PDA

View Full Version : shammy or microfiber to dry

laney487
12-27-2022, 10:26 PM
So i been using good ole shammys since i was 16.. and still use today. i never noticed any negative effects using a shammy however viper clearcoat is very sensitive compared to modern clears, what is everyones consensus these days?

Junkman2008
12-28-2022, 12:16 AM
The Air Force Master Blaster. Because although you THINK that you are not doing anything wrong, you're destroying your clear coat. If you are using a shammy, I would hate to think of what you are doing when you wash it.

Junkman2008
12-28-2022, 12:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOjfB7Sl2Y

SuperBird4404BBL
12-28-2022, 07:07 AM
Air Force Master Blaster.........

Junkman2008
12-28-2022, 08:12 AM
One thing about drying your car with air. If your paint is all jacked up, it will take forever but if your paint is perfect, the water will RUSH off the car.

ViperSRT
12-28-2022, 11:41 AM
I am confused. When you guys say shammy do you mean chamois? If so I haven’t used one of them in over 20 years. Many better drying options available today, including the blow dry stated above.

Junkman2008
12-28-2022, 11:53 AM
Yea, he's talking about a chamois. But there are not that many guys classy enough to actually know how to properly spell it. You must be a college grad. :smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Steve M
12-28-2022, 12:12 PM
Shammy = Chamois, but in order to be truly called a chamois, it has to come from the absorbent region of France.

Junkman2008
12-28-2022, 12:39 PM
Well to be technically correct, it comes from the mammal that lives in the mountainous Alpine, Jura and Pyrenees regions of France.

laney487
12-28-2022, 11:43 PM
I wash it with a microfiber mit of course.. proly wash the car every other week or so... I am just curious because ive just always washed and dried my cars the same since i was 16 and used to do it for landscape company and thats all we ever used was the good ole shammy! or Chamois however you wanna call it these days. And i been washing my new vehicles with no issues ever the paint at all that i know of.. however i see people doing these air dryers just thinking i should get one and dry it out then too! Thanks for the advice man.. sorry im like 20 years in the past on these things.. just set in my ways i guess..

Junkman2008
12-29-2022, 12:15 AM
Your wash process.... do you only use one bucket?

Hawk
12-29-2022, 09:56 AM
These cordless Makita blowers work great https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7MX7YG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
If you have the batteries this cordless air pump kicks ass too https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q4ZDCKB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B095LYVHCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Junkman2008
12-29-2022, 10:03 AM
There is no way I would spin that much on a leaf blower when you can buy an electric one for $30 at Wally World. That's what I used for years until I bought my Master Blaster. Hell, if you are spending that much, you may as well buy a Master Blaster.

ViperTony
12-29-2022, 10:07 AM
There is no way I would spin that much on a leaf blower when you can buy an electric one for $30 at Wally World. That's what I used for years until I bought my Master Blaster. Hell, if you are spending that much, you may as well buy a Master Blaster.

I use a 20 year Sears electric leaf blower for the last 15 years on my Vipers LMAO.

Junkman2008
12-29-2022, 04:36 PM
I'm with you man. Electricity never needs charging.:drive:

laney487
12-29-2022, 09:07 PM
i use the clean bucket and dirty bucket thing.. I always been pretty meticulous, i just was saying ive always used a shammy drying my vehicles, but since you guys have a concensus that driers are better i went ahead and ordered one... i used to use a backpack blower on the pickup trucks a lot but just always been using the ole shammy since my first job i detailed trucks every saturday and sunday for a landscape company. My viper needs a good polish its always had the swirls in her so thats honestly my next project is to polish the car i have a polisher just havent felt confident to tackle myself on that.. need to watch some videos on that tbh, but my car gets the wash about every other drive honestly, i use meguires products and i use the hybrid solutions ceramic wax on it a few times a year.. . but i would surely appreciate the advice and techniques that other people use as i said above ive just been set in my ways since my first job and just started browsing the forums reading about the other stuff you guys are doing..

Junkman2008
12-29-2022, 09:29 PM
Seriously, I don't see anyone in this thread ridiculing you in any way. People are offering you advice, just as you reuested. I think that you are being a little sensitive with that.

As for the condition of your paint, the blow dryer works BEST when your paint is swirl-free. Swirls are damages to your clear coat or paint, which adversely affect how quick a blow dryer works on your paint. If you look at the damage in your paint under a microscope, it would look like mountains with crevices. Those crevices are what will cause the blow drying of your car to take longer than necessary so it is imparitive that you get that damage fixed as soon as possible in order to make your blow-drying process work as effentiantly as possible. I have an indepth video series posted on this forum that explains and shows the process so thoroughly that a caveman could do it. Before I blowdry my car with air, I first dry the car with water. Now did you read that correctly? Yes you did, but seeing is believing. If your paint is swirl-free, you can do the same exact thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAmb9DWdnFc

01sapphirebob
12-29-2022, 09:31 PM
The Air Force Master Blaster. Because although you THINK that you are not doing anything wrong, you're destroying your clear coat. If you are using a shammy, I would hate to think of what you are doing when you wash it.

Use this very same unit on my cars.

laney487
01-01-2023, 12:19 AM
thanks junkman, i willl be watching the videos and doing a polish on my car and get it to good as new again then! and ill try the drier out and see how i like it!

Junkman2008
01-01-2023, 01:28 AM
Here is the thread (https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/582-The-Mother-of-All-quot-How-to-Remove-Swirls-from-Your-Viper-s-Paint!-quot) with the video you want to watch.