PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty from Dodge

ek1
01-31-2023, 09:50 AM
If anyone is interested, it turns out some Gen 5 Vipers might be eligible for an extended warranty from Dodge. I got a 7-year Mopar factory warranty on my 2016 when I bought it and it recently expired. I got this letter from Dodge in late December:

I called them and was able to buy another 5 years of warranty. It was very expensive (just over $9K), but I figured it was worth it being the factory warranty (no bullshit about approving claims, etc.) They also have payment plans available.

13COBRA
01-31-2023, 09:53 AM
If anyone is interested, it turns out some Gen 5 Vipers might be eligible for an extended warranty from Dodge. I got a 7-year Mopar factory warranty on my 2016 when I bought it and it recently expired. I got this letter from Dodge in late December:

I called them and was able to buy another 5 years of warranty. It was very expensive (just over $9K), but I figured it was worth it being the factory warranty (no bullshit about approving claims, etc.) They also have payment plans available.

You way overpaid.

Sniper
01-31-2023, 09:58 AM
Wow, yea way overpaid!

Mikey
01-31-2023, 09:59 AM
An engine rebuild is 8k

ek1
01-31-2023, 10:14 AM
Yeah, looks like it....oh well...lesson learned. At least it's from Dodge, so they won't be able to weasel out of accepting it.

Martin
01-31-2023, 10:24 AM
You do have the option of cancelling and getting a refund if you find another company that can do better. At least this way you have a guaranteed policy, and if you find something else, you can swap over. $9k is a lot of dough - and they won't let you bring the car to an independent shop that might treat you better.

13COBRA
01-31-2023, 10:30 AM
Yeah, looks like it....oh well...lesson learned. At least it's from Dodge, so they won't be able to weasel out of accepting it.

You can flat cancel it within 30 days of opening the policy and receive a 100% refund.

StrokerAce
01-31-2023, 10:37 AM
Hard to do warranty work if they don't have any parts.

Martin
01-31-2023, 11:33 AM

Quite simple, actually. They take your money, and when something goes wrong, you wait forever for the part to come in and you can't drive your car. Then, they show good profits on the Max Care program, and they get bonuses.

ek1
01-31-2023, 11:35 AM
You do have the option of cancelling and getting a refund if you find another company that can do better. At least this way you have a guaranteed policy, and if you find something else, you can swap over. $9k is a lot of dough - and they won't let you bring the car to an independent shop that might treat you better.

I am definitely not going with a 3rd party company. If I'm already wasting money on warranty, I want it to be directly from Dodge. Based on some posts here it looks like I can get the exact same warranty from another party for less. Am I right?

13COBRA
01-31-2023, 11:37 AM
I am definitely not going with a 3rd party company. If I'm already wasting money on warranty, I want it to be directly from Dodge. Based on some posts here it looks like I can get the exact same warranty from another party for less. Am I right?

I'm a Ford dealer. We primarily sell Zurich extended service contracts. No inspections, no wait time, if OEM parts are $3000, but not available, you can put in an aftermarket and they will cover up to the $3,000.

The 3rd party ones you DON'T want are the ones you get in the mail haha

finalleaf
01-31-2023, 01:35 PM

yep, get a quote from robbinsmotors, I got my mopar max care from there. IIRC around last May it was about 6k for 60month and $200 deductible for my 2013, might be even cheaper for your 2016

Martin
01-31-2023, 02:25 PM
yep, get a quote from robbinsmotors, I got my mopar max care from there. IIRC around last May it was about 6k for 60month and $200 deductible for my 2013, might be even cheaper for your 2016

I second this... One thing I learned early on is to never buy the warranty straight through Dodge. I got quoted a "friends and family" price that the sales guy swore was "the absolute lowest you'll see anywhere" that was more than twice what I already knew Clay could do. After that, I go to the sources that I know aren't going to screw me over. It's especially important now when the warranty is often unusable due to the parts shortage. In my recent window exploding situation, fortunately it is paying off - but I can think of a million things that would make the warranty worth just slightly more than the paper it's written on.

StrokerAce
01-31-2023, 02:28 PM
I'm a Ford dealer. We primarily sell Zurich extended service contracts. No inspections, no wait time, if OEM parts are $3000, but not available, you can put in an aftermarket and they will cover up to the $3,000.

The 3rd party ones you DON'T want are the ones you get in the mail haha

Wait a minute. My man Ice T said he keeps all his cars in running condition with Carshield. I mean, the commercial said they put and engine AND transmission in a guys car. Who does that? lol

V10powerr
01-31-2023, 02:40 PM
you should be able to cancel. also i was quoted 6400 yesterday for 5-60 maxcare from dodge

13COBRA
01-31-2023, 02:52 PM
Wait a minute. My man Ice T said he keeps all his cars in running condition with Carshield. I mean, the commercial said they put and engine AND transmission in a guys car. Who does that? lol

lol

Sadly, A LOT of people see those commercials and think they're a great idea.

Martin
01-31-2023, 03:02 PM
lol

Sadly, A LOT of people see those commercials and think they're a great idea.

Yup. I got suckered into one about 25 years ago that looked great on the surface, and it even worked great for one repair visit that I needed to do "away from the dealership". I learned my lesson. A big giveaway is where they're legally registered and headquartered. This particular extended warranty company was incorporated in the Bahamas if memory serves me. Literally overnight they closed up shop and the lawsuits started flying. Everyone got hosed over by them. Now, it's got to be the manufacturer's warranty or a recognized insurance company headquartered either here in the US, or underwritten by a very reputable firm like Lloyds or Zurich that have a legal presence here.

13COBRA
01-31-2023, 03:08 PM
Yup. I got suckered into one about 25 years ago that looked great on the surface, and it even worked great for one repair visit that I needed to do "away from the dealership". I learned my lesson. A big giveaway is where they're legally registered and headquartered. This particular extended warranty company was incorporated in the Bahamas if memory serves me. Literally overnight they closed up shop and the lawsuits started flying. Everyone got hosed over by them. Now, it's got to be the manufacturer's warranty or a recognized insurance company headquartered either here in the US, or underwritten by a very reputable firm like Lloyds or Zurich that have a legal presence here.

Absolutely. As mentioned above, I primarily sell Zurich contracts. 0 issues since I've been with them.

01sapphirebob
01-31-2023, 05:06 PM

This. :(

efnfast
01-31-2023, 08:52 PM
Absolutely. As mentioned above, I primarily sell Zurich contracts. 0 issues since I've been with them.

How much you sell one for a 2004 cobra with 275k miles on it?

13COBRA
02-01-2023, 07:42 AM
How much you sell one for a 2004 cobra with 275k miles on it?

There isn't a worth a shit company in the world that will offer a service contract on a 20 year old vehicle with 275,000 miles. Diesel contracts allow for higher mileage, but even they don't go that high.

I'm glad to hear you got such good use out of that thing though! Too many of them, like Vipers, are garage queens that never were able to stretch their legs.

efnfast
02-02-2023, 03:15 PM
There isn't a worth a shit company in the world that will offer a service contract on a 20 year old vehicle with 275,000 miles. Diesel contracts allow for higher mileage, but even they don't go that high.

I'm glad to hear you got such good use out of that thing though! Too many of them, like Vipers, are garage queens that never were able to stretch their legs.

i just replaced the front and rear fenders with carbon fiber panels this year since the OEMs were starting to rust ... i'm all in on getting to 500k.

13COBRA
02-02-2023, 05:01 PM
i just replaced the front and rear fenders with carbon fiber panels this year since the OEMs were starting to rust ... i'm all in on getting to 500k.

That's awesome, good for you! Pictures?

Did you see the ugly one that sold on BaT (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ford-mustang-svt-cobra-112/) today?

ACRSNK
02-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Besides the ugly paint work, that seemed like a good buy on a 1K mile Termi.