PDA

View Full Version : Just Picked Up!

Creatre
04-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Woo hoo finally got myself a Viper! I picked it up today from Greensboro, NC. I've gone back and forth on getting one for years while doing tons of research, but I finally found one I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately, I couldn't have picked a worse day weather wise, but it's all good, because at least I have it now! After I wash it up, it'll be good for many many nice days to come! But man, it was one rainy day to do 200 miles. And those puddles on the interstate caused some white knuckle moments. Haven't even gotten on it really, gonna make sure it's nice and dry and I have lots of space until I learn how she moves.

It's a Black 2003 vert w/ 37k miles. Super super clean (other than some underneath front fascia scrapes :| ), with some minor mods. Red vinyl stripes, powdercoated calipers, corsa catback, red shift knob, red badging, and black acr sidewinders. Has some freshish (age and tread) Invo's, so don't have to worry about tires yet. My plans are to mainly just enjoy it and keep it running good! May take off the stripes, going into the buy I definitely was, but they actually look really good in person and don't show any wear. May lower it on caps to get rid of 4x4, but it's nice to not scrape everything at the moment.

I did notice a couple things so far, but nothing major, and it did great on the long drive! 1) The oil temp gauge appears to not be working. I haven't research this at all, not sure if it's just a connection I need to check or what. 2) There's a squeaking at low speeds (or at least I can hear it at low speeds). Not sure if it was from the rain, but it sounds like a rubbing brake pad or maybe a wheel bearing. Will have to investigate more. 3) Not sure if it's normal or not, but there's no like loose neutral in the car. Hard to explain, but you can't like shake the shifter back and forth while in neutral. And to go from 2 to 3, you kind of have to move it to the right then up, instead of like let it go to the middle and then push up like most manual's. Not sure if that's a Viper thing or if I need to do some tranny fluid or something!

I live in Atlanta, GA, but my folks and girlfriend live in Greenville, SC. So I will probably hit up some of the Carolinas events in addition to the Georgia events! It's not my daily ride, but planning on doing 2500-5000 miles a year. Looking forward to the community, some fun car meets, and checking out some other sweet rides!

Here are some pics from today but hopefully I'll get some better ones tomorrow in the sun after a wash!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Creatre/photo1_zps58f845e2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Creatre/photo2_zps18efd333.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Creatre/photo4_zps50777e0b.jpg

JonB ~ PartsRack
04-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Congrats! I like the red stripes and badges..... Is that a WA Plate ? 2600 miles to NC!

You may have the (common) inner-E-brake pad dragging and squeeking.

See if you can make it stop by slowly and cautiously engaging the E-brake while moving slowly while squeeking. If the noise stops, EUREKA! $65 of pads fixes that (for now) before you eat the rear rotors.

invos in rain INVOke an "oh Sh!+" response from Viper owners caught wet. Pilots / Pirellis are GREAT in wet. Invos / Cups / Toyos are decent when puddling......

LifeIsGood
04-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Congratulations! She looks sweet! Your excitement reminds me of my purchase/delivery day.

BlknBlu
04-19-2014, 06:34 PM
looks great, welcome

Bruce

swexlin
04-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Congrats! I also have an 03 Black, bought 4 years ago this month, with 23K on her, now has 31+K on her. Squeeking as other said (I have it sometimes as well) could be the pad. I'm having new Baer rotors and new pads installed next week. As others have said, get on some good PS2s (or now the Super Sports) and you will have much better rain handling. I've had my PS2s in some serious downpours, and the cars handles very well.

From that pic, I think your oil temp gauge is working. These cars have oil coolers, and they work very well. Your oil temps will go up in warmer weather, but I think your gauge is probably OK. As for your shifting, I'd have to drive the car to see. Every "once" I a while, I can miss 3rd, or not get it in cleanly, but that's me not paying attention I think. What you're describing doesn't seem quite right. Get used to the power and torque before you really get on it.

St.Char
04-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Congrats! Really like the red stripes, I say keep'em...Nicely done.

C.J
04-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Congrats, great looking Viper! You're in for a fun time with this car.

When you have some time, check out the Carolinas Region threads and see what we've been up to: http://driveviper.com/forums/forums/45-Carolinas

PatrickB
04-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Gorgeous Viper, I love the stripes.. congrats on the purchase! I didn't have to drive in the rain on my delivery day, but my Viper was delivered to me in absolute monsoon weather.

We're very active in the Carolinas so keep an eye on our schedule and maybe we'll see you at an event some day!

slysnake
04-19-2014, 09:16 PM
The only thing you should do with the stripes is have them painted on to make them permanent. They look great.

Creatre
04-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks guys! Excited to give her a bath and enjoy some top down time today in nicer weather on this beautiful Easter!

I didn't drive it all the way from Washington, only put a Washington plate on there as a joke until I get it registered since I knew it was gonna be raining. :)

That squeaking I bet is the ebrake pads. The previous owner said he had recently just switched the inner and outer pads to have them wear more even and one must be rubbing. Ill check it out.

Bitten
04-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome and congrats on the new car!

Boba Fett
04-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Congrats!! Beautiful Viper!!

gerch85
04-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Congrats, looks real nice!

pony23
04-20-2014, 07:47 PM
I like the red stripes. I think they look pretty good on the black. Congrats and have fun.

Creatre
04-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Today was absolutely the best possible day to enjoy the Viper. 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. It was one of the best day's I've had in a long time. Washed the car, had a nice easter lunch, then cruised around Greenville, SC for most of the day. Left myself with some nice sun burns, but had a blast! It's amazing how much not only I enjoy it, but everyone enjoys just seeing and being around the car. It has like an aura I've never experienced before. Gave a ton of people rides around the block, and let lots of people have a sit in the drivers seat. Lots of big grins today!

Pretty wiped now though. I have to admit it was nice and relaxing to go for a drive in my hybrid this evening. It's a blast to drive the Viper, but all the attention, the heat, the sun, the concentration, all gets to you by the end of the day. Props to anyone that daily drives one!

Saw two Gen 5's out and about today, one red and one yellow! I had never seen a gen 5 until today and was cool to give them the waive in my own Viper!

Here's a couple clean pics with the iphone. Need to do a better detail when pollen isn't around and do some shots with my Nikon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Creatre/photo1_zpscf9b6e61.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/Creatre/photo2_zpsa845dd24.jpg

I'll stop spamming this thread now haha. Glad to be here though guys, dream come true. :)

MI Viper
04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Congrats, on the new snake. You will get alot of attention, and you will get used too it.... My wife side of the family is from Greenville, and actually we are in Hilton Head right now for Easter, they have a place on the May river in Bluffton. Sounds like Jon B is right again, look at your e-brake it's dragging and will eat a rotor(s) if you don't put new pads in ASAP.

Nine Ball
04-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Congrats on the new Viper! I like the red stripes, but it would look much better if they were painted on. Never was a fan of the gaps and cut seams they leave on body lines like the hood scoop area and rear bumper. The Invos are a good tire, and ride very well.

VYPR BYT
04-21-2014, 08:31 AM
... I'll stop spamming this thread now haha. Glad to be here though guys, dream come true. :)

Your enthusiasm is welcome here. :D

Besides, I think it's technically impossible to spam your own thread. lol
CONGRATZ!

Crotalidae
04-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Welcome aboard...your car looks fantastic!!!

TitleMine
04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
invos in rain INVOke an "oh Sh!+" response from Viper owners caught wet. Pilots / Pirellis are GREAT in wet. Invos / Cups / Toyos are decent when puddling......

100% agree. I have pilots on both my sets of wheels. There's no going back.

I love the stripes so much. If you get them painted, I think you should go for a brighter, crisper red though. That one is a little too rose colored I think.

Great car. I loved the 2003 I tried. You'll never put the top up in NC!

Mopar Boy
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Congrats on the car and welcome to the Viper Nation! Great place. You will love it here! :)

Jack's GTS
04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
I love them with the stripes.

viperr
04-22-2014, 02:11 PM
In the post the description of red stripes on the black made me wonder about how it would look. I really like it. It is very bold, but the way they put them down the back was especially nice. I have had vinyl stripes on mine for 4 years and they are holding up nicely. Enjoy the good weather and rack up some miles. By the way, I am from Washington and the plate and the rain look normal to me.

Creatre
04-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys!

Can't believe it's only Tuesday still, been a long week already. Looking forward to the weekend to do some more driving (and a lot more money spent on gas haha)!

98intrigue
04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Did you drive it home on Saturday? I flew to Philadelphia with a friend to pick up his '97 GTS on Friday and we drove it back to Tampa. Friday night was beautiful, but it rained/misted pretty much all day Saturday. 800+ miles in the rain was not fun, but luckily we didn't experience any hydroplaning.

Creatre
04-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Yup, was on Saturday. Not ideal for sure. I was happy to be home and have it in the garage in those conditions, and it was after only 150 miles. Every puddle was like an ice rink. :|

98intrigue
04-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Yikes. Glad you got home safe. My car has only been caught in the rain 4 times in the 2 years I've owned it...1 time hydroplaning was enough. I never want to experience that again.

Vipes
04-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Congrats! Nice ride.

GTSJoe
04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Congratulations. She is beautiful!

Viper98912
04-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Welcome! There's quite a few of us in the ATL area; I'm on the south side. Official club membership is here on VOA.

No hemi
05-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Just saw this thread lol, Congrats on the buy, beautiful car, see you around greenville, i'll also let you know when i am dopwn the ATL so we can meet too and maybe go racing or cruising .

ohlarikd
05-05-2014, 09:01 AM
I had a low speed squeaking - it was the e-brake pads, thanks to Jon B's advice. I swapped pads and pushed them out far enough to be worthless but non-squeaking. So far I have not needed to use the e-brake (put it in gear), so I will keep it in non-squeak mode for as long as I can. My pads were fine but still squeaked...