PDA

View Full Version : help finding a classic car for <10K

Ninjakris
04-24-2014, 12:13 AM
My father-in-law is turning 70 in about a year and a half. For his birthday, my wife and I were thinking about really surprising him and buying him a 60's or 70's classic muscle car for the big 70 that he can take to C&C and local car shows. Whenever he visits, I always make it a point to take him out in the viper and he has a great time. Unfortunately, he gave up on his passion for cars when my wife and her brother were born. He his the type of person who will give his last penny to help others and would never buy something like this for himself. We think its time to pay him back a little bit for a lifetime of giving to others.

With that said, we are going to start looking for a car in about a year, but I have no idea what we should be looking for. I can tell you all about cars made from 90-present, but I'm clueless on older cars. I want something that has some nice body lines, not too complicated, and under $10,000 hopefully. It doesn't have to be flawless, and he likes to thinker on things, so a little work needed would be ok. The only thing I can think of is a C3 vette. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

ICPREY
04-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Any Brand loyalty? Facebook has a few groups that are dedicated to finding Craigslist deals nationwide.

Sybil TF
04-24-2014, 03:11 AM
The only thing I can think of is a C3 vette. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Don't do it. He will hate a C-3.

C.J
04-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Great idea Kris!

I'll respectfully disagree with Sybil...A C3 vette can be a lot of fun. I picked up a 1977 (last year of the flat rear glass) and it was right in the ballpark pricewise, and it's a fun car to drive. Not much power, but if you get a 4-speed, it is plenty o' fun.

If you get one, plan on replacing all calipers and master cylinder if these are old. The lip seals are notorious for leaking. Get a set of new calipers with the o-ring seals and that solves that problem.

Next time you're in Raleigh, stop by and take mine for a drive.

slitherv10
04-24-2014, 06:24 AM
Getting in and out of a Vette may be challenging at some point for a 70 years old. Just saying of course as we are not all ageing the same. Something to consider though.

VRYALT3R3D
04-24-2014, 06:52 AM
try looking on: www.cars-on-line.com

LATAMUD
04-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Give us more deatails, what make, Ford GM, Chrysler? Brainstorming: Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane, Comet, Galaxie, Thunderbird, Chevelle, Cutlass, Nova, GTO, Trans Am, Firebird, Camaro, Dart, Barracuda, Valiant, Coronet, Duster, Fury,

idea
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4424612280.html

Ohiotj
04-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Everyone loves an old jeep. They are in your price range and can give him something easy to work on. There always drawing crowds around here at shows too.

Sybil TF
04-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Great idea Kris!

I'll respectfully disagree with Sybil...A C3 vette can be a lot of fun.

Not for a 70 year old. And the ride is aweful.And anything under $10,000 is going to be a headache for this poor fellow.Don't torture him please!!!

Ninjakris
04-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far.

CJ, I'll definitely take you up on that offer to see your C3 next time I'm up there.

LATAMUD, that's exactly the type of car I am thinking about. Something that is nice enough for him to enjoy, but needs a little bit of love and will keep him busy tinkering on it.

I don't think he has any brand loyalty, but next time I take him out to a car show, I'll hint around and see what I can find out. I never really thought about a jeep or truck, but that would be easier for him to get in and out of.

I hope I will be able to find something for around 10K. However, if I can't find something for what I can afford, I don't want to give him a basket case that is more work than its worth.

BlknBlu
04-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Real Muscle cars were 65 to 71 and will bring a premiuim, but the secondary level of cars are priced about where you are looking. Any mid 70's camero, firebird or Mustang will be in the range. Or look for early 80's Hurst Olds, Monte SS or Buik T Types. Mopar are not a good choice from 72 till about 2004 unless you like the K car turbo cars.

good luck

Bruce

Anonymous
04-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Some of the old Riveras and Catalina's, lemans are cheap.

C.J
04-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Not sure on pricing, but the Buick GNs are a hoot. And you get the classic fuzzy La-Z-Boy grade interior GM was known for as a bonus. :)

BTW, what sort of physical condition is your father in-law in?

Sybil, the ride on mine with KYB shocks is decent. It's not Fleetwood smooth, but the ride is very easy on old bones.

BlknBlu
04-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Some of the old Riveras and Catalina's, lemans are cheap.

This is also true. non muscle car name plates can be had for a lot cheaper, like a base Chevelle, Malibu, Barracuda, Coronet, Belvedere, Torino, Fairlane....etc

Bruce

City
04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Early 90's 5.0 liter Mustang?

Bugman Jeff
04-25-2014, 02:12 AM
And anything under $10,000 is going to be a headache for this poor fellow.Don't torture him please!!!
Nonsense. Except for my Viper, none of my cars has cost more than $4K, and all but one are old enough to be carbureted. I've only had to be towed home five times in the 18 years I've been driving. Here's an example of one of my other cars, my '55 Plymouth. Cost me $1200 in the condition you see(and it was NOT a once in a lifetime type deal). It's not in perfect showroom condition, but is decent overall, and it has been one of the most reliable cars I've owned. It's left me stranded ONCE in the 15 years and 80,000 miles I've owned it. You don't need to spend $10K+ to get a reliable old car in decent condition :rolleyes:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/185658_106678766078564_3979202_n.jpg

Ninjakris, while you're shopping keep an eye out for power steering. MANY older cars didn't come with it standard. They're still manageable without, but it's a nice feature to have, particularly for an older gentleman.

No hemi
04-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Go to Racing junk, they have them divided by brand, year, model, and sports cars, muscle cars or racecars

Sybil TF
04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Not sure on pricing, but the Buick GNs are a hoot. And you get the classic fuzzy La-Z-Boy grade interior GM was known for as a bonus. :)

Sybil, the ride on mine with KYB shocks is decent. It's not Fleetwood smooth, but the ride is very easy on old bones. it's that old metal mono-spring that gives them the bouncy ride. ....Steering feels very non responsive and sloppy on those c- 3's. I guess I'm spoiled. C-4 was better but ugly as hell and you have to climb in and over the hump lol

Sybil TF
04-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Early 90's 5.0 liter Mustang?

Looks like a box:eek:

C.J
04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Sybil, the transverse leaf spring works well...maybe your C3 had the HD or Gymkhana suspension? Steering feels fine too...accurate and no slop whatsoever. If the steering gear wears but is not adjusted, then steering will feel sloppy.

But I get your point...you don't like C3s.

Drlee50
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
2 options--- get him something he likes or plan for the future when he passes on and get something you like now since it will end up back to you anyway.

I say opt for a 55-57 chevy or something like that. very easy to maintain and very reliable. lots of parts available. classic car he can take to the shows. easy to get in and out of and ride nice overall.

Leslie
04-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Go to a cruise-in...see what he likes:)
I have owned a lot of vettes, I alsi would never buy a C3.

C.J
04-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Kris, have you asked your father in-law what cars he used to have? He may mention some specific cars that would help you focus your search.

Sybil TF
04-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Sybil, the transverse leaf spring works well...maybe your C3 had the HD or Gymkhana suspension? Steering feels fine too...accurate and no slop whatsoever. If the steering gear wears but is not adjusted, then steering will feel sloppy.

But I get your point...you don't like C3s.
I guess if I lived in a state that had good roads it would make a big difference. Plus they have no power unless it's modded or has a big block which is out of his budget. A friend has a 69 Chevelle with coil springs on the back. Rides really well and he paid $13,000 for it. Very nice car and not a matching #s type thing. Plenty of room, has a big block and lot's of zoom....

C3's are also very cramped from the coke bottle design unless you are as skinny as a rail.