PDA

View Full Version : Looking to quiet down belanger exhaust somewhat...

ACR_VP
04-14-2014, 08:53 AM
The car with stock headers, no cats, and belanger exhaust is loud... I actually used my pro sound meter that I use for reading speakers and I forget the exact level, but inside the cabin with some revs it was plenty loud to cause permanent hearing loss.

I have a 2 year old and I'd really like her to be able to go on some rides. I'm still looking for it to be loud, but not ear damaging levels loud. I'm currently putting the car back together after swapping in some ported heads, intake, and some belanger headers. I know cat's would quiet the car down, but I'd rather retain the power without them (it's mostly a track car anyway).

I was wondering how much a bullet style muffler would reduce the volume to the existing setup. I've looked into spiral flows, but I hear they flow like crap, but I suppose they would still flow better than cats? Any suggestions???

IndyRon
04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
You really have 2 options with headers and no cats. Option 1 is stock mufflers (would be louder than stock since you now have headers and no cats). Option 2 would be the Corsa, no drone and is louder than stock exhaust but not as loud as some of the others like Bellanger/Dynomax/Borla, etc.

MtnBiker
04-14-2014, 09:44 AM
??

My car is loud too (I did not do cat delete). My 13 year old girl loves riding in it, and we crank her music up even louder :). But, please do protect the little one's ears (at least until she has her own iPod and headphones and then you can't do anything about it).

Indy
04-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Another option is to install some sound deadening materials throughout the the interior. There are some really good products that will help a lot with interior noise.

ViperTony
04-14-2014, 11:21 AM
I have Belanger headers, catback, RT cats on my setup and after the heads/cam/intake it was loud and I was getting flagged at the track for exceeding the decibel limit. I installed two additional Dynomax race bullets in the side sills where the stock resonators used to be. In essence, I'm running the original 4 muffler version Belanger came out with years ago. The additional race bullets took the edge off but still loud. Without cats on your setup the race bullets won't do anything for you. A few Viper owners installed Spiral Flow mufflers in place of their cats and this has helped them a little. If it's mostly a track car don't bother unless you're running into decibel issues at the track.

Coloviper
04-14-2014, 12:54 PM
I realize you want to keep cat-less, but these newer cars are meant to run with some backpressure dialed in. Even hi-flo ones will keep the noise levels down and will most definitely reduce the fumes and weird smells coming from the exhaust. It is not just the loud noises to watch our for with the little ones but the smells too. Don't know a 2 year old out there that likes the smell of a cat-less Viper. I am 40 and don't! Just something to consider!

RTTTTed
04-14-2014, 02:30 PM
I have Roe supercharger, ported heads, headers, Cat Delete, Corsa exhaust. My car is really loud (everybody loves it and it sounds awesome in Video) except at highway speeds and low throttle where the car is quiet. At highway speeds whispering is possible in my GTS.

ViperTony
04-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Oh and I love it loud. But can't hear much anymore. I'm ok with that trade-off though. :dude3:

City
04-14-2014, 03:34 PM
I realize you want to keep cat-less, but these newer cars are meant to run with some backpressure dialed in. Even hi-flo ones will keep the noise levels down and will most definitely reduce the fumes and weird smells coming from the exhaust. It is not just the loud noises to watch our for with the little ones but the smells too. Don't know a 2 year old out there that likes the smell of a cat-less Viper. I am 40 and don't! Just something to consider!

Agreed. Don't know why you're allergic to hi-flow cats. To the best of my knowledge, they will only clean up your exhaust and lessen the decibel level a bit, without any loss of HP.

JonB ~ PartsRack
04-14-2014, 03:55 PM
I must have missed something.... THE YEAR MATTERS. How can anyone answer correctly without that most basic info?

SOME HF cats can flow more than massaged heads. Some cats have guaranteed CFM flow rates that can be quoted.

CORSA exhausts have been used to tame some Belanger model-years.....

Velocity-cone 'mufflers' have created legal-sound levels at LagunaSeca for some model-years-mods.

The car with stock headers, no cats, and belanger exhaust is loud... I actually used my pro sound meter that I use for reading speakers and I forget the exact level, but inside the cabin with some revs it was plenty loud to cause permanent hearing loss.

I have a 2 year old and I'd really like her to be able to go on some rides. I'm still looking for it to be loud, but not ear damaging levels loud. I'm currently putting the car back together after swapping in some ported heads, intake, and some belanger headers. I know cat's would quiet the car down, but I'd rather retain the power without them (it's mostly a track car anyway).

I was wondering how much a bullet style muffler would reduce the volume to the existing setup. I've looked into spiral flows, but I hear they flow like crap, but I suppose they would still flow better than cats? Any suggestions???

slowhatch
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
You really have 2 options with headers and no cats. Option 1 is stock mufflers (would be louder than stock since you now have headers and no cats). Option 2 would be the Corsa, no drone and is louder than stock exhaust but not as loud as some of the others like Bellanger/Dynomax/Borla, etc.

I would say the corsa's are even louder than the belangers at WOT high rpm, yet they don't drone and create resonance that loads the ears in the cabin at part throttle (like the belangers do).

ACR_VP
04-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Just way cheaper to add a muffler than a high flow cat and I'm cheap that was the thinking :-) its a '99 ACR btw