PDA

View Full Version : homelink options

Ninjakris
11-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Does anyone know if there is any direct replacement mirrors for our cars (06 coupe) that have the homelink buttons on them? I don't mind having garage door openers, but if I can do a simple replacement with a different mopar vehicle, I would be happy. My Honda ridgeline has it and its very convenient. I did some searching on other forums and everything was very outdated. I don't mind doing a module in the visor, but mirror would be better. Thanks for any help.

malcoll
11-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I've been looking at them for awhile... and I believe that just about any Homelink mirror could be wired and installed. Go to ebay and type in Gentex....... they have some versions that have the compass integrated, and with map lights on the bottom..... I've seen them as low as $130....... I just have not had the time to order one and install it to test this theory. If you do...post up!

Ninjakris
11-03-2013, 04:01 PM
I'll check that out. It just seems like out of all the dodge/Chrysler vehicles made, there would have been at least one of them with the homelink option on the mirror that would be plug and play with the vipers mirror. I guess not... If/when I do this, I will make a how to post.

malcoll
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Anyone done this yet?

Ninjakris
12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
I haven't messed with it yet. We are moving into a new house next month and I already purchased a garage door opener that has networking capabilities, so I can just use my smart phone to open/close/monitor the door.

Some things to ponder.... There is power at the mirror, and its incredibly easy to tap into the hot/neutral. I just did this for my radar detector. I think you could get generic homelink transmitter like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STONE-GRAY-NEUTRAL-ROLLING-CODE-VISOR-HOMELINK-TRANSMITTER-SWITCH-CONTROL-OEM-/360825307541?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5402dd4195&vxp=mtr

and just tap into the mirror power. No need to run any new wires through headliner..... The hard part will be making it a clean install. I'm still thinking the easiest option is either replacing the mirror with a different brand, or retrofitting a visor with the homelink buttons. the only issue there is running power.

LATAMUD
12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
I looked into this a couple years ago. Bought a mirror and a visor from different cars. The mirror has to be able to mount at a sharp angle to account for the slope of the windshield. The mirror I bought didn't work, out of a BMW or Mercedez I think. I have a sun visor but my vert doesn't have sun visors and I don't want to put them back in. I tinted the top of my windshield and that takes care of the glare. I've thought to mod the home link visor insert into the center console somewhere.

Rocket
12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
The challenge is trying to find a mirror with the courtesy/map light. I picked one up on ebay about a year ago and never installed it - but plan to at some point. I think the one I picked up was originally for a scion - Gentex part number 00016-21215.

The one thing I did not like about this particular mirror is the size as it appears to be substantially larger than the oem mirror.

Might have to tackle this project since you reminded me of it.

Black Adder
12-30-2013, 07:15 PM
All the Gentex mirrors I looked at didn't have the interior lights that our mirriors have

cobraken
12-31-2013, 06:20 PM
I have the gentecs in 2 of my cars. They have the map lights with a temp and direction display. More surface area than a stock Viper. You do lose the alarm light though.

Black Adder
12-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Cobra - What is the part number as it sounds perfect

cobraken
01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
I will get out to the storeage in a few days to see if I can read the # on a mirror.

victoryman100
01-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know if there is any direct replacement mirrors for our cars (06 coupe) that have the homelink buttons on them? I don't mind having garage door openers, but if I can do a simple replacement with a different mopar vehicle, I would be happy. My Honda ridgeline has it and its very convenient. I did some searching on other forums and everything was very outdated. I don't mind doing a module in the visor, but mirror would be better. Thanks for any help.Just out of curiosity, Is the end result just eliminating having to fumble for your garage door opener? If so, I eliminated mine VERY EASILY. As I ride harley davidson Motorcycles as well, Harley davidson makes a garage door opener kit for their Harleys( I have one installed on mine). All it consist of is 4 wires. 1) a switched Batt. 2) ground 3) High beam signal and 4) low beam signal. Very simple to install. takes about 30 min. as I am pulling up the drive way just hit your flash to pass and up the door goes. pull inside , flash to pass again and down she goes. Easy install, NO more garage door opener fumbling in the dark. Inside your garage is a reciver, included in the kit. simple two wire connection at your garage door motor. I have a 04 srt 10 vert I installed mine on works PERFECTLY.

Black Adder
01-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Now that leads to an idea. A lot of the remotes use small 12 volt batteries. You could remove the battery and connect a couple of wires to ground and to your main beam feed. If you can short out the button on the remote (or hold it in the on position somehow) then everytime you flashed your headlights to main beam the remote would power up and send its signal to the garge door opener.

Snakebit
01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, Is the end result just eliminating having to fumble for your garage door opener? If so, I eliminated mine VERY EASILY. As I ride harley davidson Motorcycles as well, Harley davidson makes a garage door opener kit for their Harleys( I have one installed on mine). All it consist of is 4 wires. 1) a switched Batt. 2) ground 3) High beam signal and 4) low beam signal. Very simple to install. takes about 30 min. as I am pulling up the drive way just hit your flash to pass and up the door goes. pull inside , flash to pass again and down she goes. Easy install, NO more garage door opener fumbling in the dark. Inside your garage is a reciver, included in the kit. simple two wire connection at your garage door motor. I have a 04 srt 10 vert I installed mine on works PERFECTLY.

I would be very interested in seeing pics of your install. I just got my first Viper (2006 VOI9 coupe) and ride a CVO Harley with the garage door opener. I see where additional transmitters are available for pairing with the receiver I already have, so this sounds like the perfect solution.

RDV-001
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Here in Europe there are a few nice alternatives. Horman made a 2 button cig. lighter remote

What I did to some cars in the family is take the remote and solder 2 wires to the button. Then I installed a nice looking 1 or 2 way button under the steering column and wire it to the prepared remote. In that way it is concealed and you can have a remote door operen nicely installed.

Roland