PDA

View Full Version : Best Go Pro settings for length of filming?

Late Apex
04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Last time I used the Go Pro Black 3 the battery did not last long, maybe 15 minutes. Battery was fully charged and I even have the extended pack. I think it may have been due to the 1080 setting? What are the best or proper settings that you have used to get the max length of filming? The current downloads were done too. Thanks

slowhatch
04-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Make sure the wifi is not enabled or it will drain quick (flashing blue light). Thats probably my only gripe with the go-pros, they are so useful, but have such a limited battery life.

And if you have pro-scan enabled, that will kill the battery like mad as well.

Late Apex
04-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Make sure the wifi is not enabled or it will drain quick (flashing blue light). Thats probably my only gripe with the go-pros, they are so useful, but have such a limited battery life.

And if you have pro-scan enabled, that will kill the battery like mad as well. Thanks so much for the reply and good info. Not sure what pro scan is but will make sure its disabled next time. Does the 64 card/disc help much over the 32 card?

The_Greg
04-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much for the reply and good info. Not sure what pro scan is but will make sure its disabled next time. Does the 64 card/disc help much over the 32 card?

When I was filming at 720p, 60 fps, it was a joke to be concerned about memory card size compared to battery size. But, that's the point of 1080, it takes up like 2x as much memory. Having said that, I would spring for the 64 gb if I had a GoPro capable of higher frame rates at higher resolutions (I only have a white edition).

You can also get longer lasting Wasabi batteries on Amazon.com for a great price, like two for $30 with a charger included. They have a higher mAh rating than even the regular GoPro batteries.

slowhatch
04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks so much for the reply and good info. Not sure what pro scan is but will make sure its disabled next time. Does the 64 card/disc help much over the 32 card?

No worries, and i actually mis-spoke its called pro-tune not pro-scan. Here is the explanation off of the go-pro website;

Protune enables you to get much higher quality throughout your post-production workflow. Basically, the main purpose of the ProTune software update is to help you get more dynamic images from your camera than you are currently getting today. We really wanted to meet requests from members of our professional community.

Basically, its an advanced capture mode to help get neutral tone balance and make color editing easier in the post-processing stages for advanced users. I would akin it to shooting in RAW mode on a DSLR vs JPEG. Personally, its beyond my scope so i never use it, and i have heard from those who give it a whirl that it vastly depletes battery life.

Oh and in regards to SD cards, the important thing is to look for read/write speeds on the card, rather than just by memory size. Not all 32GB/64GB cards are created equal, and stay away from cheapies!! Buy real SD's from SANDISK or the like. You will have less memory corruption issues, abysmal read/write times, etc, as can be seen with some knockoffs using cheap flash storage. I know amazon sells the good Sandisk cards for reasonable money. Personally, i think 64GB is overkill as the battery will die far before you can fill it. I'd stick with 32GB. (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Frustration-Free-Packaging--SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A/dp/B009QZH6JS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1398887072&sr=8-4&keywords=sandisk)

As greg said, the wasabi's are great value;

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-AHDBT-201-AHDBT-301-AHDBT-302/dp/B00AAIPT76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398887236&sr=8-1&keywords=go+pro+3+extended+battery

Late Apex
05-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks guys as this great info should help a lot.

slitherv10
05-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Last time I used the Go Pro Black 3 the battery did not last long, maybe 15 minutes. Battery was fully charged and I even have the extended pack. I think it may have been due to the 1080 setting? What are the best or proper settings that you have used to get the max length of filming? The current downloads were done too. Thanks

On a side note,

how do you find the Go Pro Black 3 as far as night vision is concerned ? I am sure the daytime clarity is excellent as most are but its the night vision that tells the tale between whats average and whats good.

Late Apex
05-04-2014, 07:58 AM
On a side note,

how do you find the Go Pro Black 3 as far as night vision is concerned ? I am sure the daytime clarity is excellent as most are but its the night vision that tells the tale between whats average and whats good. I have not tried it at night so far and have not seen any videos posted taken at night. Good question.