PDA

View Full Version : Corsa Xtreme before and after on 2013 GTS

genVer
04-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Thought I would post a video for everyone and share some thoughts on my new Corsa Xtreme installation. I searched for and watched the few available videos on Corsa for the Gen V but really couldn't tell much difference. In the end I was swayed to do this upgrade by both my previous experience with Corsa on a Corvette and the positive reviews I read on Viper forums.

This is a direct comparison between stock exhaust and Corsa Xtreme on a 2013 GTS. Both videos were taken from the same distance, in the same location by the same camera. Both times the car was started, revved once to 2500 rpm then twice to 3000rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXELM25OYZg

While there doesn't seem to be a startling difference between the two in this video, the difference is pronounced during wide open throttle runs. I absolutely love the new sound!

The Corsa exhaust is marketed as having reduced drone on the highway however I feel the tone of the stock exhaust, while cruising at 80mph, to be more livable than the Corsa. That being said, I didn't buy the exhaust for this reason so it's not that big of a deal to me.

I would definitely recommend this upgrade to anyone who wants a more aggressive sound than stock.

Boba Fett
04-18-2014, 11:14 PM
thank u. Im actually on the fence about doing this exact mod

Policy Limits
04-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Been on the fence myself. Thnx for sharing. I think if the factory made a single pipe and then split them into side pipes it might sound better? I hear they used to but heat was a concern? I saw a vid with Ralph acknowledging the sound is something that needs to be worked on. Looks like an exotic supercar but sounds like a UPS truck. A friend with a R8 V10 with Tubi is probably the best sound I've heard a ten cylinder motor make. In the end the sound of the Corsa is too similar to stock to justify the effort & expense of the upgrade for me.

Derek Short
04-19-2014, 11:02 AM
I saw a vid with Ralph acknowledging the sound is something that needs to be worked on. Looks like an exotic supercar but sounds like a UPS truck. A friend with a R8 V10 with Tubi is probably the best sound I've heard a ten cylinder motor make. In the end the sound of the Corsa is too similar to stock to justify the effort & expense of the upgrade for me.

Just watch a video of a r8 v10 with tubi and that is how an exotic should sound. The viper is lacking in that area. Viper still sounds good don't get me wrong, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Boba Fett
04-19-2014, 02:02 PM
In the end the sound of the Corsa is too similar to stock to justify the effort & expense of the upgrade for me.

this makes a lot of sense and is probably going to sum it up for me...

Stealth
04-19-2014, 03:16 PM
I believe the Viper sound has has to do with the firing order of the cylinders. until that is changed to redesign the motor sound is going to be as it is. other v 10 motors like the Porsche Carrera GT and the Audi / Lamborghini gallardo have a different design.

the Corsa exhaust on my gen 4 Viper made a huge improvement on Sound

Policy Limits
04-19-2014, 05:50 PM
From what I've heard on YouTube the sound coming from behind the Ten Cylinder Huracan is the stuff dreams are made of. Can't wait to test drive one.

Voice of Reason
04-19-2014, 06:45 PM
From that video the Corsa sounds slightly deeper but still essentially the same sound, which makes sense, there's only so much you can do with a muffler.

Jack B
04-19-2014, 06:53 PM
As long as it is a side pipe car, it is a five cylinder sound. A catless Gen2 with a good set of headers can sound as mean as most muscle cars. You probably save 50 lbs and some height by going to side pipes so it is a tough decision, sound or performance. The Balengers with a corsa muffler has a very good sound when you are on the throttle. I will try to to get a sound clip this weekend.

I believe the Viper sound has has to do with the firing order of the cylinders. until that is changed to redesign the motor sound is going to be as it is. other v 10 motors like the Porsche Carrera GT and the Audi / Lamborghini gallardo have a different design.

the Corsa exhaust on my gen 4 Viper made a huge improvement on Sound

genVer
04-19-2014, 09:06 PM
I've had it for a couple of days now and all I can say is WOW. It sounds ferocious when you get on it! :drive:

V10 Snake
04-21-2014, 10:21 PM
is this just a muffler swap? Is it the same inlet diameter as stock muffler?

V10 Snake
04-21-2014, 10:22 PM
had the corsa on my Gen IV and made a big difference. but the Gen V exhaust is a lot better from the factory than the Gen IV so unless you add headers don't know if I would do it

ViperSmith
04-21-2014, 10:24 PM
is this just a muffler swap? Is it the same inlet diameter as stock muffler?

Yeah 4-5 hour job

SilveRT8
04-22-2014, 12:33 AM
The Corsa made a nice improvement in sound on my car. Sounds better in real life from inside the car than the video may suggest.
I would not go back to the stock one.

Lawrenzo
08-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Does your car still have the drone?

SilveRT8
08-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Yes, there's still some drone with the Corsa, not that it's annoying but it's still present, although a bit less than stock, Corsa did not eliminate it like they said they would.
From listening to this video, there's not a big difference in sound form outside the car, just a notch deeper and louder, but from inside the tone is much better than stock, like meaner and more satisfying to hear. I love it !

genVer
08-11-2014, 01:11 PM
There is a very noticeable drone while cruising on the highway but it doesn't usually bother me; the difference in tone when driving aggressively has been well worth it for me! I've been asked several times by passengers how I'm able to handle it though lol.

Lawrenzo
08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
There is a very noticeable drone while cursing on the highway.

My wife and I were cursing the drone on the highway just yesterday.

cashcorn
08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I've been thinking about doing this for awhile too. I would prefer to also add high flow cats. Should give a nice rumble over the corsa. I think Dan C has done this?

Late Apex
08-11-2014, 09:24 PM
I believe Tomball Dodge did one recently with the full Belanger set up on a Gen V and everyone said it was VERY loud as a Viper should be. I love the install they did on my ACR. Nice post on the Corsa.

genVer
08-12-2014, 01:13 AM
My wife and I were cursing the drone on the highway just yesterday.
lol oops!

mjorgensen
08-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I believe Tomball Dodge did one recently with the full Belanger set up on a Gen V and everyone said it was VERY loud as a Viper should be. I love the install they did on my ACR. Nice post on the Corsa.

We did recently;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Woodhouse-Motorsports-Division/167968157736

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgJCUCfMaYc

There are also other videos of all the other combos on the pages if you scroll through.

TitleMine
08-13-2014, 01:36 AM
I believe the Viper sound has has to do with the firing order of the cylinders.

It's the motor layout. A flat-plane crank V8 with a very high redline will always sound very different than the Viper, with it's traditional crossplane engine. The best tuning and exhaust in the world won't make a Viper sound like an Eisenmann M6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCR8hJHUhII

or a Lexus LFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4OAAyMNWJQ

which both have a flat-plane V10. That banshee wail you associate with a Gallardo/Carrera GT/etc. is all the result of this engine layout. Watch videos of the new Mustang 350 at the 'ring, which is rumored to have a flat-plane V8 (Like the Ferrari 458, and in contrast to, say, a Challenger or a Corvette, which have cross-plane V8s). The engine is still deep, but you definitely get a little bit of that high-RPM Ferrari scream that can probably be amped up with aftermarket exhausts and tuning. That thing looks sick if you need a sporty DD.

Anyway, I have a full Belanger system on my 01 ACR and it sounds like a really nasty muscle car. It has all the subtlety of a hammer, but oh well, so does the car! I think that's what you have to go for with the Viper if you really want a kickin' sound out of the car, you can't duplicate the sound of an 8400RPM redline cross-plain in this car. I just accepted that it's going to sound beefy rather than Italian, and I love it, but YMMV.

Nobody hates on the Belanger sound though. I've never heard a single detraction about it.

SilveRT8
08-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Just love the deep rich sound of the full Belanger exhaust.
How's the drone on this set-up ? Can you comment on highway cruising between 2,000 and 2,400 rpm

cashcorn
08-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Yes. same as above ^^^^^^^ Would also like to know if anybody has dynode the full Belanger exhaust.