PDA

View Full Version : Racing oil

theacr_viper
10-23-2022, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure it was talked about in the forums before but what is the down side of using racing oil in our track cars?
I have a prefix 9L with dry sump and it's mostly a track car!
I use AMSOIL Dominator 15w50. Runs great and it also has some Calcium in it which is a detergent. I need the extra anti wear additives that race oil provides, to get more life of the engine.

Do I need to switch back to a street oil from time to time? just to make sure it cleans the engine better? Or I could get away with engine flush products every time I do an oil change? Does anyone with a built motor run a street oil in their track car? and Why?

ViperGeorge
10-23-2022, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure it was talked about in the forums before but what is the down side of using racing oil in our track cars?
I have a prefix 9L with dry sump and it's mostly a track car!
I use AMSOIL Dominator 15w50. Runs great and it also has some Calcium in it which is a detergent. I need the extra anti wear additives that race oil provides, to get more life of the engine.

Do I need to switch back to a street oil from time to time? just to make sure it cleans the engine better? Or I could get away with engine flush products every time I do an oil change? Does anyone with a built motor run a street oil in their track car? and Why?

I have the Prefix 9 liter extreme motor. Dick Winkles says to just run Mobil One 15w50 in it. I track it often and the oil seems to work fine. I don't have an accusump or dry sump on it.

theacr_viper
10-23-2022, 07:46 PM
unfortunately we don't have mobil 1 15w50 in Dubai

Aevus
10-24-2022, 01:06 PM
AMSOIL Dominator 15w50

Most probably a great choice for Dubai climate

Aevus
10-24-2022, 01:08 PM
TKO mentionned lately Diesel engine oil (better/more additives) but I don't know much about that. I might try it with my new racy engine

StrokerAce
10-24-2022, 02:32 PM
I've been running it in my 440ci LS engine. Going to swap out for synthetic as I have about 1,500 miles on it since being built.

stradman
10-26-2022, 04:23 AM
I have the Prefix 9 liter extreme motor. Dick Winkles says to just run Mobil One 15w50 in it. I track it often and the oil seems to work fine. I don't have an accusump or dry sump on it.

Dick told me Mobil One 0w-60 is good and that's what I use. TBH I think it doesn't make a difference which oil you use as long as you change it regularly.

theacr_viper
10-27-2022, 04:37 PM
Dick told me Mobil One 0w-60 is good and that's what I use. TBH I think it doesn't make a difference which oil you use as long as you change it regularly.

Hey Alex, if you don't mind sharing what Mr Winkles think about jumping to a 60 weight oil! there is a lot of good 10w60 racing oil out there!

ViperGeorge
10-27-2022, 08:49 PM
TKO mentionned lately Diesel engine oil (better/more additives) but I don't know much about that. I might try it with my new racy engine

Dick Winkles specifically told me not to use Diesel oil. Too much detergent he said.

Aevus
10-27-2022, 09:44 PM
Dick Winkles specifically told me not to use Diesel oil. Too much detergent he said.

Even for a low-miles or rebuilt engine?

ViperGeorge
10-28-2022, 09:30 AM
Even for a low-miles or rebuilt engine?

Yes, he made no distinction. He said the additive package is too much for a gasoline engine. It had come up because I had told him I was using 10w40 Diesel Truck oil in my Viper. He told me not to and to switch to 15W50 for track use. I don't remember exactly which oil he said to use for street but not Diesel for sure. If memory serves I don't think he was a fan of 0W oils.

Old School
10-28-2022, 09:34 AM
Yes, he made no distinction. He said the additive package is too much for a gasoline engine.

Did he make a distinction with/without cats?

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
10-28-2022, 10:25 AM
Yes, he made no distinction. He said the additive package is too much for a gasoline engine. It had come up because I had told him I was using 10w40 Diesel Truck oil in my Viper. He told me not to and to switch to 15W50 for track use. I don't remember exactly which oil he said to use for street but not Diesel for sure. If memory serves I don't think he was a fan of 0W oils.

Alot of engine builders aren't aware of all the street car gasoline engine oil formula changes that have occurred in recent years due to government climate policies. The off the shelf gasoline engine oils available in the US are not what they use to be 12-15 or even 5 years ago. The gasoline engine oils they have in Europe are slightly better then whats available to us in the US because their climate polices are a little different.
Best oil options we have found for high performance engines are diesel engine oils w/using an additive or "offroad use racing oils". The diesel engine oils we have found are better for street driven weekend track cars. The offroad racing oils are better for track only cars.

ViperGeorge
10-28-2022, 02:00 PM
Alot of engine builders aren't aware of all the street car gasoline engine oil formula changes that have occurred in recent years due to government climate policies. The off the shelf gasoline engine oils available in the US are not what they use to be 12-15 or even 5 years ago. The gasoline engine oils they have in Europe are slightly better then whats available to us in the US because their climate polices are a little different.
Best oil options we have found for high performance engines are diesel engine oils w/using an additive or "offroad use racing oils". The diesel engine oils we have found are better for street driven weekend track cars. The offroad racing oils are better for track only cars.

You could be correct but Dick built the engines including the 9 liter extreme. I guess I would check with him before switching back to Diesel oil.

J TNT
10-28-2022, 02:12 PM
I chatted with Dick at his garage 6 weeks ago. He recommended Mobil 1 High mileage engine oil. Higher Zinc content.

Aevus
10-28-2022, 04:02 PM
I'll split 50/50 diesel oil and racing oil, problem solved (without too much detergent).

:witless: