PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Side Pipes

Goatman
04-18-2014, 04:20 PM
I am getting rid of the rear exit exhaust on my Gen2. I just feel that side pipes is the way the Viper should be. So I am fixing it.

In the next couple weeks I will be cutting up my side sills on my Gen 2 and fitting them with side pipes. I want to do the majority of the work myself. I was wondering from the guys on here that have done it themselves if there are any tips for this? I am stoked to do this, get ready for loud! Pictures and hints are extremely appreciated.

slitherv10
04-18-2014, 04:50 PM
I have been thinking the same thing for my 96 GTS but, a few things to consider.....

1. The car will sound different as you are now putting pipes to each side which, you will only be listening to one pipe at a time instead of both pipes with the rhythm of the lobe. In turn it will sound quitter because of that.

2. You and most Gen 2 owners have cars that are unique in that they have rear exit exhaust as compared to the normal. Be a leader not a follower.

3. more fumes and more noise. Noise will get deeper sounding because of the shorter run. More UPS sounding instead of the usual crackling rhythm

4. your tearing up 1600 dollar each ...sills. Yikes !!

Up to you of course, but, those reasons especially the first 2, changed my mind for sure. I am sticking to the rear exhaust and its unique nature of being a Gen 2 GTS !!

Goatman
04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
My first Viper was a Gen 1, I know exactly how it is. I miss it completely.

jdeft1
04-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Been there. I still ask myself that question...?

As for side pipes in A GEN 2. Why not save the stock setup and get some aftermarket sills Goat (I hate to see good, stock parts get cut up) ? I'd search the other forums for a quick answer if I were you.

Cheers

ICPREY
04-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Hit up Dave666 on the alley, he has done it with good results.

slitherv10
04-18-2014, 07:20 PM

Autoform has some nice side pipe alternatives for a good price.

Indy
04-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Side pipes look great...but the sound from a rear exit set-up will be more complete, and remember, if you don't change the rear bumper, you will have a big gaping hole in the back...

Goatman
04-18-2014, 10:49 PM
I know how you guys feel about cutting up original parts. But its the way I want it. Also its not in my budget to buy new sills and have them painted. About the hole in the rear, I plan on making a panel out of aluminum and riveting it in until I get my rear diffuser. :)

Bugman Jeff
04-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Autoform sells sidepipe covers made specifically for Gen II conversions:
http://www.autoformgroup.com/autoformgroup/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=40&category_id=103&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

They also make Gen I replica covers if you like the gen I look:
http://www.autoformgroup.com/autoformgroup/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=149&category_id=103&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

At $1200/pair for the Gen II's, and $1600 for the Gen I's, you can buy a pair for what one of your stock covers is worth. You could save your originals in case you ever want to go back or sell them and be money ahead in the end.

RTTTTed
04-18-2014, 11:42 PM
http://thevipergarage.com/index.php/topic,46.0.html has some pics. I think that Dave did a How To for his sidepipes on that How To board on thevipergarage.com as well.

RTTTTed
04-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Here's Dave6666's sidepipe conversion How To http://thevipergarage.com/index.php/topic,472.0.html

Rizzo
04-19-2014, 12:02 AM
The rear exhaust sounds WAY better. Ive had a gen 2 a gen 3 and now a gen 4 and by far the best sound was out of the gen 2. I wish my gen 4 had rear exit. Ive always thought the side pipes sound like crap on vipers. On my Cobra they sound great but the v10 just doesnt sound right in my opinion. I would leave the rear exit if i were you.

RTTTTed
04-19-2014, 12:49 AM
At VOI X I spoke with a Corsa technitian. He told me that the reason the Corsa sounds so good on a Gen 2 is because the pipe is 3" mandrel bent pipe that is about 6 times the length of the sidepipes straight piping. Besides the sound cancellation technology that gives the Corsa it's unique sound (only exhaust with NO drone at highway speeds) the length of the pipe allows the exhaust pulses to lengthen and "mellow out" before exiting the pipe. Even a sidepipe system I would recomend Corsa only. JonB can explain why the Corsa exhaust is the ONLY ONE without hwy drone.

Anyway, I thought I'd just add this since Rizzo brought it up. He is correct. Some people like the lighterweight and simplicity of the sidepipes, but they can't sound as good with the pipes being so short.

slitherv10
04-19-2014, 07:14 AM
The rear exhaust sounds WAY better. Ive had a gen 2 a gen 3 and now a gen 4 and by far the best sound was out of the gen 2. I wish my gen 4 had rear exit. Ive always thought the side pipes sound like crap on vipers. On my Cobra they sound great but the v10 just doesnt sound right in my opinion. I would leave the rear exit if i were you.

What he said

Goatman
04-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all the opinions, but I am not swayed. I will still cut up my sills. Just looking for some tips from people who have done it.

I will try Dave on the Alley, it seems most the pictures are no longer available on the Garage. Maybe I could encourage him with a case of beer to help me out.

LifeIsGood
04-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Send him a PM on the Alley with your email address and he'll probably email you the pictures. He's a good dude...very helpful. Although he went with the AutoForm sills...some of the pictures should be helpful.

Shooter
04-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I agree. Side exit rocks. Put a diffuser over the hole in the back like you said and your good to go. It's exactly what I will do when I P/U a Gen II.

Welcome to the Houston Viper club btw.

C.J
04-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Goatman, why not sell your OEM sills and get the Autoforms? You'll have extra dough for the new exhaust.

I love the look of the side exhaust. Good luck with your conversion!

slitherv10
04-19-2014, 09:14 PM
are you able to fit the cats and muffler in that area?...I know when I looked into it....it seemed a little tight although everything cold line up one after the other with no spacing I guess....how about the rear O2 sensors...wont they be affected? Will the car need to be tuned since the air flow and back pressure are going to be altered?

Goatman
04-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks Shooter, I will see you around this time home, if you are there as well.

Slither, There are a few challenges in getting them fitted. But what are these Cats you speak of? I though this was a viper forum.... LOL Just kidding, I don't run cats, Rear O2's are taken care of with dummy sensors, and yes I will have the car tuned when my project is done. My current set up is 3" straight pipes with 4" tips. Its a race car. Also this will probably tame the noise down a bit.

C.J, the autoform sills are nice. But I am an instant gratification kinda guy, so waiting on a sale, buying new sills, having them painted, and then finally installing them. That's just too much time for me. SO they are going under the knife!

RPM9000
04-20-2014, 07:25 PM
I have Autoforms on my Gen.1. They are great and you can order them already painted in the color of your car. By the way the Gen.1 is going up for sale soon.

VoodooRob
04-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Put side pipes on, cut it up, hell 8" stacks if you want! Its your car, your $. The GTS looks good with side pipes, I just don't want the noise on my personal car. Post pics of your conversion!

Sybil TF
04-21-2014, 03:11 PM
and remember, if you don't change the rear bumper, you will have a big gaping hole in the back...:lol2:

Goatman
04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks Sybil for the laugh. I plan on cutting a sheet of aluminum, painting it black, and riveting it in place until I get a rear diffuser. Maybe I'll test my fab skills and try for a design of some sort.

Goatman
04-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey RPM, what made you go to the dark side? I thought you loved your Gen 1. If I remember you were putting down some good numbers.

slitherv10
04-21-2014, 08:01 PM
How are you going to proceed with this project?

How are you going to line up the hole with the pipe?

How far back are you going?

Are you still able to get the muffler and cats (if your putting any) within the length before the out pipe.

How are you bending your tip or are you buying one, round oval or rectangular?

I am thinking about this myself as I am currently refinishing my sills and this is the time to do this. If you could do a small list of beginning to end it would be helpful.

RPM9000
04-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Hey RPM, what made you go to the dark side? I thought you loved your Gen 1. If I remember you were putting down some good numbers.
I still have the Gen.1 but it will be for sale soon. I can't afford to keep it. It's a great car with close to 500 RWHP plus I have 3 sets of wheels and tires and many extra parts. When Andy put his ACR up for sale I couldn't pass it up.