PDA

View Full Version : CoTA on Jun 28-29 anyone???

Herrsss
04-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Howdy all,

Anyone interested in 2 full days of criving at CoTA on June 28th and 29th? If so check out www.edgeaddicts.com for more information and to register.
Host hotel is a new Holiday Inn near the airport and about 10 minutes from the track.
Questions - call Karen Zimmerman at 903-456-0015 and let her know Beth & Richard referred you . . . no, it won't get a discount but might get you in since she doesn't know ya!

blk_fxstc
04-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Note: the fine print says "solo approved drivers only". Most in Houston will not qualify for this, including myself.

FLATOUT
04-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Good point, what all does one need to do to become "solo approved". I think Beth, Richard, and MNT BKR are, as well as Gertz. I just don't road race the car enough to get solo approved.

Shooter
04-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Good point, what all does one need to do to become "solo approved". I think Beth, Richard, and MNT BKR are, as well as Gertz. I just don't road race the car enough to get solo approved.

I'm solo approved with NARRA. Does that count?. I might be interested in going.

Herrsss
04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm solo approved with NARRA. Does that count?. I might be interested in going.

Yes Rob that does count.

Everyone - give Karen a call to see what she says - might be possible to participate

MtnBiker
04-22-2014, 10:05 PM

It just takes track time. Learning the line, respecting other drivers and attention to corner stations, and more track time.

blk_fxstc
04-23-2014, 07:51 AM

Just need to find an event where they will be qualifying solo drivers and get some practice in before hand.

Dusty1
04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
You have many options on groups that run around the state at tracks from DFW to Austin to Houston so you should be able to work a few into your schedule. All you end up using is rubber, brakes and purhaps speeding up your fluid changes. What you get is an understanding of your car you can't get anywhere else. We have had an amazing amout of fun doing this so I highly recommend it if you can!

Richard

Shooter
04-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Lets get some more LOCAL driving events like what Andy's planning for June. I think I'll have to buy a beat to snot cheap Porsche so I can join the PCA and get more track time with the ACR.

lol. I'm sure the Porsche guys will love it. :)

Seriously though, lets get some track events going.

Thank you,
shooter...out

FLATOUT
04-23-2014, 04:01 PM
I know you and I have discussed this in the past but I will throw this out there for other members.

I can get us on MSR as Member guests for the day. It's $200 for the day, no instructors, no anything other than driving. Usually a short drivers meeting in the morning and then have at it. People are responsible for their own insurance and anything else they may need.

Better yet Lets start a new thread discussing local track days so we can openly discuss any barriers to entry that the club may or maynot have including insurance costs and coverages.

Lets get some more LOCAL driving events like what Andy's planning for June. I think I'll have to buy a beat to snot cheap Porsche so I can join the PCA and get more track time with the ACR.

Seriously though, lets get some track events going.

Thank you,
shooter...out

MtnBiker
04-23-2014, 09:55 PM
I think I'll have to buy a beat to snot cheap Porsche so I can join the PCA and get more track time with the ACR.

My wife owned a Porsche and I have retained club membership by paying annual dues. I run at PCA events as often as they have them. The PCA puts on a very professional event, well done.

At first I felt a less than welcoming reception, but they have warmed up to me as I have demonstrated I am not a tool out on track. They are used to guys showing up in high horsepower cars and hauling ass down the straights then messing up the corners then hauling ass down the straights. That does not impress them. On my check out ride for promotion to yellow run group the chief instructor told me it was the first time he had been in a high horsepower car with someone who knew how to drive it. Quite the compliment, but more a testimony of his frustration with guys in Vipers and Vettes I would surmise.

Shooter
04-24-2014, 10:43 AM
My wife owned a Porsche and I have retained club membership by paying annual dues. I run at PCA events as often as they have them. The PCA puts on a very professional event, well done.

At first I felt a less than welcoming reception, but they have warmed up to me as I have demonstrated I am not a tool out on track. They are used to guys showing up in high horsepower cars and hauling ass down the straights then messing up the corners then hauling ass down the straights. That does not impress them. On my check out ride for promotion to yellow run group the chief instructor told me it was the first time he had been in a high horsepower car with someone who knew how to drive it. Quite the compliment, but more a testimony of his frustration with guys in Vipers and Vettes I would surmise.

Hell they'll love my ACR then. Slow on the straights and haul ass around the corners. :)

Dusty1
04-24-2014, 11:01 AM
The PCA is by far the most regimented in their approach. They have most likely been doing it the longest. I probably won't go back but I am none the less happy they do what they do. Its not hard to startle them from behind however but they all were well mannered in passing. The ride along instructors don't seem to have much experience in high horsepower cars however.

Richard

Toxic
04-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Richard, might as well say it. Some of them drove off the track looking at you barreling down on them in the mirror. Btw, I'm registered for COTA. Got the new transmission in the car and worked out most of the kinks. Damn busy this year, but I'm going to get some track time in May and June.

Dusty1
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Great news on your car Mike. I am going to pick up Dusty today from Bumbera's and the conversion is finally done. They removed 700lbs in weight and the car is in the 3,200's now. Now if I could lose a few LBS that would be good too!! Also due to the way they built the cage and lowered my seat to fit the Stoptech seats the car is now 50-50-50 (Left to Right, Front to Back). Gonna have to learn a whole new car.

Richard

Shooter
04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Hmmm. $1000 bucks for 2 days. What are the run groups like?. Would I be dodging rolling chicanes (Camero's and Challengers) while trying to stay out of Mike's way? :)

Dusty1
04-29-2014, 11:50 AM
No at these prices I would think higher hp cars. With that back straight it will be High Speed differences with most cars though. I was maxing 4th gear back there.

MtnBiker
04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Agreed. I maxed 4th gear down the back, hitting red line at 165 before braking at around the 300 mark.