PDA

View Full Version : 1993 oil change question

Ohiotj
04-18-2014, 08:50 PM
So I changed the oil for the first time last week. First question is why in the heck is the oil filter in there like a puzzle piece? I had to stick my fingers in the filters threads and snake it out through the top. I couldn't grab it with my hand and In the process I spilled oil. Second is there a trick to keeping the oil filter gasket on while working with the limited space? I used a white mopar filter that said it was for a gen 1. However the gasket kept falling out of its channel. Last is I have noticed oil slowly leaking onto my floor after it sat for a few days. I wiped my hand on the filter and it was dry. I am pretty sure I got the filter gasket on good but it is a tough spot to see. It doesn't seem to be losing any oil on the dip stick and oil pressure is fine. Any ideas?

RoyV101621
04-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I change the filter while under the car. I pre-lube the gasket and monster hand tighten the new filter on. I've never had a leak or needed a wrench to take the filter off. Jay Herberts' trick is to place newspaper on the frame rail before removing the old filter. This is to keep the dripping oil off the frame. I've never had the filter gasket pull free from the filter.

Ohiotj
04-19-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't know the filter can be grabbed from underneath. It was pretty tight there. Both the new filter and the used one had the same gasket and it was sitting there loose and easily came off. I will try the newspaper idea. It may prevent the extra drainage.