PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Zerks?

Thawk97
04-24-2014, 01:40 PM
So, one thing I'm notoriously bad about is remembering to grease the chassis on my other cars. I've made a new-spring's resolution to get better on that and given I'm a fairly new GenII owner, thought it might help to get input here.

How many grease fittings are on the GenII and where are the locations (pics would be great)? I want to make sure I'm not missing an important chassis lube locations. My assumption is any multipurpose automotive grease will work - correct me if that's wrong.

C.J
04-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Do you have a service manual? There was a page that showed the location of all the grease points. The grease was the red multipurpose stuff IIRC.

Give me a bit of time and I can scan in that page for you and post.

Viper Girl
04-24-2014, 02:05 PM
LOL another page for the How-to's CJ...

Thawk97
04-24-2014, 11:10 PM
I do have a service manual, but I couldn't find anything in there on it.

sparkrn
04-25-2014, 12:24 AM
I believe there are only 3 on each side up front. upper A, lower A, and steering bushing on each side. Easy to get any of these with the wheel removed. Let me know if you find more. :h1504:

C.J
04-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Use a grease that is either LB or GC-LB rated. Check page 2-2 of your service manual for this chart...

Bugman Jeff
04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I use synthetic grease for everything, mostly just because. My grease of choice is Mobil 1 for the simple reason that it's pink. I'm a bit color blind and can't always tell when the new grease is oozing out, or if it's still dirty old grease, with the bright M1 it's easy to spot when I've got new grease squeezing out. It's not such a big deal on the Viper with it's few fittings, but on something like my '55 Ply with it's 18 front fittings, it makes a difference.

C.J
04-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Bugman, have you experienced Mobil 1 grease starting to liquefy and drip out of the grease gun?

Your C3 Corvette would have had a bunch of grease fittings too. Amazing at how many there used to be before suspension components magically became maintenance free.

Bugman Jeff
04-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Yes, I have noticed that. All grease will eventually separate, the red Mobil seems to do it a little quicker than most. Essentially, it's the liquid oil being squeezed out from the thickener. My other grease of choice is Amsoil, and it'll do it too, though it takes much longer. It's not something I worry about. Here's what Mobil has to say about it:

Question:
What's the Liquid Dripping from My Grease Gun?
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, and I notice a red liquid dripping from the grease gun. What does this indicate? What can I do about it?
-- Joe Damptz, Henderson, NV
Answer:
Yes, all grease will separate oil from thickener over time, some more than others. Even a high soap grease like Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease will bleed some oil, especially if the gun is left under pressure when sitting on the shelf. The length of time it's undisturbed, increased temperatures and increased pressures all promote oil separation.

As far as remedy, there's no harm to the performance of the grease, so the little bit of few drops that are lost won't affect the grease's ability to lubricate. Release the pressure on the gun, wipe it off and it will be fine.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Liquid_Dripping_from_Grease_Gun.aspx

And from Timken, who definitely knows what it takes to keep things lubed:

I’ve noticed oil separation in my grease. Is it still OK to use?

Some oil separation or puddle formation seen on top of grease in pails or drums should not be a problem. Remember, a grease lubricates a bearing by releasing oil to the bearing contact, so releasing oil is a necessary function of the grease. Typically, the amount of oil separation is insignificant when compared with the mass of grease in the container. Normally, the separated oil can be safely stirred back into the bulk of the grease in the container. Experience has shown that much of this time-related oil separation can be reduced if the surface of the grease is kept smooth during storage (i.e., do not leave "craters" in the grease).
The grade or consistency of the grease is also related to oil separation. The lighter the grease grade, the more prone it becomes to oil bleed.
Finally, large fluctuations in storage temperature can affect oil bleed. Keep storage temperatures as consistent as possible.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/lubrication/Pages/faq.aspx

C.J
04-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Hmm, interesting about your experience with Amsoil grease. I may switch to that next time. I get tired of getting dripped on when using a grease gun. Thanks for the info!

Sybil TF
04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Bugman, have you experienced Mobil 1 grease starting to liquefy and drip out of the grease gun?

Yes, because it was all over the floor!:mad: Needs to be stored in the basement in a cooler area.