PDA

View Full Version : The Paint Coating thread

cashcorn
04-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Hey Viper Girl, Did you ever go ahead with the Xpel Ultimate. I'm looking as well.

Viper Girl
04-17-2014, 07:05 PM
We just got it detailed the *right* way... Havent decided yet about the Xpel or the new ceramic coating.

So many decisions

http://nervousspeaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/fisheye_nervous_iStock_000003688168Medium1-900x300.jpg

it might come down to a little of both

cashcorn
04-17-2014, 07:17 PM
I understand.. I really need to see the Xpel in person. My only real concerns are the seams on the entire hood..

Viper Girl
04-17-2014, 07:22 PM
We should really start a thread in the SoCal area... but I think the installer is the most important part.

bad installer = never looks right

Stealth
04-17-2014, 07:32 PM
I use Jay Miller who is out of the Santa Barbara area and just comes down when he gets a few cars lined up. He does excellent work, including many custom pieces.

Viper Girl
04-17-2014, 07:44 PM
I moved all the posts not relavent to the IL region Xpel install to here.

Sorry it needed to be it's own thread...

Viper Girl
04-17-2014, 08:09 PM
I just read about an installer in Chatsworth who placed 2nd in a Nat'l competition for certified xpel installers. valley clear bra (http://www.valleyclearbra.com/)

For me Jay in SB would likely be closer...

GT Venum
04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
but I think the installer is the most important part.

bad installer = never looks right

Viper Girl you are 100% correct and whatever you decide do not let anyone cut the film on your car with a razor.

Viper Girl
04-18-2014, 10:17 AM
How should an installer do this? Is there a template being used to make the pattern?

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 10:36 AM
How should an installer do this? Is there a template being used to make the pattern?

I would find an installer that uses the Xpel kits. I know they fit very well as I just did my front bumper, full fenders, full rockers, door sills, the area above the windshield, the top of the rear bumper and the area behind the rear tires. I am waiting for my 60" film so I can do the whole hood. The kits are nearly perfect and from 3' away you will never see it on the car. Plus being a black car you wouldn't have to worry as much about the swirls. All the kits I have installed on Vipers fit perfectly without any trimming with a razor.

Be sure to tell the installer that you do not want him or her to trim anything on your car with a razor.

Viper Girl
04-18-2014, 10:44 AM
ah, ok so there are already kits out for the Gen V.. awesome

Thanks GT Venum

slitherv10
04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I use Jay Miller who is out of the Santa Barbara area and just comes down when he gets a few cars lined up. He does excellent work, including many custom pieces.

As per the quote from GT Venum.

a guy like Jay Miller will and always has cut the pieces on the car as most cars today are custom and there are no re cut versions to go by. There is nothing wrong with having them cut right on the car as a good installer does not need to touch the car what's or ever to make the pieces fit properly.

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 04:22 PM
As per the quote from GT Venum.

a guy like Jay Miller will and always has cut the pieces on the car as most cars today are custom and there are no re cut versions to go by. There is nothing wrong with having them cut right on the car as a good installer does not need to touch the car what's or ever to make the pieces fit properly.

I can only go by my experience, for the last 6 year I have been installing film and have even gone to class to learn to free hand cut film. There are advantages to the installer to free hand cut film with a razor (1. It is a lot quicker 2. You save on film because you have less waste 3. You save money since you do not have to pay a monthly fee to use someone's kits 4. You don't have to purchase a $6-7,000 plotter to cut the kits). When at class the instructors that each had 6-8 years of experience of cutting film with a razor on the paint and they cut the paint on almost every piece they installed during training. We even watched them install film on a customers car during the class and during lunch I pulled up one of the corners and the paint was cut.

I have also had to remove film for one reason or another to install a new piece and every piece that I have removed that was hand cut had cut marks on the paint around the corners. Now I can not speak for other installers, this is just my experience with the cars that I have removed film from other installers. In other areas maybe they can cut the film with out cutting the paint but I in 6 years have not seen it done.

The below photo I removed the film off this car and you could not see the cut marks until the film was removed. That is not a fun call to make to the owner of the car and tell them their paint is cut.

In terms of custom kits I have not come across a car yet that I could not get a kit for to do the basics (hood, fenders, mirrors and bumpers).

The most important thing is to find a good installer that you can trust before you give them your Viper to work on.

slitherv10
04-18-2014, 04:42 PM
I have the aftermarket Autoform GTS-R fascia with the extra racing lights in the middle of the bumper and the bumper is totally different than the original.

I have been told by a few installers that that bumper is not available in precut versions , so, it would look like a custom cut on the car job. Which I am hoping goes well and no cuts on my completely redun fresh painted front fascia.

Does anyone know how long to wait until installing 3M or what not on a freshly painted car.

cashcorn
04-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Sounds to me like GT Venum knows his trade!! Man you need to come to so cal..

Viper Girl
04-18-2014, 05:51 PM
I've heard 6 months on fresh paint... something about it has to cure and breathe?

Also I wonder about the new ceramic coatings... how long after fresh paint can they be installed? Seems like that would also seal the paint like the xpel

slitherv10
04-18-2014, 06:05 PM
I've heard 6 months on fresh paint... something about it has to cure and breathe?

Also I wonder about the new ceramic coatings... how long after fresh paint can they be installed? Seems like that would also seal the paint like the xpel

6 MONTHS !!

No....I heard from 2 weeks to a month...depending on the clear coat and the application the painter used. Not 6 months. How would someone keep their freshly painted car without stone ships , unless they stored it for 6 months after a paintjob. I can't see that.

cashcorn
04-18-2014, 06:25 PM
I think with the new cars, including the viper. the clear coat & paint gets baked on at 500 degree's and does not need to cure. this is what bmw told me on my 08 650i.

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 07:06 PM
With a new car you don't have to wait but a repaint needs to wait 30-45 days.

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 07:12 PM
I have the aftermarket Autoform GTS-R fascia with the extra racing lights in the middle of the bumper and the bumper is totally different than the original.

I have been told by a few installers that that bumper is not available in precut versions , so, it would look like a custom cut on the car job. Which I am hoping goes well and no cuts on my completely redun fresh painted front fascia.

Does anyone know how long to wait until installing 3M or what not on a freshly painted car.

Yes anything that is not factory then you will have to have someone custom cut it on the car. Here again I would ask a lot of question and have him wrap as many edges as possible.

You need to wait at least 30-45 days before having it installed.

slitherv10
04-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Yes anything that is not factory then you will have to have someone custom cut it on the car. Here again I would ask a lot of question and have him wrap as many edges as possible.

You need to wait at least 30-45 days before having it installed.

What do you mean when you say" have him wrap as many edges". What edges and why?

GT Venum
04-18-2014, 09:47 PM
If you wrap the edges then you are not cutting on the car but leaving the film a little long and then sticking it down on the back side.