PDA

View Full Version : LED headlights

Darth Menace
04-26-2014, 12:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried LED headlights in their Viper, and if so how does the lowbeam/highbeam work? What bulb does it use?

Viper98912
04-26-2014, 01:10 PM
I don't think there's anything available yet in the aftermarket. Only thing out there is Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes E, CLS, and S, and Audi 6,7,8. There are some available from JWSpeaker, but they are 7" round.

I do have a good HID version if you're interested

Viper Specialty
04-26-2014, 01:51 PM
There is an interesting option coming very soon. 3000 lumens per lamp.

Darth Menace
04-26-2014, 02:16 PM
I thought LED worked solely as a plug and play bulb...not a kit like HID's. I take it I am mistaken?

Viper98912
04-26-2014, 10:45 PM
The "readily available" LED bulbs that are on the market today are not strong enough for a low beam or high beam (unless you're looking at the cars I mentioned above). Eventually they will hit the main stream, just like HID's did ten years ago. There are companies that are right on the edge of producing a mass market (aftermarket) setup here pretty soon, which will change the game again.

Darth Menace
04-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Well that sucks. A plug and play LED with the look of HID sounds impressive to me

Viper98912
04-27-2014, 06:23 AM
What look or output are you trying to achieve? Just go HID?

Darth Menace
05-03-2014, 07:26 PM
The look of HID (or similar) and a simple plug and play is what i'm trying to achieve

Viper98912
05-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Most HID is plug and play nowadays? You can either buy a kit with bulbs and ballasts into your stock 9005 projectors, or buy a projector retrofit kit that includes new bulbs, ballasts, and HID purpose projectors (much better output). There's a little more work involved, but it's not that much and you're not cutting up your car or anything.

When LED finally goes mainstream (and where cost isn't outrageous), the projectors will need to be changed anyway.

RTTTTed
05-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I installed the HIDs into my GTS and loved the low beams so much that I never used High beams anymore. Being a 200+mph car I bought and installed a second set of HIDs (low beam bulbs) into the highnbeams, WOW. I hate driving ordinary lighted cars and even the "Platinum premium bulbs" in my Ford pu really suck!

I just wish the High beams would come on instantly instead of taking 20 sec to warm up. Perhaps LEDs would light quickly?

KNG SNKE
05-05-2014, 06:24 AM
I installed the HIDs into my GTS and loved the low beams so much that I never used High beams anymore. Being a 200+mph car I bought and installed a second set of HIDs (low beam bulbs) into the highnbeams, WOW. I hate driving ordinary lighted cars and even the "Platinum premium bulbs" in my Ford pu really suck!

I just wish the High beams would come on instantly instead of taking 20 sec to warm up. Perhaps LEDs would light quickly?

Switch to Viper98912's kit and your high beams come on instantly. The kit has a movable cutoff so when you hit the high beams the cutoff drops down and allows full light to exit the projector. It utizilizes the same bulb and projector essentially making it all in one. You can also run your oem highs as well for a little extra lighting.

Viper98912
05-05-2014, 06:27 AM
I do not recommend HID for the high beams due to needing instant on/off for flashing situations. LED does light quickly but as stated before those sizes and wattages are not yet available/mainstream.