PDA

View Full Version : Tail of the Dragon Agenda - Coming Soon!!

Joel
04-28-2014, 03:36 PM
This is a bit long and subject to some changes as necessary. We have added some things for Thursday as many folks are coming in early. Please let me know about dinner at the Park Vista so we can advise on seating and food. We would also like to have cars that want to be in the filming that day to be ready to go about noon as the helicopter will only be for one hour.

We have 57 rooms booked so it seems we will have at least 75 Vipers maybe more. I know some are planning to bring trailers and we will find spots but the hotel lot might be crowded and you could possibly have to leave your trailer at another location.

I have had lots of folks order t-shirts and we are going to send the order off soon. I think you will be happy with the quality of what we have done but I would recommend ordering one size larger to allow for shrinkage. Apparently overseas folks are not our size. (No offense as I am XXL.) If you want a shirt please let me know. If you would like additional confirmation about your order, please contact me again. Short sleeve shirts are $20, long sleeve $25. We plan to order some extras but don't be left out. email: joel.hausler@mtsu.edu

We will have copies of the itinerary at the Greystone Lodge for early arrivals and Friday night at Crystelle Creek. We will also have copies of the route to Douglas Lake and the BBQ there. Please let us know if you plan to attend so we can order enough food. Our treat. BYOB.

We look forward to a great, safe event. Look forward to seeing all of you soon. Let me know if you have questions.

2014 Tail of the Dragon Agenda

Thursday May 29

Helicopter filming on 441N above Gatlinburg – 1:00 pm Driving time till afternoon for early birds. We will leave the hotel at 12:00 noon so we can be ready. First shot probably at the parking area above Gatlinburg.

Dinner at Doubletree Park Vista – great view of city and mountains, buffet dinner to include prime rib – special for us. Time to be 6:00 pm or thereabouts. Need to know if you are coming so we can make arrangements with the restaurant for seating.

Friday May 30

Meeting in Knoxville and other areas for Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola Skyway, drive to Gatlinburg. Breakfast in Knoxville at 8:00 am OR BEFORE. Start assembling cars at 8:45 am.

Leave Knoxville Campbell Station Area at 9:00 am. EST. Drive is about 90 miles to Tellico Plains.

Arrive Tellico Plains about 11:00-11:30. Break for gas and food and meet up with other groups. Leave for Gatlinburg no later than 12:30 pm. Possible stop at Deal’s Gap. Driving distance just over 100 miles.

Arrive in Gatlinburg about 3:30 – 4:00 pm. Check in Greystone Lodge.

Leave for Crystelle Creek Grill about 5-5:30 pm. Pick up t-shirts. Dinner about 6:30-7:00. Door prizes to be given away during this time. Announce plans and times for Saturday.

Saturday May 31

Leave for Douglas Lake and Ackley Party about 9:30 am. Police will block off lights to keep everyone together. Lunch provide by AL/TN Club.

Tail of the Dragon Round II group to leave at 10:00 am.

Return to hotel by late afternoon – freshen up before parade.

Parade lineup will start at 5:45 or 6:00 pm at staging area. Cars should stagger on road so the photographer can get each car individually. NOT side by side. Dinner at Cherokee Grill at about 6:30. Parking is set up behind the Cherokee Grill but some spillover might have to take place across the street. Unfortunately this is a pay lot and we will try to make arrangements. Return to hotel about 9:00 pm so individual merriment can begin.

Sunday June 1

Check out, check cars, say goodbye, and head home or drives around the area on your own. Smile all the way home and plan for coming back next year.

uvbnbit
04-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Looking great! 57 rooms? No Sh!t? Dang, there's probably 10-15 locals too. Great job Joel!

99RT10
04-28-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't think that Breakfast can happen for 60+ people in 45 minutes. Unless were are getting an egg sandwich from McDonald's? Was the plan to meet up at the Cracker Barrel?

01sapphirebob
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Sounds exciting!!! This will be my first trip to the dragon. Can't wait!!!

Joel
04-28-2014, 08:56 PM
I am thinking that folks will be up and ready to go eat by that time or before. Moving 30+ cars to Tellico Plains by about noon will be a good trick so we are HOPING that we can leave the Campbell Station road area by 9:00 am. That gives us somewhere around 2.5 to 3 hours to get to Tellico Plains. I hope folks will gas their cars the night before or have enough gas to get to Tellico Plains - about 90 miles. We always meet around the gas stations in Tellico and then head out to the Skyway. We have picked the route of least resistance to try to keep on schedule.

I don't think that Breakfast can happen for 60+ people in 45 minutes. Unless were are getting an egg sandwich from McDonald's? Was the plan to meet up at the Cracker Barrel?

uvbnbit
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Correct. That is not a schedule for breakfast. Just a time and place (cracker barrel at exit 373) to meet, socialize, and wait for those that forgot to fuel up. So, be fueled up ready to go. Be where you need to be before you need to be there....bring 2way radios too.

Mad Max
04-28-2014, 09:16 PM
What type of radio's are you guys using?

Snakebit
04-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Granola bars from the gas station ... works for me!

DEADEYE
04-28-2014, 11:04 PM
I can hardly wait!

Joel
04-29-2014, 08:38 AM
One thing I failed to put in the agenda is the parade video for Saturday night. We have arranged for a photographer to video the parade and copies will be available for $10 - basically our cost. We hope to have the video running on a big screen TV at the Cherokee Grille that night so you can see what you will get. The only thing is that the photographer asked that cars "stagger" so he can film each car. Notice I said cars stagger - not drivers or passengers. This means we won't be able to go side by side as we usually do but the result will be that each car will get attention in the video. Your cooperation is appreciated and we will try to find out where the photographer will be so that we can get everyone in proper formation. The sound of 50-60 Vipers has been amazing in the past - we hope to have 75 or more this year. Just hope we don't start an earthquake!!!

Stretch
04-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Good stuff Joel!

The north convoy is up to 18 confirmed with another 4-5 maybes right now. Can't wait!!

Joel
04-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Was cleaning my car and found a few fries in the floor. Should have left them in there in case I needed a snack. I will buy a five gallon bucket of adrenalin in case folks aren't fired up enough when we get together. Happy trails.

Granola bars from the gas station ... works for me!

99RT10
04-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Was cleaning my car and found a few fries in the floor. Should have left them in there in case I needed a snack. I will buy a five gallon bucket of adrenalin in case folks aren't fired up enough when we get together. Happy trails.

LOL, cool. And Granola bars work for me too................... :D

BadAndy
04-29-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm going to contact the Hotel and see about arranging some shipping thanks to Jeff Baker's past history on these type situations. Will make things a lot less stressful trunk wise for the whole trip. Especially since Stretch made me put my spare tire back in last year.

Joel
04-29-2014, 01:58 PM
If you'd carry your spare tire around your waist (some say waste in my case) like I do, that wouldn't be a problem. Just let Stretch carry that tire for you. Then you'll have plenty of room. Or, just borrow his spare if you need it.

I'm going to contact the Hotel and see about arranging some shipping thanks to Jeff Baker's past history on these type situations. Will make things a lot less stressful trunk wise for the whole trip. Especially since Stretch made me put my spare tire back in last year.

Jeebs
05-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Good stuff Joel!

The north convoy is up to 18 confirmed with another 4-5 maybes right now. Can't wait!!

Wow, now thats a convoy. The drive down is going to be a good time to it sounds like. I can't wait to go. Its going to be a blast. It will be nice to see everyone again. And meet some new people too.

AbsolutHank
05-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Joel can you send me the info? I need to get registered!!

Stretch
05-04-2014, 08:54 PM
What type of radio's are you guys using?

I have a pair of Midland GXT1000 2 way radios. I don't know much about radios, but as long as they are the 2 way or GMRS type they will work to communicate.

AbsolutHank
05-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Got your PM Joel. Thanks!

Joel
05-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Not a problem. We are looking forward to you being there - along with some rowdy friends.

Got your PM Joel. Thanks!

Milara98
05-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Hey Everyone- new to the Forum.. Just booked my rooms-- anything else I need to do--besides show up? Looking forward to meeting you all. Driviing in from Nashville Fri if anyone else is interested in rolling with.

Loud
05-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Some of us met with with the gang at Tellico Plains. Instead of driving up to Knoxville, we drove via the dragon, cherohala, and made it there by 11. Prolly will do the same this year too :)

uvbnbit
05-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Hey Everyone- new to the Forum.. Just booked my rooms-- anything else I need to do--besides show up? Looking forward to meeting you all. Driviing in from Nashville Fri if anyone else is interested in rolling with.

You'll need to leave way early to be at CB by 830 am. Want to ride in with a few of us Thursday Afternoon? Staying at CB exit

Stretch
05-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Some of us met with with the gang at Tellico Plains. Instead of driving up to Knoxville, we drove via the dragon, cherohala, and made it there by 11. Prolly will do the same this year too :)

That's a pretty good idea. I went to Cracker Barrel last year to hang out and have breakfast. With the departure time from there being earlier this year that might be a good alternative.

Milara98
05-13-2014, 07:16 PM
So... The hotel is connected to a Margarita bar-- "No Way Jose's"... Ill pack my sombrero :)

uvbnbit
05-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Yes. Next door. Can crawl back to room in few minutes.