PDA

View Full Version : 96 GTS B/W paint. Which company did them?

slitherv10
04-19-2014, 07:23 PM
I am in the process of painting some parts of my car and the painter is having a hell of a time matching the blue GTS paint as there are many variations.

Does anyone have any ideas on making this simpler than it is. Which company mixed this paint in 96? Anyone know. I know Prefix does it now but who did it then. Knowing who did it in 96 may help match this paint.

I know when I had both my 86"s side by side they looked totally different. One was a brilliant blue color while the other had more of a blue purple tinge to it. Weird but true. This is why it seems he is having trouble matching this blue violet looking paint.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt M, Pa
04-19-2014, 08:02 PM
When I had my '96, the hood had to be touched up. (Apparently some sort of damage from the showroom floor that was fixed incorrectly...Chrysler paid to make it right under warranty)

The shop couldn't get a match, either. They were using PPG. Another shop that was friendly with my shop mixed some Sikkens...and it matched dead-on. Seems the actual metallic flake was different.

Sybil TF
04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I had my side sills repainted back in Nov and they matched it perfectly without the car. Since you are too far away I can pm you the shop and number and maybe your guy can ask them. Referred to me by a VA member and glad I listened.

slitherv10
04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
When I had my '96, the hood had to be touched up. (Apparently some sort of damage from the showroom floor that was fixed incorrectly...Chrysler paid to make it right under warranty)

The shop couldn't get a match, either. They were using PPG. Another shop that was friendly with my shop mixed some Sikkens...and it matched dead-on. Seems the actual metallic flake was different.

I was told about the Sikkens paint and how well it looks. I will ask him about that....Thanks

I had my side sills repainted back in Nov and they matched it perfectly without the car. Since you are too far away I can pm you the shop and number and maybe your guy can ask them. Referred to me by a VA member and glad I listened.

Thanks for the PM I will give them a call on Monday and see where I or my painter can go with that.

Ron
04-19-2014, 09:31 PM
ASC painted the cars in 1996 and they used AkzoNobel brand paint. Sikkens in the retail equivalent of AkzoNobel and as many have stated it's the only one that will completely match, color & flake.

Bugman Jeff
04-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Tangentially related, what color was the original primer under the blue?

slitherv10
04-19-2014, 10:45 PM
ASC painted the cars in 1996 and they used AkzoNobel brand paint. Sikkens in the retail equivalent of AkzoNobel and as many have stated it's the only one that will completely match, color & flake.

does it come premixed with Sikkens or would we have to still mix it ourselves to get the color. Would you know?

slitherv10
04-19-2014, 10:46 PM

Did it come premixed and ready from Sikkens or did you have to add more mix color to get it to where you wanted?

Matt M, Pa
04-20-2014, 01:36 AM
No, it doesn't come pre-mixed from Sikkens...the shop mixed it on location. If a shop doesn't mix their own paint, you'd need a Sikkens dealer to mix it.

Most body shops I know mix most of their paint on location. They keep the toners, etc in stock. However, as mentioned above...my shop at the time used PPG. You'd need to find a Sikkens dealer or shop that uses Sikkens to have it mixed.

slitherv10
04-20-2014, 06:53 AM
No, it doesn't come pre-mixed from Sikkens...the shop mixed it on location. If a shop doesn't mix their own paint, you'd need a Sikkens dealer to mix it.

Most body shops I know mix most of their paint on location. They keep the toners, etc in stock. However, as mentioned above...my shop at the time used PPG. You'd need to find a Sikkens dealer or shop that uses Sikkens to have it mixed.

Do y9ou recall the amount of each color,flake,etc....I know there is violet, blue, violet pearl, blue red, violet etc..in that paint. Do you know how much of each to use and which ones or does it go specific to my car and color of course.

What is is about Sikkens that can make the color over PPG?

Matt M, Pa
04-20-2014, 07:12 AM
The shops I know use a scale and mix by weight. I guess some still do it by volume.

I have no idea how much or what is in the mix.

I can attest first hand that PPG at that time did not match the Viper blue..Sikkens did. Each paint maker is using their toners, etc to match the factory colors and each paint maker does things a bit different. Hence, the flake difference.

Ive been working on an old golfcar to use at home, and it's painted GTS blue. There's no doubt it's the right color, but it wasn.'t sprayed with Sikkens. I'd bet that if it was parked next to a GTS, it would be very close...but not close enough to blend this paint onto a GTS.

In the aftermarket, you're dealing with paint makers all trying to match the original colors. Some will be better than others.

slitherv10
04-20-2014, 07:26 AM
The shops I know use a scale and mix by weight. I guess some still do it by volume.

I have no idea how much or what is in the mix.

I can attest first hand that PPG at that time did not match the Viper blue..Sikkens did. Each paint maker is using their toners, etc to match the factory colors and each paint maker does things a bit different. Hence, the flake difference.

Ive been working on an old golfcar to use at home, and it's painted GTS blue. There's no doubt it's the right color, but it wasn.'t sprayed with Sikkens. I'd bet that if it was parked next to a GTS, it would be very close...but not close enough to blend this paint onto a GTS.

In the aftermarket, you're dealing with paint makers all trying to match the original colors. Some will be better than others.

Gotcha..

My painter does use a scale and what not. But he does use PPG and has tried 4 times now to match my paint and failed.

I will give the company Sybil TF gave me a call and will have my painter order Sikkens paint. Hopefully these two solutions will help him get on the right track.

JonB ~ PartsRack
04-20-2014, 12:13 PM

What Ron Sed