PDA

View Full Version : Gen II restorers-how do you deal with the rear bumper?

TitleMine
04-15-2014, 11:04 AM
I was wondering this while washing the car this weekend. The rear bumper of the Gen II has those raised, adhesive-looking letters on them. If something were ever to happen to the rear bumper, how on earth do you repaint over those? Can you buy them somewhere?

Just musing.

Uncle Paul
04-15-2014, 11:06 AM
They are just stuck on with adhesive. You warm them up, and run some dental floss between them and the bumper. Off in just a few seconds. Use solvent to remove the residual adhesive. Then buy some new ones to stick back on.

Bugman Jeff
04-15-2014, 11:18 AM
If you want a color match, they can be prepped and painted over with the rest of the bumper. If they're beat up, missing, or a contrasting color, they can still be found new too, ranging from $50-$200 depending on color.

TitleMine
04-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Ok, that's good to know. I fear the stone chips down the road, so it's nice to know that $150 worth of stickers will set things right.

Indy
04-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Yes, those rear letters are stuck on after the bumper was painted, so even if you were to take them off, you still have paint under them....I took the Dodge letters off and kept the RT10 letters on the rear bumper - with a hair dryer they come off quite easy.

gerch85
04-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Mine doesnt have any emblems