PDA

View Full Version : Emergency windshield for a 2016

jrubin80
09-14-2022, 11:30 PM
Does anyone within a couple of hours drive of Laguna Seca have a windshield that will fit a gen V? There was a large crack that happened 15 minutes before starting to load the trailer for Nationals. We do not know yet if it will pass tech inspection. If a certain person sees it the weekend is over, and something NOT a Viper will bring home the plastic trophy.

ViperGeorge
09-15-2022, 08:52 AM
Does anyone within a couple of hours drive of Laguna Seca have a windshield that will fit a gen V? There was a large crack that happened 15 minutes before starting to load the trailer for Nationals. We do not know yet if it will pass tech inspection. If a certain person sees it the weekend is over, and something NOT a Viper will bring home the plastic trophy.

Josh, There is one on eBay for $1600+.

13COBRA
09-15-2022, 09:19 AM
Josh I'm so sorry man, that's shit luck. I'd try TKO in Reno... or maybe Dan Cragin? Wonder if it would pass tech if it had one of those plastic windshield screens over the top?

https://protintshop.com/products/dodge-viper-windshieldstack4-layer-tear-off

chris_lee
09-15-2022, 09:29 AM
Sounds crazy but I’ve seen some very large cracks made damn near invisible by those windshield crack repair guys. Just throwing stuff out there.

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
09-15-2022, 11:29 AM
Get a tear off cut to fit kit from pro-tint and drop ship to track or hotel. Cross your fingers and roll through tech. If its not pro racing tech inspect you should be just fine.

jrubin80
09-15-2022, 01:07 PM
Thank you everyone for the ideas. Disaster averted for now. I had a fresh annual tech done and signed off. They told me there could be issue later but did sign off and put sticker on. Plan C is tonight getting 3 packs of the windshield repair and diy it (a glass company already saw it and wouldn’t touch it) And as TKO said, I’m gonna try and get the tear off kit ordered also. Last I’m finding a sponsor windshield banner from anyone here and using that. And as Toyo pays almost nothing for a win/podium here, it can be any banner. Looking forward to Yokohama as a NASA sponsor next season in TT1. I appreciate all the quick ideas, you guys rock!!

Arizona Vipers
09-15-2022, 01:42 PM
So you don't have to tech again at the event? Are you there now? I think it's practice day today, right?

jrubin80
09-15-2022, 02:23 PM
Yea today is just practice. Just came in from my first session. Way less grip on track than I’m used to. 13 seconds off what it’s gonna take to win. It’s gonna take a 1:32 to win TT2 I think.

13COBRA
09-15-2022, 03:21 PM
Yea today is just practice. Just came in from my first session. Way less grip on track than I’m used to. 13 seconds off what it’s gonna take to win. It’s gonna take a 1:32 to win TT2 I think.

I agree.

Laguna Seca does not have grip, and really isn't know for it.

I bet the first time through the corkscrew was a pucker factor haha

Ben Sloss spends a lot of time out there, he has some good in car footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-ewUNoPcw

RedTanRT/10
09-15-2022, 07:18 PM

JRubin, what kind of G5 do you have? Must be a non-aero on street tires right? I didn't know a G5 could be in TT2. Best wishes and be safe!!!

I agree.

Laguna Seca does not have grip, and really isn't know for it.

I bet the first time through the corkscrew was a pucker factor haha

Ben Sloss spends a lot of time out there, he has some good in car footage.

Nick, Ben is a great guy, we met him a few years ago, supper fast amateur!! Ton's of his video's on line. 1st time I met him he had his Sena, there' also a video of him when he bought a purple G5 ACR-E

The scariest part of the Corkscrew is braking before it!!! Lot's of speed and you see the catch fence in front of you. I think the scariest part is the front straight, I can hit it at say 135, I think Ben is at 150, completely blind coming over the crest and to be fast you have to stay on the gas as you go over. Trickiest part, look at Ben's video, the left hander (Rainey) after the Corkscrew. You can see how he lifts there, off camber turn and I've wiggled too many times!! You gotta get out here next year. In mid-November they'll close it down and repave.

Arizona Vipers
09-15-2022, 07:31 PM

If you already tech'd, you should be good on grid. If the asphalt is that slippery, yeah sounds like a lower power car with slicks will probably win the class (Tage rings a bell here lol). Good luck and stay safe!

13COBRA
09-15-2022, 07:53 PM
JRubin, what kind of G5 do you have? Must be a non-aero on street tires right? I didn't know a G5 could be in TT2. Best wishes and be safe!!!

Nick, Ben is a great guy, we met him a few years ago, supper fast amateur!! Ton's of his video's on line. 1st time I met him he had his Sena, there' also a video of him when he bought a purple G5 ACR-E

The scariest part of the Corkscrew is braking before it!!! Lot's of speed and you see the catch fence in front of you. I think the scariest part is the front straight, I can hit it at say 135, I think Ben is at 150, completely blind coming over the crest and to be fast you have to stay on the gas as you go over. Trickiest part, look at Ben's video, the left hander (Rainey) after the Corkscrew. You can see how he lifts there, off camber turn and I've wiggled too many times!! You gotta get out here next year. In mid-November they'll close it down and repave.

Planning on it! I'm not sure I can make the noise restriction though.

finalleaf
09-15-2022, 08:22 PM
1:32 will be pretty hard without aero/slicks on a stockish Gen V, will lose quite a bit of time on T4 / 6 and 9

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
09-16-2022, 09:20 AM
1:32 will be pretty hard without aero/slicks on a stockish Gen V, will lose quite a bit of time on T4 / 6 and 9

laguna is always low grip early for one reason or another. The sand blows onto to track if there is any type of wind, this lowers grip for first runs. Since your close to the ocean it gets a layer of moisture every night, so treat it like a green track in the mornings; Race line will start clearing and begin rubbering up after 3-4 sessions most of the time if there is no fog. This time of year ( beginning indian summer ) best time to do some work is 11am to about 2pm. Target your setup and driving for your run time.

jrubin80
09-16-2022, 12:37 PM
JRubin, what kind of G5 do you have? Must be a non-aero on street tires right? I didn't know a G5 could be in TT2. Best wishes and be safe!!.

2016 ACR-E. Stock other than wheels and tires. Running Toyo RRs.

jrubin80
09-16-2022, 12:42 PM
If you already tech'd, you should be good on grid. If the asphalt is that slippery, yeah sounds like a lower-power car with slicks will probably win the class (Tage rings a bell here lol). Good luck and stay safe!
I think your are right. I know one of the front-running Mustangs rolled during the practice day Wednesday. Another driver from my region Jake Latham is already running 34's today in ST practice. Our WarmUp/Qualifying is tonight, but the grid is based on the date/time of signup....So yea it'll be odd. I am going to get my 34/35 early and logged, and then play with setup a little to dial in.

I take back what I have previously said about Toyo RRs having the same grip to 25 heat cycles....I dropped from 43s to 38s with just a switch to stickers in last session.

RedTanRT/10
09-16-2022, 03:16 PM
2016 ACR-E. Stock other than wheels and tires. Running Toyo RRs.

Got it, I thought that combo would put you in TT1. Glad to read you're down to 38's. Where did the Mustang roll?

finalleaf
09-16-2022, 03:23 PM
Got it, I thought that combo would put you in TT1. Glad to read you're down to 38's. Where did the Mustang roll?
from his post it seems like he lost the brakes going into the corkscrew

jrubin80
09-16-2022, 07:46 PM
I’m glad to know he is ok. I didn’t see it happen.