PDA

View Full Version : Fluid changes for track use

Hawk
09-10-2022, 01:40 PM
How often are you changing your engine oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid when using your car for track use?
Thanks
Dennis

13COBRA
09-10-2022, 03:16 PM
I changed engine oil after every weekend.

I change the transmission and rear diff fluid twice a year.

Arizona Vipers
09-12-2022, 01:35 PM
Engine oil after every event for me. The tranny and diff fluid a lot less often, once a year max. But I don't do many laps

TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM
09-12-2022, 04:42 PM
Street/ track car using good lubricants (no race fuel pump gas only), 20 min sessions track days and drive on street a bit

Engine oil............... Every other track weekend is fine with a good oil. If you drive alot in between events then after every track event is good cheap insurance
Trans and Dif............... Twice a year if you track 3-4 times a year and drive on street to work or weekends. Once again cheap insurance
Radiator..................... once a year. ( no dex cool)
Brakes.................... Fresh fluid every event. Good idea if you can bleed brakes after every track day.
Clutch.................... Fresh before every track day. Fresh after track weekend. 5th gen you hope for the best on this one.
Power steering......... Once a year is usually good

All this also depends on how you drive and conditions. If your hard on the brakes well then maybe you want to bleed brakes at the track after a few sessions. If it was 100F air temp and car got hot then not a bad idea to change engine oil after they event and have a look at the coolant.

Hawk
09-12-2022, 05:50 PM
The track events I attend usually have 6-20 minute sessions. I have been changing my oil and differential fluid every other track day and my transmission fluid every 4 track days. I do not have a diff cooler yet so I have been changing it frequently . I wasn’t sure what was common practice with this.
Thank you for the input

Bill Pemberton
09-12-2022, 06:47 PM
The problem with stating how often one should change fluids is folks seldom ask how many sessions one gets over a weekend, or how long they last? Since you mentioned six 20 minutes sessions that helps ascertain a bit better what would be a good time frame to change fluids. There are a couple of track cars sold by Manufacturers over the past decade and the time frame for racing conditions is to change fluids after 4-6 hours of track time. That would put your fluid changes right at 2 weekends, since you won't likely change half way through a third weekend. I think the time frame you have been using is great, very similar to what I have done for decades, and I too changed my rear end fluid after 2-3 weekends always , because I seldom had a diff cooler in my vehicles and Vipers get the diff fluid hot on track even with a cooler. This pretty much lines up with what TKO is suggesting and as noted it is all cheap insurance! The brakes and clutch fluid change TKO noted, after every event, is the one area many fail to do and each is extremely important --- especially the brake fluid!

13COBRA
09-13-2022, 08:25 AM
^^^ Bill will swap your fluids for free.

Bill Pemberton
09-14-2022, 06:16 AM
Dang I can't help since I don't even have a lift, but if you go to Chuck Anderson Ford in Excelsior Springs, Nick and crew will give you a 50% discount if you just mention you are a VOA member!

13COBRA
09-14-2022, 09:10 AM
Dang I can't help since I don't even have a lift, but if you go to Chuck Anderson Ford in Excelsior Springs, Nick and crew will give you a 50% discount if you just mention you are a VOA member!

Haha