PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody learn me what the whole "rep" thing is?

Troublemaker
11-01-2013, 05:07 PM
I have received two and honestly have no idea what it is. I understand the concept but don't really understand how to use the system. Thanks for the two that gave it to me, but I really wish I understood what I received and how to give it in the future.

plumcrazy
11-01-2013, 06:15 PM
if a poster posts something you like or dont like, let him know via rep. its also a quick way to send a note to a buddy

Troublemaker
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks, the problem is I can't figure out how to do it.

whitebeard
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
I will add a video to the "How To" section. But Rep is the ability to send someone a note that you approve or disapprove their message. It is smaller than a PM, but will give others the ability by score to see how well respected individuals are in the community.

JonB ~ PartsRack
11-01-2013, 06:28 PM
If you click on the cops-badge star at the bottom of every post that is NOT your own, it generates a PM-like response. Like an Attaboy.

Maybe its a Sheriffs badge?
Trooper's Badge?
It is definitely NOT a marshalls badge.......

Some secret modulator-moderator somewhere over the rainbow is tabulating the results. Its like Frequent Poster Miles..... you dont get anything but a bigger number, and it needs to be BIG to even be seen!

Troublemaker
11-01-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm computer illiterate, but I do understand to click on the badge. Thanks.

slysnake
11-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Ah, It says a comment or reason has to be given. OK, that's just too much work for me. lol

Item 7
11-16-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm not a big fan of the "rep" thing. Some auto enthusiast sites offer members an opportunity to say "thanks" for particularly insightful or entertaining posts. Why not go that route?

I get the impression from other similar car enthusiast sites (you know who you are) that the accumulation of "reps" almost becomes a goal in itself for persons who appear to devote a considerable part of each day to posting on a website. For personal reasons, I think I'd generally want to avoid associating with folks who count among their significant accomplishments thousands of posts to this (or any) website.

More importantly, I've noticed a tendency of the Rep-Fanatics to discourage independent views, or contributions from others who don't share their outlook. Almost as if higher rep counts equate with legitimacy, reliability or value. It's mostly nonsense. I'd rather encourage contributions and participation from occasional or infrequent car enthusiasts, or those with opposing or different points of view.

SmoknTires
11-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Good point. I gave you a rep comment for that. ;.)

BlknBlu
11-16-2013, 11:14 AM
great post, I had no idea either. gave reps to ya.

Bruce

Troublemaker
11-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm not a big fan of the "rep" thing. Some auto enthusiast sites offer members an opportunity to say "thanks" for particularly insightful or entertaining posts. Why not go that route?

I get the impression from other similar car enthusiast sites (you know who you are) that the accumulation of "reps" almost becomes a goal in itself for persons who appear to devote a considerable part of each day to posting on a website. For personal reasons, I think I'd generally want to avoid associating with folks who count among their significant accomplishments thousands of posts to this (or any) website.

More importantly, I've noticed a tendency of the Rep-Fanatics to discourage independent views, or contributions from others who don't share their outlook. Almost as if higher rep counts equate with legitimacy, reliability or value. It's mostly nonsense. I'd rather encourage contributions and participation from occasional or infrequent car enthusiasts, or those with opposing or different points of view.

I'm not saying that I agree with it or not. Somebody happen to give it to me and I had no idea what it was.