PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Body shop needed for gas tank replacement

dc16
02-13-2023, 04:27 PM
I need the best of the best dealership service dept that has or works with a body shop near their facility.

The issue is that my car needs a gas tank replacement. This job begins with removal of the roof of the car, going in top-down to get to the gas tank. So, it requires body work as well as mechanical work.

I prefer to have this done in Virginia, however, would be willing to go to another state for some place that can handle this job properly.

Recommendations appreciated.

13COBRA
02-13-2023, 04:31 PM
I mean, I would recommend Prefix.

Steve-Indy
02-13-2023, 04:32 PM
Prefix would be my first suggestion.

Would you care to share the reason that you need a new tank?

dc16
02-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Prefix would be my first suggestion.

Would you care to share the reason that you need a new tank?

Stuck valve in the gas tank. Gas can go in now, but very slowly.

dc16
02-13-2023, 04:43 PM
I mean, I would recommend Prefix.

Are you talking about facility in Rochester Hills, Michigan?

13COBRA
02-13-2023, 04:50 PM
Are you talking about facility in Rochester Hills, Michigan?

Yep!

ViperGeorge
02-13-2023, 05:54 PM
Are you sure it is your gas tank? If the EVAP line that runs from the driver's side firewall under the fuse box melts closed putting gas in the car would be slow. Sometimes they melt open which doesn't effect filling the tank. Cars with headers are particularly prone to the tube melting although it has happened on bone stock cars as well. The line is about 1/2" in black plastic. Check it where it runs from the firewall forward. If it is melted reroute it behind fuse box using 1/2" gas line.

Topplayer
02-13-2023, 06:38 PM
Check you vent tubes first, some melt some collapse.

dc16
02-13-2023, 07:21 PM
Are you sure it is your gas tank?
Yes

dc16
02-13-2023, 07:44 PM
The diagnosis involved removing all hoses possible and flowing gas through various components. The evap canister is good. All hoses are good. The only remaining variable is the gas tank itself.

When the tank is 1/2 full and I try to fill it, I can only fill it to about 13 gallons. Any more and it flows out. A day later, I can add the remaining 3 gallons.
When the tank is 1/4 full and I try to fill it, I can fill it all the way.
In both scenarios, the rate of the fill-up is very slow. I barely activate the gas nozzle. It takes several minutes to fill.

efnfast
02-13-2023, 07:56 PM
if you can more-or-less fill it up, then why bother given you have to chop up the car - the evap stuff in my daily driver is broken so it takes me like 3-4 minutes to fill up since the nozzle turns off every litre but i'm like 'whatever'

Martin
02-13-2023, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't replace the tank just for that. Mine does the same thing, more or less. If I use a race gas can, it's fine - but often the gas station nozzles just don't work right. I either have to sit there for as long as it takes to charge an EV, or pull back on the gas vapor recovery sleeve to break the seal. Not sure why that remedies the situation, but it seems to do the job most of the time. I have had some mistakes where the gas flowed out unexpectedly, but at least I got a full tank pretty quick.

GTS Dean
02-14-2023, 07:45 AM
Man, that's a crazy amount of work to correct that problem! I'd be looking at removing the fuel module and trying to snake a piece of nylon air hose up thru the vent hose each way to try and unplug/un-kink whatever is causing the issue. They can probably reach the vent nipple from the fuel module neck. There's probably some level of access with the wheel well liner removed.

ViperGeorge
02-14-2023, 08:53 AM
Two things, one I think the tank is a 16 gallon tank but there is an air pocket that prevents you from putting all 16 gallons in. Someone told be this has something to do with evaporative emissions although I can't swear to it. Second, isn't there an access panel on the top of the tank under the carpet? I think it is there so you can get to the in tank fuel pump. It would be crazy to have to take the roof off just to change a fuel pump hence the access panel.

Before diving into this I would call Scot at Prefix and ask him.

GTS Dean
02-14-2023, 10:01 AM
I think there's one, or more rollover protection ball check valve(s) somewhere in the vent system near the connectors. It's possible that is stuck and the hose(s) are clear.

AAA96
02-14-2023, 10:35 AM
I would agree not to chop up the car for that. I would sit at the gas station for an hour each time if necessary. Car will never be the same after you chop it. Just my worthless two cents.

Martin
02-14-2023, 12:21 PM
I think Dean is on track to figuring out what the problem is. The check valve issue may actually be more common than people think. So many of us complain that it's a bitch to get a full tank of gas in that there may be an issue affecting a bunch of us. It might be interesting to see if compressed air from the evap cannister connector can flow easily back to the gas tank.

I had a somewhat similar issue years ago with an engine that would inexplicably lose fuel pressure. It would be fine for a while and then it would just bog down. I did everything - new fuel filter, new (external) fuel pump, checked the fuel lines, etc. Finally, when it bogged down, I brought out the air compressor, used a rubber tipped air gun, and blasted air through the system. Sure enough, at first no air flowed - then all of a sudden it popped loose and I could hear the air bubbling up through the gas tank. Turned out to be some crap that got stuck in the system, and after draining the tank and removing the crap, it's been fine.

finalleaf
02-14-2023, 12:24 PM
I actually can't find a single gas station here in NorCal that will let me add fuel without me manually pulling the vapor return back and holding it while it pumps (no matter what angle i try), car's still under warranty so maybe dealer can figure it out

ACRSNK
02-14-2023, 12:29 PM
Filling the tank slowly is a common problem for a lot of us. No way I would chop anything on the car to fix it. Annoying…..yes, but a small price to pay. Regardless, as others have said, calling Prefix is your best bet. Keep us posted on how things go.

Martin
02-14-2023, 01:24 PM
I actually can't find a single gas station here in NorCal that will let me add fuel without me manually pulling the vapor return back and holding it while it pumps (no matter what angle i try), car's still under warranty so maybe dealer can figure it out

For me, filling up a few race gas cans and just filling the tank up from home has been the easiest thing to do. But, that doesn't work when on the road. In CA, I always have to pull that vapor return thing back. Otherwise, if I'm changing the angle of the nozzle it looks like it might break the filler (it looks like it deforms a bit). Definitely an annoyance, but it's not something that I would try and fix by tearing the car apart...

finalleaf
02-14-2023, 01:41 PM
In CA, I always have to pull that vapor return thing back.

interesting, even back when your car was new? or is this something developed over time

Nth Moto
02-14-2023, 01:53 PM
Just because I keep seeing the words "chop the car up" used... in case you're not aware, the roof is a bolt on affair on these cars. Nothing needs to be cut, or permanently modified to access the fuel tank via removing the quarters, roof, and rear tub.

That said, you obviously want to be well versed to do it and get everything sealed back up nicely. We're used to it, as it's part of the process to do our NHRA certified roll cages. It's a lot of steps, but it makes it kind of convenient compared to fixed roof vehicles in some ways.

ViperGeorge
02-14-2023, 04:29 PM
Yes

I could not fill up my Viper or my wife's SRT GC at our local gas station. No problem at other gas stations. Rotating the nozzle 180 degrees helped. Problem was resolved once the local station changed all their pumps. The EVAP device on the old pumps were just to sensitive for the cap less filling system. So, have you tried multiple stations to see if there is any difference in speed of fill? I would try everything before pulling the roof.

Martin
02-14-2023, 05:07 PM
Agree strongly with George. Pulling the roof, replacing the tank, and then having the exact same problem persist will be extremely frustrating.

As noted, filling with a gas can and tube is never a problem. At the gas station, especially in CA where everything EPA related is difficult, it's always a pain.

kbench55
02-15-2023, 09:48 AM
I could not fill up my Viper or my wife's SRT GC at our local gas station. No problem at other gas stations. Rotating the nozzle 180 degrees helped. Problem was resolved once the local station changed all their pumps. The EVAP device on the old pumps were just to sensitive for the cap less filling system. So, have you tried multiple stations to see if there is any difference in speed of fill? I would try everything before pulling the roof.

I had this exact same problem with my trackhawk. Every station was hit or miss if it would work properly. However, rotating the gas pump nozzle 180 degrees fixed the problem every time.

GTS Dean
02-15-2023, 10:35 AM
It's because the vent will not purge vapors as fast as the fuel displaces them. This causes the fuel to belch back up and trip the fuel nozzle liquid sensor inside. Turning the nozzle upside down orients the backsplash sensor as high in the filler neck as possible and it is shrouded by the fuel being dispensed into the tank. Next time you fill up, have a look inside the nozzle after you have completed the transaction and cleared the pump display and you should see what I'm talking about.