PDA

View Full Version : New Z06 gets a vert option

ViperSmith
04-11-2014, 05:11 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140411/NEWYORK/140419966

This is the new 2015 Corvette Z06 convertible, the Stingray for owners who want it all, shown a little earlier than we expected. Buyers get the Z06 engine, racing suspension and brakes, and now, for the first time since 1963, they can get that package with a convertible top, as we'll see at the New York auto show.

http://autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/20140411/NEWYORK/140419966/AR/0/2015-Chevy-Corvette-Z06-convertible.jpg&maxW=630

Schen
04-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Did you read the comments about the car? Holy cow, completely polarizing compared to the coupe. People are cringing at the fact most motorsports associations won't except this on a track of any kind. And they don't seem to excited about the 8-spd auto. I'm genuinely surprised about what's being said but GM has to trim some models too. I don't expect the Grand Sport to come back anytime soon.

Kinda puts the Gen III/IV verts into perspective. Suddenly those 'roll hoops' are a pretty big deal!

I'll let you know how it looks on Wednesday. Still have yet to see the coupe too.

--RS

ACRucrazy
04-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I think that is a good lookin ride right there.

FrgMstr
04-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Hard to argue with that.

slitherv10
04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
went to a few chevy dealers last week and if you want one around here....its a waiting list. They are on back order...every vette. Price is 68K...not bad for what your getting. The ZL1 was 60K+tax...66K for the convertible.

J TNT
04-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Nice car , Does it come in " Mens !".......lol ! :witless:

commandomatt
04-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Good looking car. Great color for this model. I cant tell if this is an actual picture or a photoshop but I like it

Coloviper
04-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Still has that rear end, even if they took the top off! Interesting move though as I had not seen that one coming from Chevy!

Sybil TF
04-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Love the color.

99RT10
04-12-2014, 10:26 PM
what a beautiful car.....................

Leslie
04-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Yeh, saw that pic on facebook.
Love the color.
I wouldn't buy it because I couldn't take it on a roadcourse without changing some things.
Lotta car for the $ that's for sure!

Brian GTS
04-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Okay, that's one nice looking machine right there....wow! Gotta say, GMs got it going on with the vette....

gerch85
04-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Looks great

Shooter
04-14-2014, 11:12 PM
The 1st C7 Z06 went for $1,000,000 at Barret Jackson last weekend.
I'm looking forward to see what that car is capable of on the track.

shine
04-15-2014, 05:43 AM
GM saw what Dodge did with the few ACR Roadsters and decided, hey, not a bad idea.

I never had a problem passing tech inspection, but then, they assumed that if I was taking a crazy thing like this on the track, I knew what I was doing.

http://media.torquedracingsolutions.com/Track-Days/Putnam-Park-September-2011/Group-B-and-C/i-5FpXSHk/1/L/DSC1720-L.jpg

KNG SNKE
04-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Top folds down up to 30mph huh. That should prove interesting.

FrgMstr
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
GM saw what Dodge did with the few ACR Roadsters and decided, hey, not a bad idea.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with what Dodge did. Not exactly the first time the Corvette has been topless in sport form. I think this all comes down to GM doing a hell of a job with the frame rigidity and feeling comfortable putting that monster LS4 in it.

Creatre
04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I still don't understand though fully. My understanding is the "hard top" of the new ZO6 has a removable roof. If they were planning a vert, why do the removable roof? Seems like a full hardtop version would be more efficient for the die hard track peeps.

FrgMstr
04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
I still don't understand though fully. My understanding is the "hard top" of the new ZO6 has a removable roof. If they were planning a vert, why do the removable roof? Seems like a full hardtop version would be more efficient for the die hard track peeps.

From my understanding the Vert and the Coupe with the roof panel removed are about equal in rigidity. I THINK the coupe is about 60% more rigid with the carbon fiber roof panel in. Surely that will matter to some buyers. And still have the option to pop the top panel if you want.

Just my personal preference here but I think it addresses your thoughts: I will never buy a coupe Viper or Vette. I would however consider the Vette coupe with the "targa" top. I think GM is making a car that is more optioned to pull in more buyers.

GBS
04-15-2014, 02:28 PM
It looks good but I still like a coupe.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Tools/2015_Corvette_Z06_Reveal/01_images/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-DT-cnt-well-1-980x316-02.jpg

slitherv10
04-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Like this or Like that....

They are flying off the shelves !!

Now if only SRT and the Viper can hang on tight for a while.

The viper is reaching for bigger and better things and thus, is going to have to pay a little to gain a little.

I would still prefer a few year old SL550 in my driveway with a Viper than a New Vette for 70K.

ACRucrazy
04-15-2014, 06:14 PM
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/10173539_653347981381729_6347203653099373881_n.jpg

Policy Limits
04-15-2014, 06:59 PM
If the new Z06 targa is 90 something thou I'd bet the Z06 vert will run six figs. Great performance machine from what I've read; too bad it so closely resembles the dime a dozen base model.

FrgMstr
04-15-2014, 07:03 PM
If the new Z06 targa is 90 something thou I'd bet the Z06 vert will run six figs. Great performance machine from what I've read; too bad it so closely resembles the dime a dozen base model.

Maybe they should put a huge ass wing on the back so there is no mistaking it?

Policy Limits
04-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Even if went ACR route with big ass wing drivers stripe and special aero it's difficult to separate it. 30,000 annual units of the base ruins it. Too bad they didn't just make the Z06 and ZR1 and no base. That would solve it. With Vipers everyone is special. That's the difference I guess.

Other thing is the C7 paint job is no Prefix job. Holy orange peel batman. Still lots of bang for the buck. The Z06 looks so killer performance wise, I don't see how they could make a ZR1 to take the flagship spot.

slitherv10
04-15-2014, 08:12 PM
]Even if went ACR route with big ass wing drivers stripe and special aero it's difficult to separate it[/B]. 30,000 annual units of the base ruins it. Too bad they didn't just make the Z06 and ZR1 and no base. That would solve it. With Vipers everyone is special. That's the difference I guess.

Other thing is the C7 paint job is no Prefix job. Holy orange peel batman. Still lots of bang for the buck. The Z06 looks so killer performance wise, I don't see how they could make a ZR1 to take the flagship spot.

You know,,

The only difference between the Viper Coupe and ACR was the wing and splitter.

Lots of guys put wings and splitters on their coupes and made ACR look a likes. So, its no different than what your saying now.

Even the Verts were done with aero packages.

The ZR1 will come and when it does, watch out !!

It all nice and dandy to sit here and degrade the Vette, but, the truth of the matter is, they are selling out and in demand.

There is nothing bad about the car. you cannot compare it to the Viper. The Viper is after all, almost double the price in some instances.

Compare the Viper to the 12C and see what transpires. Not a fair trade off.

The Vette is a great buy and bang for your buck at 70K. Hands down no arguments. It shows in their sales.

Policy Limits
04-15-2014, 08:22 PM
U imply its great that there's so many sales and therefore so many out there. That's the exact reason I can't order one and the exact reason I traded my C6 in for a Lambo. When something is common and seen everywhere it doesn't seem special or unique or exotic. It's a great deal for what u get. Lots of bang for the buck. But loses 50% value inside of two years, its mass produced and feels ordinary when you pass by five or six on the road in a single trip. On the other hand, I've never driven past a viper from any generation while in my snake and I like that exclusivity factor.

99RT10
04-15-2014, 08:31 PM
The Vette is a great buy and bang for your buck at 70K. Hands down no arguments. It shows in their sales.

Well said and the proof is in the pudding............. Or sales.

FrgMstr
04-15-2014, 08:39 PM
I don't think anybody here is arguing the exclusivity of the Viper vs the Corvette. I love my Viper and the fact that you just do not see Vipers on the road. Its presence is second to almost none. It is one of the reasons I own one, but performance was the BIGGEST reason I own a Viper.

No doubt that Z06 will soon lose the newness due to the numbers of base Vettes you will see on the roads, just like the older generations.

But compare the driving value of the new Z06 to new Viper and all of a sudden that Z06 is looking even sweeter, exclusivity or not. I have yet to see a Z06 on the streets so it will be interesting to see what kind of presence it brings with it over the base Corvette.

Chevy is doing things right with the new Corvettes. And there is little argument to prove that statement wrong.

commandomatt
04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
You know,,

The only difference between the Viper Coupe and ACR was the wing and splitter.

Not quite true.

Wing, Splitter, Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension and of course unique optional paint schemes. Maybe something else that I don't know about.

I do agree that you really can not compare the Viper to the Vette. Its however inevitably going to happen since these two are really the only American made, front engine, high HP and very capable sports cars available. They will always be compared by magazines and people that don't understand the difference between and limited production hand built car and a mass produced cookie cutter offering.

Performance wise I really wish that the Viper was superior to the Vette in every respect but unfortunately this is not the case

Shooter
04-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Not quite true.

Wing, Splitter, Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension and of course unique optional paint schemes. Maybe something else that I don't know about.

ACR also has a bigger sway bar.

FrgMstr
04-15-2014, 09:44 PM
I do agree that you really can not compare the Viper to the Vette. <snip> Performance wise I really wish that the Viper was superior to the Vette in every respect but unfortunately this is not the case

I think you just argued your own point there. And the reason I point this out, is not to be a dick about it, but to underline that this is what I was trying to get across above. Exclusivity that the Viper offers is about all that SRT has left in its corner with the new Vette on the market. And let's not fool ourselves. If Dodge could make and sell the Viper at the level of success that Chevrolet does with the Corvette, it would be selling those cars.

Yeah, I know this thread started about the Z06 convertible, but we got somewhere else. When I decide to get out of my Gen IV Vert, I am just saying that the '15 Z06 Vert is going to be high up on the list. I like to let someone else take that first year depreciation hickey. Let's face it, there will be many of those Z06 cars that were driven by housewives and folks that never took the car close to the limits. So there will be some sweet deals out there. If I can have a car that will go topless and offer better performance than the Viper while likely costing less, I am all over that. Then the entire modding and upgrade market to support the LSX is HUGE compared to the Viper.

A lot of folks here are just fans of Vipers...only. I get that and appreciate it. I am not a Viper brand loyalist, so I guess that makes me odd man out to some degree. But if SRT is looking at the Z06 Vette through rose colored glasses, SRT will not be around much longer.

commandomatt
04-15-2014, 10:54 PM
The point I was making was that I don't feel like the Viper and the Vette is in the same class and should therefore be compared. Just like the Viper and a Ferrari is not in the same class. Very few Ferrari owners would ever consider a Viper to replace their F cars. This even if the Viper outperforms it.

I personally would not choose the Vette just because it may outperform the Viper. Sure its impressive what they have done and I actually like the radical styling change from the previous generation. Still wouldn't buy one.

However, I hope that we will see more power in the future Vipers to somewhat regain that status of being the most outrageous American car offered

GBS
04-16-2014, 12:38 AM
I think the viper and Z06 are in the same class and compete against each other for sales. I like both cars. In my own case I been considering getting a Gen V, but I must admit I now I'm also considering a C7 Z07. No matter which way I go, I'm still going to keep my 02 ACR. I love that car. As far as the Gen V and C7 Z06 go, I would love to have both cars but currently only 1 car is in my budget and the looks, performance and price of the C7 Z06 make it very appealing.

Policy Limits
04-26-2014, 11:47 AM
It's a close call but the gen V is the same price, sexier and more exclusive.

Policy Limits
06-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Horsepower just released on Z06: 650 ponies. Time for the new ACR. ;)

Chorps
06-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Horsepower just released on Z06: 650 ponies. Time for the new ACR. ;)

To compete it would have to be an ACR vert. ;)

Policy Limits
06-06-2014, 09:38 PM
True with targa as an alternative option.