PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a used Quafie Diff equiped 3.55 gear, GEN I/II assembled unit for sale?

Coloviper
04-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Finally getting around to installing the myriad of replacement and upgraded performance parts on my Viper. Only item I had not considered at the time due to funds was the rear end. Was wondering if anyone had a used Quafie Diff equipped, 3.55 geared, GEN I/II assembled unit lying around for sale. Would like to upgrade this on my 96' RT/10 and of course would like a complete new unit, but just don't have the extra coin at the moment for the $3k+ for a new fully assembled unit.

Just thought I would take a long shot here to see if someone by chance had one, took pitting on my post and wanted to help out. If so, hopefully it is in good shape and only in need of fluid maintenance. Would like to just bolt it in!

Thanks
Rick

DIY BBQ
04-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I just had 3.55s put in the cor about 2 weeks ago. Car totally drives different! Should have been like this from the factory

NI-KA
04-27-2014, 12:30 PM
What were you thinking a used one should go for?

slitherv10
04-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Finally getting around to installing the myriad of replacement and upgraded performance parts on my Viper. Only item I had not considered at the time due to funds was the rear end. Was wondering if anyone had a used Quafie Diff equipped, 3.55 geared, GEN I/II assembled unit lying around for sale. Would like to upgrade this on my 96' RT/10 and of course would like a complete new unit, but just don't have the extra coin at the moment for the $3k+ for a new fully assembled unit.

Just thought I would take a long shot here to see if someone by chance had one, took pitting on my post and wanted to help out. If so, hopefully it is in good shape and only in need of fluid maintenance. Would like to just bolt it in!

Thanks
Rick

Why do you need the Quaife Diff ? Always curious on what some upgrades are for and why?

NI-KA
04-27-2014, 04:33 PM
http://quaife.co.uk/differentials

slitherv10
04-27-2014, 10:05 PM
http://quaife.co.uk/differentials

Read it all...

Now, does this act as or replace stability control or limited slip? Does it do what those do?

Coloviper
04-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Real reason I want a quaife is when pointed straight, it is like having both rear half-shafts welded together. Straight is where you go! When in the twisties, the quaife uses it's magic to shoot you out of the corners the best. It is truly the best of both worlds and what should be coming on the car from the factory. IMHO, it is the best you can buy for our applications.

It is NOT cheap however and to install one in a factory diff housing, there is a lot of work to make it fit but well worth it in the end. I figured if I am going to upgrade that component, then I might as well upgrade that to the best to get as much as I can out of the car.

I think I have told this story in the past but when I had my GEN III Coupe from new, about 4 months into ownership I was entering the highway on an on ramp in the morning and it must have had some dew on the highway. I did not realize it but stepped on it pretty hard for that "on-ramp rush". In the span on 2 seconds, I could distinctively feel the rear of the car transfer power from right to left, right to left, right to left and in the process was loosing control to go sideways on a straight on-ramp. I let off but that moment told me, the rear diff set up in the car is a POS. Sorry but that left a trust issue for me and I did track the car a few times after that as well. It was always there in the back of my mind, "when will that happen again?".

So that is why I want it, I feel the car will just be all around safer, more stable and more confident. That is also why I have a MCS suspension in the basement to go on the car and upgraded brakes. If you do not feel confident in the car, then you have fear. If you have fear, you will never reach your full potential. Plenty of magazine testers prove that in the Viper since it's inception. At least in my mind, these particular components will remove that concern for me.

As far as used cost, I am hoping for a used full assembly with Quaife and 3.55 for around $2K to my door. I am not talking about just the diff. The whole assembly! Can get the diff a few places for a great price. It is the work to make it fit and set it up, that is the issue.

slitherv10
04-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Real reason I want a quaife is when pointed straight, it is like having both rear half-shafts welded together. Straight is where you go! When in the twisties, the quaife uses it's magic to shoot you out of the corners the best. It is truly the best of both worlds and what should be coming on the car from the factory. IMHO, it is the best you can buy for our applications.

It is NOT cheap however and to install one in a factory diff housing, there is a lot of work to make it fit but well worth it in the end. I figured if I am going to upgrade that component, then I might as well upgrade that to the best to get as much as I can out of the car.

I think I have told this story in the past but when I had my GEN III Coupe from new, about 4 months into ownership I was entering the highway on an on ramp in the morning and it must have had some dew on the highway. I did not realize it but stepped on it pretty hard for that "on-ramp rush". In the span on 2 seconds, I could distinctively feel the rear of the car transfer power from right to left, right to left, right to left and in the process was loosing control to go sideways on a straight on-ramp. I let off but that moment told me, the rear diff set up in the car is a POS. Sorry but that left a trust issue for me and I did track the car a few times after that as well. It was always there in the back of my mind, "when will that happen again?".

So that is why I want it, I feel the car will just be all around safer, more stable and more confident. That is also why I have a MCS suspension in the basement to go on the car and upgraded brakes. If you do not feel confident in the car, then you have fear. If you have fear, you will never reach your full potential. Plenty of magazine testers prove that in the Viper since it's inception. At least in my mind, these particular components will remove that concern for me.

As far as used cost, I am hoping for a used full assembly with Quaife and 3.55 for around $2K to my door. I am not talking about just the diff. The whole assembly! Can get the diff a few places for a great price. It is the work to make it fit and set it up, that is the issue.

I went on the Quaife website and they do say their diff alone is a direct replacement for the OEM one. Is that not an option if that is the case and it does not need modifications. or...did you already look into that and it does need some work to get it in. I did email them and asked that question and will see what they say, but, in the end it is always better to find the answer from someone who has installed one and went through the process.

Coloviper
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
It does however require some modifications to make it work correctly in this application. This is why you want it as an assembly with the gears and all set up prior so you just bolt it in worry free.

Big Miata
04-28-2014, 04:04 PM
You sound like you want it. You lose 2 mpg on the highway and don't get to hold your gears as long. It does make the car faster. I really enjoy the set up of stock my gen 2. The car is all about low end unlike the newer vipers. Unless it is for drag racing or tracking it why make the engine work harder all the time. If you want it get it. 1st will be a lot shorter.

Coloviper
04-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Put 3.55s in my GEN III, love them. There is a reason the new cars come with them. They should have from the factory on older gens. Don't care about the mpg loss for as little as I drive it. You can actually use 6th after. With stock gears, it s the "tractor" sounding, gutless gear.

Anyway to the original purpose of the thread, I take it no be has an old set up or spare for sale?

slitherv10
04-28-2014, 09:46 PM
It does however require some modifications to make it work correctly in this application. This is why you want it as an assembly with the gears and all set up prior so you just bolt it in worry free.

Just got a response from an Alex a tech from Quaife and he quoted.........

Hello Tommy,

Thank you very much for your enquiry, yes the ATB unit is direct fit replacement and can be used with original parts without any machining required.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Alex Miller

Quaife Technical Sales

Tel: 01732 749525

Unless your application is any different though. Have you called them and got information regarding your project?

Coloviper
04-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Tom, thanks!

slitherv10
04-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Tom, thanks!

I hope it helps and saves you a few dollars. If not, back to plan A.

Big Miata
04-29-2014, 07:56 PM
The reason the new car has 3.55 is cause the gearbox is different ratios and it is a peakier motor. Trust me if we would be ok with 190 top speed or whatever 5th is then 6th would have been an ok to get 25 mpg. That is the new car. The are forced to make it have a 200mph top speed even though it could have a proper od gear in the 6th gear like the stock 1st through thirds had.

Even the percentage of viper owners that top out their car is probably less than 1 percent. which is why 6th is a waste. Every track on the planet save a handful the viper would need 6th. Unless your racing professionally I don't get it.

Uncle Paul
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Long overdrive 5th and 6th gears were used for fuel economy on the EPA testing. Reduced the gas guzzler tax and corporate fuel economy hit.

Gen I and II usually hit top speed in 5th gear. Engine will not pull 6th against wind resistance.

Same reason for the skip shift 1st to 4th shift ramp. Blame the feds.

Big Miata
04-29-2014, 11:18 PM
I have never cared about the 1st to 4th shift I don't know who doesn't take their car up to 2500 in first gear everytime. it is like 2100 when I affects you. Might as well start in second if your not using first.