PDA

View Full Version : GenV did some laps at NJMP Thunderbolt

pMak26
03-21-2023, 06:57 PM
Just figured I'd share some laps from my first track day of the year. I love this car, it is utterly ridiculous.

Track is NJMP Thunderbolt, it was freezing in the morning (23*f) and only got up to high 40s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsithVSLzA

https://youtu.be/F466p1nP9Lw

str5010
03-22-2023, 07:01 AM
Really leaning on the aero, awesome pace! Thanks for posting. Watching the WEC race at Sebring last weekend made me laugh when the commentary team was going on and on about tire warmers being outlawed this year and then thinking of the standard conditions we see in the North East. If I can get my car finished I'm hoping to shake it down at NJMP on April 8

GTS Dean
03-22-2023, 07:12 AM
cold, dense air makes the aero more effective for sure

abashoe
03-22-2023, 11:17 PM
Very nice. Good times!

Are you going to the April 24 NJMP-L event with NETC? I am a future viper owner (16' GT4 now) and would love to pick your brain.

Al

pMak26
03-23-2023, 08:43 AM
Very nice. Good times!

Are you going to the April 24 NJMP-L event with NETC? I am a future viper owner (16' GT4 now) and would love to pick your brain.

Al

I should be, yes. But I need to figure out what tires to order and get them swapped onto my track wheels before then. Here are the options, not sure what I'll go with:

Front Toyo Proxes RR 315/30zr18
Rear Toyo Proxes RR 345/35zr18

Front Hoosier R7 315/30zr18
Rear Hoosier R7 345/35zr18

Front Pirelli Pzero DH 305/645/18
Rear Pirelli Pzero DH 325/705/18

Rear Yokohama A005 N2844 300/650r18
Front Yokohama A005 N2888 330/710r18

Front Michelin 30/65r18
Rear Michelin 33/68r18

txA&M08
03-23-2023, 09:43 AM
Looking fast out there! Love to see it

str5010
03-23-2023, 09:57 AM
For what it's worth I've been running those Michelins and Pirellis over the last few years having previously been on R7s. For me the Michelins were a little quicker when new, but the Pirellis held a higher average pace for longer so that was better for my budget and application. They're both substantial quicker than the R7 as you might expect.

pMak26
03-23-2023, 10:22 AM
For what it's worth I've been running those Michelins and Pirellis over the last few years having previously been on R7s. For me the Michelins were a little quicker when new, but the Pirellis held a higher average pace for longer so that was better for my budget and application. They're both substantial quicker than the R7 as you might expect.

This!! This is exactly the information I'm looking for and I can't thank you enough!

13COBRA
03-23-2023, 11:15 AM

Interesting!

How many heat cycles do you get out of your Pirellis?

str5010
03-23-2023, 12:28 PM
Disclaimer up front, your milage may vary as I don't get to run enough each year to provide definitive metrics. For example I ran a set of sticker Pirellis at VRL Indy in October and then used them for a few sessions at Watkins Glen the next week where they still had pace. But now they've been sitting inside all winter and surely will be good for nothing more than a shakedown in terms of pace even with me driving. Not really a fair evaluation of that set.

Most of the time I run scrubs so I'm not starting from a known position each time, but on average I'll get 10 -12 cycles on a set of Pirellis where as Michelins were a stretch to hit double digits. Also, I found that the Michelins were more succeptible to cold cracking than the Pirellis.

13COBRA
03-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Disclaimer up front, your milage may vary as I don't get to run enough each year to provide definitive metrics. For example I ran a set of sticker Pirellis at VRL Indy in October and then used them for a few sessions at Watkins Glen the next week where they still had pace. But now they've been sitting inside all winter and surely will be good for nothing more than a shakedown in terms of pace even with me driving. Not really a fair evaluation of that set.

Most of the time I run scrubs so I'm not starting from a known position each time, but on average I'll get 10 -12 cycles on a set of Pirellis where as Michelins were a stretch to hit double digits. Also, I found that the Michelins were more succeptible to cold cracking than the Pirellis.

Good info! Thanks.

I tried Pirellis on my Gen IV..and ended up liking the Michelins more, and that's what I run on my VCC. It's always so interesting hearing everyone's opinions on tires and such; a lot of it just comes down to personal preference and the way you rationalize in your head haha

str5010
03-23-2023, 05:24 PM
If I had the budget I'd run new Michelins for sure, but I don't haha.

pMak26
03-24-2023, 08:29 AM
What are y'alls camber specs? I'm running near factory ACRE camber right now, so -2.9*F and -1.8*R. By looking at my wear I need a little more in the rear but front looked pretty bang on.
I'm an idiot and left my thermo/pyrometer at home. Doh!

Bill Pemberton
03-24-2023, 11:52 AM
With the cost of tires going up there are more and more folks grabbing a set of used race rubber and it is getting to a point where you want to buy early, since the supply runs out sooner.

The Toyo RRs are slower than R7s, but they wear a long time , so they may be a choice if you are mainly doing HPDEs and not Time Trials.

pMak26
03-24-2023, 12:26 PM
It's more of a TT car. I'm not out here trying to run 20min sessions. I'm fine with running a 2-3 laps hard then backing off and cooling everything and running another lap or 2 depending on the track and day.

Essentially, I'm happy to run whatever is the fastest tire you can get; which sounds like the Michelins right now, until they get 2 or 3 cycles on them, then the Pirellis sound like they're a tad bit faster and get decent amount of cycles still, which is just a bonus.