.
Am I right in saying your are in Jarrow next to the school?

Dex
05-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Ha ha yes recognised the location.....Well there's not a lot that would keep up to be fair!!

No I'm up next to the Newcastle racecourse ..

MAMBA
05-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Dex do you know about these local cruises?
http://www.northeaststreetrodclub.co.uk/when-where/
I will have the viper out next week once I get her MOTed.

MAMBA
05-13-2014, 02:41 PM
There's a red c5 just next to me in Jarrow, my business is in Pelaw I will drop you my number and you are welcome to pop over to see the viper.
I will be doing a couple of the local cruises soon, the A 19 diner looks fun it on tonight but I need to get her tested.

Jason

Dex
05-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi mate ,
I'm away quite a lot with work during the week, bit unpredictable my office is in Cheshire.
Gone to few metro centre meets now and again,
A19 diner is where the vette club meet as well..
Be good to see her!, weather is getting better too..
PMd you :)

Dex
05-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Red C5? Only 2 I know are Graham's and Allens burgundy one..

This is mine...

MAMBA
05-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Nice ride, I like the vetts, I get over to the states a couple of times a year and love the Z06 and ZR1s I would love a white one to go with the Viper.
The V8s sound the dogs... V10 has a very distinctive sound! Not as good as the v8 in my option.

Dex
05-13-2014, 03:10 PM
I know I actually agree with you.. I wish I could keep both as well ...But not an option realistically..
Mines got upgrade air intake , throttle body, then custom hand made racing exhaust, x pipe , sports cats etc.. It sounds amazing!
I was on for a Z06 next.. But like the look of convertibles, and as not a Z option.. Was thinking what else.. But viper is just
Rediculous and I love it!

Dex
05-19-2014, 02:15 PM
PM in bound Mamba :dude3:

Funny just been on piston heads again, just to give an idea how rare these cars are... There are more veyrons for sale than vipers!! How mad is that!

8.4L 154
05-19-2014, 04:25 PM
When was the last time you saw a viper posted on the supercar and rarities spotted thread.

To put it in perspective, in terms of gen4 ACR's as far as i know there are only two in the UK. Vipers of all gen's somewhere between 100-200 but we will never know for sure as the DVLA reports that float around occasionally don't reflect the real picture as many imports are simply registered as Dodge(USA) with no model info.

Fatboy 18
05-19-2014, 05:18 PM
I like that bit, its great fun at mot time when they try to find the car on the computer system for o2 levels :D

VIPER BAZ UK
05-21-2014, 12:58 PM
02 levels??? MOT in two weeks! !!!!!

MAMBA
05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Baz have you got a forged motor?

I am building one with ported heads but pistons and rods are bloody pricey.

Nine Ball
07-15-2014, 05:28 PM
I will be in Newcastle next week, from Jul 22-25. Anyone up for grabbing an evening beer? I usually hit Brew Dogs downtown, I like their beer and we don't have it here.

Tony